manifold stud problem (stripped)

-

65Vart

Reaction score
Anybody ever JB welded an exhaust manifold stud (front driver). This will not tighten so probabally the threads in the head are stripped (new stud is fine) and its leaking. I have a mess and Moparfest is two days away. Looks like I'm FU$^ed unless anyone has some suggestions. :banghead:

You say new stud is fine, do you mean it threads in? The front and rear studs are wet holes, they need sealant on them.

Id quick steel it before jb welding, although jb weld may work better as a sealer the quick steel would be more permanent. Theres also a producg called cold weld thats similiar to both products above but handles like 1500 degrees

A helicoil there will need a sealant or it may leak coolant just like a bolt would.

A helicoil requires a larger diameter drill and tap. The hole in the manifold isn't that big.

Can I get the heli coil in without pulling the exhaust manifold?

most likely not, but you also don't want to redneck it together and get 100 miles from home and the stud work out causing a major coolant leak!

Yep to heli coil it youll have to pull the manifold, drill the hole run a tap in it and then run a bottoming tap if you want to put more than one helicoil in it if you think you need more thread engagement, put plenty of quality sealant on the coils and then put more sealant on the bolt and put it together. Should onky take two or three hours tops since yohr lucky and its the front one and not in the back lol looking at around $30 for a helicoil kit and some sealer

I have used red locktight on the heli-coils then a pipe sealer on the stud without a leak. I would take the xtra time to pull the manifold and do it right the 1st time.

4 exhaust studs on sm and bb at each corner-water jacket. Pull manifold, carefully drill and heli-coil. Use permatex Right Stuff. Been there twice.

If the heli-coil doesn't work, I've used 1/8 pipe plugs (like the oil galley plugs) then drill the center to the right thread, no leaks.
Dave

heli-coil it first.

Then try that "worlds greatest stop leak" silver powder available at any parts store. NOT BARR'S LEAK. Then pour a little of the silver powder (about 1/4 of the tube) into the radiator. Then start it and let it run for 30 - 40 minutes ant the leaks will be gone. I keep a tube of that stuff in my glove box JIC. It works great.

Wish I had seen this earlier Wally,I would,ve come up to give you a hand to have it ready for the "Fest".Hope you get it fixed on time or just take your other car.:glasses7:

-
Back