manual brake pushrod removal.

-

kbsouers

Reaction score
on my 68 cuda. i cant remember if the break rod just pulls out of the master with some force. i dont want to break it. :violent1:

Thanks Kevin

I comes out but the little rubber bushing around it gets stuck in a retaining groove in the piston.
I don't know a good way other than clamping the rod in something and wacking the old master cylinder forward off it, if you have already removed the cylinder from the car.
Otherwise you might jerk the peddle rearward and see if it comes out.
Anyone else?

A quick check turned up this picture of a rod.
See the little rubber bushing.
That should come with a new master cylinder.

Attachments

• bushing.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 424
You ain't gonna break the rod so just get it out of there. Chuck the rod in a vise and pound on the master until it comes off. Don't let it land on your foot though.... :eek:ops:

Put the master cylinder in a vise and pull on the rod out by hand. The rubber bushing may get damaged when the rod comes out. You can spray some soapy water in the hole of the master cylinder to help lubricate the rubber bushing which may prevent it from getting damaged. I did the same but in reverse when I installed my new master cylinder / brake setup

I always remove them while still in the car. Loosen the nuts holding master cylinder slide it away from firewall slide two big screwdrivers between the master cylinder and firewall and snatch up on the pedal it will come right.

If you put the rod in a vise then grab a larger (7/8 or 15/16) open end wrench you can wedge it in between the vise and master cylinder and pry the master cylinder off the end of the push rod. As suggested a hammer works too, but I find the wrench method eliminates the possibility of breaking something either with the hammer or a flying master cylinder. Good Luck!

I removed the rod in a vise, and was a pain. Next time, I will do it in-car using the pedal for leverage. Remove the brake switch first so you don't damage it.

Thanks everyone, I placed the rod in the vice with the master sticking straight up. I used 2 crowbars and leverd the mater against the top of vice it came right up. :cheers: Thanks Kevin

I made a new bushing out of sliver of the correct size hose.

Remove the brake switch first so you don't damage it.

Thank you Bill for pointing this out.

Every six months when one of these threads pops up, someone says to "just jerk up on the brake pedal". That advice cost me a lot of time and a dead battery when we didn't notice that the brake lights were on because of the bent bracket.

Hope this saves someone the same frustration.

-
Back