Manual reverse body and shifter

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
K,guys seeing as how your doing so well at helping me plan my 451 Dart lets see what you cook up for the 727. Plan is a lightweight 727 build built real tough with a deep pan and a big cooler for durabilty. Full manual/reverse pattern valve body. Would appreciate advise on what to buy for rebuild guts,valve body,shifter,torque convertor etc. Will be floor shifted,close to 600 h.p/550 tq,3:91 to 4:10 gears,mini tubs,caltracs,3000 to3500 stall,28" to 30" street slick,lightweight car close to 2900. Looking to hit low 11's,hoping I get hi 10.

Car will see track time and lots of street time as well

I personally don't know one person that was "Happy" with a Full manual/reverse pattern valve body in a street car.

I have plenty of friends that lived with one but all of them said they would not do it again. They just shift hard in everyday driving.

Things may have changed, I don't know.

I know full manual bodies are for the truly dedicated,but I dont want to leave anthing on the table this time. I've had various shift kits and it was never quite good enough. So if a manual/reverse will make me unhappy whats the best compromise while leaning more towards track?

I guess another source of answeres might be my 727 book by Carl Munroe.I'll have a look. Kind of addicted to posting for answeres here,lol...

I have a full manuel reverse in my 69 cuda and have a lot of fun driving it. I run a 3200 stall and the only time it shifts hard is when im getting on it. If I shift it before the converter comes all the way in it shifts like a stock one

Your first post said "lots of street time".

If now you have changed to "more towards track".... I don't know.

No,plans havent changed,lol. Theres a different tolerance level for everyone though. I might be able to handle a manual reverse on the street as I am used to driving a manual trans,grew up with one in fact. Im just looking for the right combo.

My plans have always leaned toward driving the car every weekend during the summer.I guess thats what I mean by "lots",lol! Track time will be a weekend at the track several times per year(3-4 weekends depending on budget),so I guess it all in the perspective.

Well I have one again and drove one from 77-94 as a drive in my 64 Dart. I would do a 1-3 shift when I got tired of banging hard shifts or if a cop was near.

But anyway I like it still.

I've got one in my Demon and I like it. It gives you all the control you would ever want on your shifts and I can't see where it is any worse than a 4-speed. Would I put another one in a street car? Sure would.

Jack

I just had a look at cope racings sight. I see he has a prostreet manual valve body which sounds like what I want.

Im kinda hoping for a canadian outlet for good hi performance transmission parts.

I've driven them for years daily in the past. Even with factory slap sticks...lol There are a few different options for full manual. What I would suggest for parts is a kit with red frictions and stock steels. The billet Low/Rev servo and high gear servo, a bolt in sprague pkg, and the billet steel forward clutch retainer. The steel drum is the big ticket item, but it gives you extra frictions, plus the Hemi size kickdown band, plus it wont ever explode which is what the more expensive and microscopically slower shifting low-band apply valve body. Have the vent relocated to the tail housing. That's it. Nothing truely crazy.

I drive my duster on the street.. full manual reverse v.b., 3800 stall converter, 4.30 gears..as for the original ??..find a tranny guy you can trust,i don't know where you live but i have 2 excellent trans, guys here in Mass. as for valve bodies you can't go wrong with Turbo action and for converters,there only one guy i use Lenny @ Ultimate converter in Conn. give him a call , great guy to deal with..203-874-2100....

THanks guys.Great advise from all. Im going to build the tranny myself with the help of Carl Munroes book. I've done 2 stock 727 overhauls so know my way around them a bit.Never had a manual reverse though..

I just had a look at cope racings sight. I see he has a prostreet manual valve body which sounds like what I want.

Im kinda hoping for a canadian outlet for good hi performance transmission parts.

John is a stand up guy, I have his race 727 RMVB with billet servo bolt in sprag and 4.2 lever awesome pieces and service.

Yup not to many good prices on HP parts in Canada I bring the stuff across the boarder myself so no BS with shipping,taxes,broker fee's and duty

I have a manual reverse valve body from A&A in my 904. Using it with a 3500 stall from ultimate . Snaps your head back when you shift with your foot in it, but if you shift early feels like a regular shift kit..
The plus is the wife does not ask to drive it. LOL
HKeller

John is a stand up guy, I have his race 727 RMVB with billet servo bolt in sprag and 4.2 lever awesome pieces and service.

Yup not to many good prices on HP parts in Canada I bring the stuff across the boarder myself so no BS with shipping,taxes,broker fee's and duty

Your right,good prices on hi performance stuff seems to be non existant here in Canada.

I have a Cope Prostreet Rev/manual 727 in my dart and love it. I'm using the stock shifter modified with a shifter plate and console. Give John a call and he will set you up right.

If you're going manual, you might as well get the brake while you're at it.

I've got an A&A reverse manual valve body with transbrake in my 904. I haven't got a lot of miles on it (yet) but I love it.

At part throttle mine shifts very smoothly from first to 2nd. 3rd is kind of harsh, but I've got monoleafs with solid bushings and Rancho shocks too. I don't care. I love it.

I am very happy with my dealings with John at Cope Racing Transmissions. Also very happy with Lenny at Ultimate Converter.

Good luck with it.

Steve

If you're going manual, you might as well get the brake while you're at it.

I've got an A&A reverse manual valve body with transbrake in my 904. I haven't got a lot of miles on it (yet) but I love it.

At part throttle mine shifts very smoothly from first to 2nd. 3rd is kind of harsh, but I've got monoleafs with solid bushings and Rancho shocks too. I don't care. I love it.

I am very happy with my dealings with John at Cope Racing Transmissions. Also very happy with Lenny at Ultimate Converter.

Good luck with it.

Steve

A trans brake sounds like a good idea. Should help with those launches!!

We build our 904/727 transmissions with A&A parts, and our own ideas. If you install a trans-brake valve body, the transmission will require different modifications.

We use precision performance shifters and ultimate converters on almost all of our builds.

When you want the best, you'll pay a little bit more.

7.50 @185 at 3400lbs with our 727 torqueflite, SO FAR. 8)

Good luck with your 727 build!

Chris Andrews
Andrews Racing Transmissions, Inc.

-
Back