Man getting motivated is hard

-
Happy Birthday John.
I think you're suffering from the same thing as me, post winter blues, happy it's over but not quite summer. I need days and days of sun to recharge my body, cloudy cold weather takes the life right out of me.

I had my transmission almost ready to pull (30 more minutes) three days ago and I finally got my butt in the shop at 6pm tonight to actually pull it out. At almost 66 (tomorrow) I’m glad I can do it physically but mentally has been a challenge. I cut back walking to three days a week to give my knees some relief and now I’m up to 1.8 miles so View attachment 1715895218 View attachment 1715895219 I’ll hit my 2.2 mile target next week. My new Lift Stands worked great with the only issue being it wouldn’t clear the oil pan but I was able to tilt it on the jack and slide it out by the passenger door. Something I couldn’t do with the Kwik Lift.

Have a great birthday Pittsburgracer, wish I was 66 again.
Since everyone is showing their age, let's go for the gold. I'm 74 and work everyday at our aircraft repair FBO. Sheet metal, engine and electrical repair. And when I get home I work on my cars, or what ever my wife has lined up for me. I believe if I stopped and sat on my ***, I wouldn't be sitting here typing. :)

Regaining lost motivation is harder than the actual job at hand.

Well John and guys, I am in the 66 year old crowd too. Two days ago I finally crawled under my 69 Dodge Polara 500 convertible for a two hour job. Eight hours later I was cleaning up the mess I made and was realizing that trying to work underneath a car while on my back on the ground is not something I really want to do again. The car is on my sloped driveway which made jacking up the car a little risky. My Duster occupies my garage and the Kwik Lift. I haven’t touched the Duster in 5 years.
I keep getting motivation from all of you guys. I just need to act on the motivation more often.
Thanks guys.

What keeps me motivated and working 12 Hours every day between
the Trailer Building and Race Cars and Equipment = I have seen my friends
retire and sit on the couch and watch TV -- Then they are dead in a year or two.
Kinda like a Car that is Parted too long!

My kids promised me that on the Day of my funeral = I only have to work till Noon
and then I can go home and get dressed for my funeral!

I seldom take a Break!
I will catch up on my Sleep when I am Dead!

My buddy and I were talking the other day and he told me he’s to the point where stuff like porting heads is getting harder and harder for him too. He’s retired from Wyotech and still does engine assembly as a small business. Friends will stop in later in the day to visit or have a beer and BS. We both have kids that race but are older so we don’t share workloads like we used to. My son with be home this weekend to tear the 8 3/4 out of his duster to have a 9 inch built to the same dimensions so I’ll enjoy seeing him and loaning him a hand. He’s also upgrading to a powerglide and I have a shortblock I’m going to loan him. When I see him getting his truck and trailer ready I’ll do up a set of heads for him. He will be racing at Norwalk and Dragway 42 so I’ll race with him a couple times a year now but just knowing he’s out again after 4 years will make me happy.

I can only hope I’m still wrenching at your age. Taking a long time to get something done is still better than giving up.

I absolutely hate body work which has taken its toll on my motivation. I don’t care if I have to drive this car without a windshield this year, there will be violent 1-2 shifts with screaming tires.

Big thanks to the social security crowd for the motivation/endless knowledge.

Happy Birthday

74. I just get a little tire'd a little quick'er. I got down on the floor...call a crane and get my *** back up!!??
When ya stop movin, ya start dyin!! Someone please chase my *** around the pasture!:steering::thankyou::thumbsup:

Happy Birthday! I hear you on the lack of motivation, I have been suffering from the same thing for a while. My car has been stuck in pieces for about a year now. Not sure I would have torn it apart if I knew it was going to drag out like this.

Happy B-day, hope You had a great one! Get Your beauty sleep in & go at it again on the morrow!

At 63 it's hard turning motavation into action, I have thousands of dollars in parts for one of my projects all over my place but just can't get going. Problem is that the number of some days is running out....

At 63 it's hard turning motavation into action, I have thousands of dollars in parts for one of my projects all over my place but just can't get going. Problem is that the number of some days is running out....
I get that. I actually do ok once I get started? (Obviously don't have the 10+ hours stamina.)

I think we need a posted trick on getting "Started?" (And not one of them damn Frank Thomas "Nugenix" commercials. Lol.)

I get that. I actually do ok once I get started? (Obviously don't have the 10+ hours stamina.)

