Mancini rocker questions...

-
You could just take the blocks to a machine shop and have em skim cut to whatever clearance you want since right now you’re at zero.

Just keep in mind the whole aim of this project is to center the rocker on the valve tip. Then worry about setting clearance

I know you need them now but just a heads up. I order stuff like this during the Black Friday 40% off sale. I get free shipping on my orders and no tax so it’s a triple win win win. Some stuff is so cheap you buy it just to have it.
The problem is not knowing what i need til i need it :) This whole car has been like that though, it's supposed to be a long term thing so i shouldn't be getting my panties in a wad.. it's just getting so close i can almost feel it driving :)

I don't get how i used to throw a car together in 2 days when i was 20 though, parts were everywhere in the mid 80s though, need a rear end.. there are 3 behind my shed take one..

Just keep in mind the whole aim of this project is to center the rocker on the valve tip. Then worry about setting clearance
Yep it takes a little more than just adding shims.
More times than none the blocks need a little taken off

Yep it takes a little more than just adding shims.
More times than none the blocks need a little taken off
yeah.. once i get the shims i'll go from there. I don't know why i expect **** to just bolt together.. i'm silly sometimes:) I wanna here this little crap motor run sooo bad right now..

I know you need them now but just a heads up. I order stuff like this during the Black Friday 40% off sale. I get free shipping on my orders and no tax so it’s a triple win win win. Some stuff is so cheap you buy it just to have it.
I love speedmasters black friday sales (if the ever deliver, but that's another story).
A couple years ago, I bought a pair of big port big block chevy heads, complete, intake, roller rockers, cast valve covers (really pretty nice looking) and some gaskets......

Whole caboodle

for under $900 shipped.

Sure wish I could get Mopar stuff for a deal like that!

I love speedmasters black friday sales (if the ever deliver, but that's another story).
A couple years ago, I bought a pair of big port big block chevy heads, complete, intake, roller rockers, cast valve covers (really pretty nice looking) and some gaskets......

Whole caboodle

for under $900 shipped.

Sure wish I could get Mopar stuff for a deal like that!
That's a crazy deal and reminds me i need to find valve covers still

It's all a learning process.. just getting mad that winter is almost here and i don't even have this motor in.. and wanted to have a new motor for next year.. my plans were too big for how lazy i am :)
You and me both. I'm kind of stuck over thinking the rockers/pushrods.

You and me both. I'm kind of stuck over thinking the rockers/pushrods.
Well.. i did the overthinking for you :) Get the mancinis but also order the shim kits... call smith bros for pushrods after measuring and stressing about getting that right for 2 days :) If you have too much money get the real Harland sharps.. but for me the mancinis made the best sense..

I went budget with 273 rockers, now I'm worried about how much of a gap is needed, called Mike @ B3, he said he shoots for about .035. I'm there on some, not on others. Glad for .024 and .035 welding wire though. My heads are bolted down already and he said relocation would involve taking them back off again to clearance the pushrod tunnels. It will be fine if I can get the pushrod length right the first time.

I went budget with 273 rockers, now I'm worried about how much of a gap is needed, called Mike @ B3, he said he shoots for about .035. I'm there on some, not on others. Glad for .024 and .035 welding wire though. My heads are bolted down already and he said relocation would involve taking them back off again to clearance the pushrod tunnels. It will be fine if I can get the pushrod length right the first time.
Are you talking bout pushrod to head area? We were talking bout side to side play on the rockers themselves. that being said my pushrods are stupidly close to my heads... the pushrod angle on small blocks is sooo bad

For 273 rockers the concern is rocker to valve spring/retainer. Nothing like taking a die grinder to something hoping you don't grind too deep but having no way to be sure until it's too late.

Technically, I probably need shims in my rocker setup too. Practically, I think they'll be fine. I'm not building race engines here.

For 273 rockers the concern is rocker to valve spring/retainer. Nothing like taking a die grinder to something hoping you don't grind too deep but having no way to be sure until it's too late.

Technically, I probably need shims in my rocker setup too. Practically, I think they'll be fine. I'm not building race engines here.
Yeah.. i have seen the spring issue with those :( And mine are so tight you can barely move them.. not great :)

Been there. Done that. Pm me if you have any questions

20210325_180304.jpg

You don’t want to grind on the hold downs. I think they are just anodized aluminum. Which means they are only surface hardened. Grind on the spacers if you have to. Centered left to right is not super critical. As long as the spring or pushrod doesn’t hit. If you do grind the spacer on a belt sander remember to rotate it 1/4 turn in your hand and touch it to the belt, repeat. It will help keep the sides paralleish. If you don’t, it is very hard not to angle it. I would almost avoid the belt sander and tape some sandpaper to a flat surface and do it by hand.

when you get the rockers centered on the valve stems , try putting a .010 feeler between each rocker arm and stand , and leave them in while tightening the stands down.... works for me .recheck the line up on the stem /roller...
if that dont work , you got other issues...

-
Back