manual steering box rebuild

-

Racingduster

Certified Welder
Reaction score
Have any of you guys ever rebuilt a Manual steering box? Wondering how hard it is, and if there is a company that sells a kit with the seals and gaskets for this. The one im gonna put back in my race car has grease coming out of one of the seals. So i thought that since I have it out I might as well fix it up.

They did a rebuild of a steering box on MuscleCar on Spike TV (weekend car show) several weeks back. You might check their website and see if it was one of the episodes that you can view online. It looks like a pretty involved process just because of all the parts and bearings and things, but depending on what seals you want to replace it might not be as bad if you don't have to disassemble it quite as much. I don't know what model the box was either, but I think they're probably all pretty similar.

If you can turn a wrench you can build a manual box with your eyes poked out. It's that simple. Really. Why not get the 20:1 fast ratio worm assembly from Mancini while you're at it? That would be nice. That's what I'm gonna put in mine. Box it and all the parts up and send it to me if you want. I'll do it reasonable for you.

If you can turn a wrench you can build a manual box with your eyes poked out. It's that simple. Really. Why not get the 20:1 fast ratio worm assembly from Mancini while you're at it? That would be nice. That's what I'm gonna put in mine. Box it and all the parts up and send it to me if you want. I'll do it reasonable for you.

if you did one and took some step by step pictures then posted it in the tech section I think that would be very cool and help a few people out

if you did one and took some step by step pictures then posted it in the tech section I think that would be very cool and help a few people out

I ain't ready to do mine yet.....but if somebody will send me one, I will damn sure do it. ...and at a real reduced rate. lol I would rather trade somethin.

Thanks for the offer, Im not worried about doing it myself. Just trying to locate a kit/and tips for doing this

Steer n Gear in Ohio will sell you a completely rebuilt one or the parts you need.

I bought the Box 2 kit from firm feel with the bearings and seals. It did not come with a top cover gasket so I had to get some gasket material and make my own gasket. The kit is very nice. It is very easy to do. But the one bearing needs to be pressed out and the new bearing pressed into the housing. Other then that its easy. The steering on my car has zero slop in it now.

-
Back