I think we need a posted trick on getting "Started?" (And not one of them damn Frank Thomas "Nugenix" commercials. Lol.)
My wife puts her boot up my *** and demands to get 'er done! Wait,, thats me getting her projects DONE!

Once I get motivated and get started on a project I will keep at it until I'm done, unless it's a large multi day job I stay at it until well after my body has told me to take a break. Then I suffer for a few days from the overexertion, ***** about how tired and sore I am, but do it all over again the next time.
I spent most of the last 3 summers in the garage working on some pos or another. Last year's vacation time was spent on renovations in my house, and of course 2020 was all about covid, so no vacation then either, spent it all in the garage. I have been thinking about just taking this summer off and not starting any projects that are more than a day or two at the most. Of course it will depend on what my wife has in mind too. I have even been considering selling everything and downsizing, but I don't think she's really ready for that yet.

Happy birthday PBR.
I can relate to the lack of motivation, I'm just shy of 59 years, so a little younger than you and several others here. I find that by the time I get home from work I have zero ambition to do anything, then the weekend comes, my wife wants to do something or go somewhere, it doesn't take a lot to convince me to go along, plus I like to visit my mother when I get a chance. Just seems like the older I get, the faster time goes by. The irony is that now that I have the big garage, and the hoist, all the tools and equipment, I don't have the desire.
Holy **** guys, I thought it was just me!
I'll be 60 in August, and I feel like i'm 85.....
I find that I really have to push myself to get motivated these days.
However, once I do, as I get stuff done I wonder why the lack of motivation in the first place?
Just gettin' old I guess....

I recently tried something that seems to help. My shop is about 150 feet from the front door of my shop so for safety and health reasons I have to take my phone to my shop. I also hook my phone up to my stereo for music and now I’ve been trying to set the dog-gone phone down and mot touch it till I’ve accomplished something that I set out to do instead of going on Abodiesonly, Moparts, Facebook, summit racing website, or even the stock market. So far so good.

First, Happy Birthday!
58 in june. Arthritis in hips knees and low back. Some muscle issues in my legs, getting down on floor and back up is honestly painful. I work at home fixing cars for a living, couldnt do it without a hoist that’s for sure. The past month has been one vehicle, 80 firebird sheet metal work. Im in it for the long haul. Owner is pushing 70 and walks/rides bike every day. He’s in damn good shape. Im putting him to work next week,cleaning and painting floor in car. My motivation, i enjoy it. Lots of youtube videos i watch when i take breaks.

First, Happy Birthday!
58 in june. Arthritis in hips knees and low back. Some muscle issues in my legs, getting down on floor and back up is honestly painful. I work at home fixing cars for a living, couldnt do it without a hoist that’s for sure. The past month has been one vehicle, 80 firebird sheet metal work. Im in it for the long haul. Owner is pushing 70 and walks/rides bike every day. He’s in damn good shape. Im putting him to work next week,cleaning and painting floor in car. My motivation, i enjoy it. Lots of youtube videos i watch when i take breaks.

8 foot ceilings so a hoist is a no go for me so it’s the floor for lift for me. 48 years plus of working on the floor at my millwright job and car work at home. With two bad knees I’ll probably have to get a couple new ones some day along with hearing aids, weight loss, and a few other body issues repaired. You either laugh about it or cry so I’d rather laugh. Our sermon today was on the new body we are going to get as believers.

Got out to the garage early this afternoon, actually got a lot more done than I had planned.
:thumbsup:
Now I'm tired and sore, having a cold one and some hotdogs for dinner.

Church, spaghetti lunch out with my son and girlfriend visiting from Ohio, (he paid for my birthday) and ordered all the parts needed to repair my transmission. All in all a great day to be alive.

8 foot ceilings so a hoist is a no go for me so it’s the floor for lift for me. 48 years plus of working on the floor at my millwright job and car work at home. With two bad knees I’ll probably have to get a couple new ones some day along with hearing aids, weight loss, and a few other body issues repaired. You either laugh about it or cry so I’d rather laugh. Our sermon today was on the new body we are going to get as believers.

When I'm under the car and I need the next size wrench !!!! Frustrating to deal with. The legs don't last very long nowadays. So it's not only the physical problems, but also the mental stress of not being able to do what you once did. I can only imagine the mental stress you must be going through ever since Brady announced he's coming out of retirement.

-
Back