Manual to Power steering conversion

-

Mr.FT

Reaction score
I have a 1972 demon 340 with manual steering and am looking at converting to power steering. I was wondering if anyone makes a complete kit to do this? if not what all would I need to do it? I know I'll need the box,lines and pump. Brackets and belts. Is there anything I'm missing? Also how big of a job is it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Your going to need a PS column as it is different from manuel.

And if the PS box doesn't have one in decent shape, you'll need a pitman arm as well.

Should be pretty cheap. Many here would trade you for your manual setup, perhaps even pay you, since a big block or headers often requires manual steering. If choosing a p.s. pump, the Saginaw is supposed to be more efficient and is more common.

Thanks for all the info, Do I have to change the whole column or can I just change the shaft?

You can just change the shaft, but it is alot easier just to put the whole column in.
As stated before the manual stuff is way more desirable than the power units.

Also keep in mind the 73 and up are slightly different than the 72's and down including the pitman arm.

The steering column is shorter on the power steering. Also the coupler has a different diameter hole (smaller on the power) so you will need the column and coupler.

Got a complete pwr steering system I took out of my 70 Duster when I swapped to manual I'd let ya have for shipping. It's not brand new but worked and functioned fine and I removed it all. Shoot me a PM if ya want. It's just all sitting under my bench right now and I'd rather have someone use it and get it out of the way. None of my local buddies here need it.

Brian

Would that column fit a 67 Barracuda with a 69 K frame, if it does and you still have it, then I'd be interested.

As noted for a 72 with a 72-down K-frame, a power steering shaft and coupler, pump and brackets, PS crank pulley, Small selector power steering box and depending on the pump and lines. As I understand you need a custom pressure line for a Saginaw pump to work on the 72-down K frame, Bouchillon makes one here:

http://bouchillonperformance.com/inc/sdetail/990/1013

As I understand the stock line hits and drivers motor mount and the one above is bent tighter to clear it. A good read on the topic:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=67951

I'm converting my 69 to power with a Stage 3 Firm feel box while the engine and K are out of the car.

-
Back