Manual trans swap info

-

IL duster

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster and I am considering swapping in a manual transmission to boost the fun level up a bit. Currently the car has a 360 with a 727 trans. First off, what all would I need to complete the swap?

Is the crank already machined for the pilot bushing or bearing to be pressed in? Someone told me years ago that they were not, so I thought I would start with these questions and go from there. If I do this swap you all will have to be patient with me as I am sure I will have lots and lots of questions. Thanks again for any and all help.

Dan

The 1976 360 I picked up was drilled to size for the pilot bushing. I believe they are drilled but it may not be to size to accept a standard pilot bushing. You have a several options: 1) NAPA sells a special thin wall bushing for the unfinished hole size, or 2) use the late model RAM v8 roller bearing that fits the torque converter register, or 3) take the engine apart and have the crank drilled or pick up another crank.

Even if it's not drilled at all, option 2 will work if you are willing to cut down the end of the input shaft on the transmission.

many cranks were not machined for a pilot bushing, that would need to be done or replaced with one from a 4 speed or you could use a late model bearing that fits in the torque converter register that option may require shortening the input shaft of the transmission, you will also need to find a longer drive shaft when switching from a 727, a hole will need to be cut in the floor and a floor hump installed to make room for the shifter and shift rod, you will need a 130 tooth flywheel balanced for a 360, a bellhousing with the correct bearing opening to match the trans you are going to use, clutch/brake pedal assembly, Z-bar push rod clutch fork, and an A-body A-833 standard or overdrive transmission,
here are some links to help you out

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/4-speeds/ODA833fourspeed1.htm

http://www.darkside.ca/a-4spd.asp

http://www.brewersperformance.com/

http://www.passonperformance.com/

Thanks for all the info, that will keep me busy reading for awhile. Again sorry upfront for my stupid questions, but here we go:

#1 If I use the Napa bushing, will the input shaft of the trans need to be cut down as well?

#2 Does anybody have a part number for the Napa bushing, or the Ram roller bearing, or what years of Ram's the bearing will work from?

#3 I would love to have a 833 trans, but my money is on the low side... Could I use a three speed? I know that isn't desireable as it isn't a performance trans. But my 360 is basically just a stock rebuild, and I don't plan on beating on it or taking it to the track(my local track just closed). It will be more of a cruising car.

#4 Can the flywheel be from a Ram with a 360, or does it need to stay a a body unit?

Thanks again for all of the help so far! I appreciate it all very much.

Il duster, I am going to do the same swap on my 69 Dart, except mine has a 340, which is internally balanced. I have most all the parts to do the swap. When I get started, I will start a post with pic's and all the info I have on doing this. First thing you need to get, and probably the hardest to find is a good tran's, I personally would stay away from the OD trans. Look on craigslist Minniapolis, there is a very nice 4 speed on there right now for $400, may be able to talk him down a little. I picked my 70 4 speed up for $250. Be sure if you find one, jump on it, they go really fast!! Any other help you need or questions just P.M. me I'd be glad to help you out.

Jeff

Il duster, I am going to do the same swap on my 69 Dart, except mine has a 340, which is internally balanced. I have most all the parts to do the swap. When I get started, I will start a post with pic's and all the info I have on doing this. First thing you need to get, and probably the hardest to find is a good tran's, I personally would stay away from the OD trans. Look on craigslist Minniapolis, there is a very nice 4 speed on there right now for $400, may be able to talk him down a little. I picked my 70 4 speed up for $250. Be sure if you find one, jump on it, they go really fast!! Any other help you need or questions just P.M. me I'd be glad to help you out.

Jeff

Il duster, here is the phone # for the trans in Mn

Phone 507-380-8199, Brent.

Thanks for all the info, that will keep me busy reading for awhile. Again sorry upfront for my stupid questions, but here we go:

#1 If I use the Napa bushing, will the input shaft of the trans need to be cut down as well?

#2 Does anybody have a part number for the Napa bushing, or the Ram roller bearing, or what years of Ram's the bearing will work from?

#3 I would love to have a 833 trans, but my money is on the low side... Could I use a three speed? I know that isn't desireable as it isn't a performance trans. But my 360 is basically just a stock rebuild, and I don't plan on beating on it or taking it to the track(my local track just closed). It will be more of a cruising car.

#4 Can the flywheel be from a Ram with a 360, or does it need to stay a a body unit?

Thanks again for all of the help so far! I appreciate it all very much.

1: some cranks were drilled deep enough for the input shaft but not machined for the bushing some were not, you will need to check yours, if it is drilled AND machined you can use a bushing, if it is drilled and NOT machined you can use a bearing, if it is not drilled you need to shorten the input shaft of the trans so it doesnt hit

2: not off hand will look

3: you could use a 3speed, although I dont think the savings will be worth it 4speeds are just more fun and cooler! also for a mild 360 an overdrive 4 speed will work GREAT! they are plenty strong, (some people even use them behind big blocks),and give you better gas mileage that alone should offset the added initial expense and save you money in the long run

4: many truck flywheels are 143 tooth and will not work early A-body flywheels are 122 tooth, you need a 130 tooth flywheel balanced for a 360 motor or a neutral balance 130 tooth flywheel that you can have balanced for your 360

5: like they say there are no stupid question except the ones not asked

Il duster, I am going to do the same swap on my 69 Dart, except mine has a 340, which is internally balanced. I have most all the parts to do the swap. When I get started, I will start a post with pic's and all the info I have on doing this. First thing you need to get, and probably the hardest to find is a good tran's,is, there I personally would stay away from the OD trans. Look on craigslist Minniapol is a very nice 4 speed on there right now for $400, may be able to talk him down a little. I picked my 70 4 speed up for $250. Be sure if you find one, jump on it, they go really fast!! Any other help you need or questions just P.M. me I'd be glad to help you out.

Jeff
why stay away from an OD tranny? Just found one and was thinking of doing swap in my scamp.

why stay away from an OD tranny? Just found one and was thinking of doing swap in my scamp.

I don't like the gear ratio, yeah I know alot of people use them, and they say they like them, but it's not a performance transmission. they are alot cheaper, and easier to find, but IMPO I don't like them. For the extra couple hundred buck's I would get the standard 4 speed. I just picked one up out of a 70 duster on craigslist for $250. Like I said, it's just my opinion!

-
Back