Mancinis billet 3/4" lowering blocks.

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
I mentioned before that my high arch ss springs required 1.5" lowering blocks to get the car to ride at an acceptable height since they were jacked wayyyy up there with no blocks installed.
After a few years the springs have settled substantially and during this whole time with the 1.5" blocks I had a lot of axle wind up under heavy acceleration which caused a lot of thumping under the car.

I finally yanked out my 1.5" blocks and replaced them with mancinis billet aluminum 3/4" blocks.
They came with the correct size u bolts And nuts wich was great but I had problems with the blocks.
It seems that nobody took into account the size of the spring perch alignment holes as the pins at the top of the blocks were too large in diameter.

My choices were to bore the spring perch holes larger which would mean yanking out the rear end or file the pin diameter down on the lowering block guide pins.

Also the blocks did not sit flush on the springs as it seemed like the bottom side holes on the blocks were not drilled deep enough.

I put the blocks in my drill press and was going to drill them deeper,when I found that the center pins were pressed into a hole, not machined and they actually,moved rather easily,as my drill press pushed them further out of the hole like A shop press would....so I did not have to drill.

I just pressed the pins to the proper adjustment to allow them to sit flush on the spring locating pins.

Lastly I had to file the portion of the block pins that was sticking out( the part that goes into the hole on the sping perch) to allow it to fit.

I put the blocks in my vice and hand filed them all around the perimeter of the pin and then used one of those gnarly scale remover wheels on a die grinder all around the pin to keep it smooth and uniform between hand filing the pins.

When all was said and done, the blocks are installed perfectly, the car sits with a nicer rake and best of all I took it out for a few shake down runs up the street, retorqued my U bolts, then once I was satisfied all was well I took it out for a few hole shots and some hard launches and shifted through the gears hard to see how it felt.

Well, the results were amazing as I no longer have my axle wrap up and the thumping is gone.
The car accelerates much smoother and the *** end is at a perfect ride height.

Moral of the story?

Too tall of a lowering block will give you too much axle wrap up, and probably wear the springs out quicker.

Secondly?
I really friggin hate having to modify brand new parts but but I'm happy that it all worked out, but keep in mind that Mancinis 3/4" billet aluminum lowering blocks may need modified to fit your spring perches.

Oh, I also dripped some red loc tite on the underside of the blocks where the pins are pressed in hoping that the pins won't slide in their seat under load/vibration.
Don't know if I had to do that but I did anyways.

A few more minutes of forethought and those blocks could be sold as a ready to install part.
I don't know if they built them that way so the pin depths could be set as needed depending on locator pin depth but the pin diameters definitely could have been machined to the same diameter as the 1.5" blocks they sell.

Sorry for the rant.....just a heads up in case someone else runs into this.

That all being said, I thoroughly enjoy receiving new toys at my door step from Mancini racing.

We need pics of the new rake!LOL.

I bought some lowering blocks when I bought my Caltracs and Mono-leafs.They come in 1/2 inch blocks,never did use them.:banghead:

I can get some pics.

Should have taken pics of the whole ordeal but I had my game face on and do not want to stop until I tackled the problem.

..why does the lowering block cause axle wrap...too much pinion angle w/blocks?

Seems like any part you buy these days needs modifying.

Had some 3inch blocks on mine and didn't have a problem with wheel hope or anything I got my blocks from kragen, or Pepboys. But I did have my pinion snubber half an inch from touching the floor. It help alote when drag racing it. I also had the s/s leaf spring but only 2 left side so it had the same hight on the rear for street use.

We sheared the locating pin off the cheap cast parts store blocks and then made our own out some HARD alloy that I bought. One of these days I'll get the stick cut into acceptable lengths to make some 2" blocks. I don't know if I'll need any for my Barracuda when I get it done. I've got a home-built spring stack in there, but no weight added to the car yet.

..why does the lowering block cause axle wrap...too much pinion angle w/blocks?

It can affect the pinion angle but Too much lowering block can cause the forward thrust of the rear axle to prevent the leafs (or torque arm) from wrapping up and absorbing engine torque. Consequently, forward bite is diminished. A symptom of this problem shows up on torque arm equipped cars as very little 5th coil/shock movement.

It is not bad unless your car hooks up well and has plenty of horsepower and torque.
When you have SS springs you want you car to hook and plant as much tire to the ground as possible under hard acceleration.
Too tall of a,lowering block can cause springs to twist and many racers end up breaking drivetrain parts as a result.

I guess mine were just too tall and were stressing my springs too much.

Now that mine are substantially lower I no longer feel the hopping and thumping under the car when I blast off the launch pad.

My rear portion of the spring near the rear hangar has bent a bit from the torque and strange geometry on the drivers side.

I searched a bunch of racing forums and there seems to be a pretty big consensus that lowering blocks, especially taller ones will eventually cause you to wear out your springs, and possibly break stuff with prolonged hammering of the drivetrain.
The best solution is to have the correct spring ride height with no blocks at all.

The shorter the block the better.

Had some 3inch blocks on mine and didn't have a problem with wheel hope or anything I got my blocks from kragen, or Pepboys. But I did have my pinion snubber half an inch from touching the floor. It help alote when drag racing it. I also had the s/s leaf spring but only 2 left side so it had the same hight on the rear for street use.

Yeah, mine seemed okay for a while but got progressively worse.

Feels good now.

-
Back