Manual Valve Body

-

69Chrgr

Charger/Cuda
Reaction score
Can someone give me some opinions on a manual valve body? I have a '68 Cuda with a 408, dynamic 3500 stall conv., 998 tranny, and 3.91 gears. I would really like to eliminate the kick down, however I have heard both sides good and bad. This car is just a weekend car and occasional drag strip times. I won't be driving on long trips, just around town. Cam is a Hughes custom grind 242 and 246 @ .050 lift roller grind.

Thanks,
Darren

I;m running a Turbo Action full manual reverse pattern in my 904,gives nice positive shifts..

Luv em!

But that being said you really should have a MVB that has low band apply. Here is the diff:

No band apply will allow the trans to free wheel when you let of the gas even while it is in gear moving down the road. So lets say you are on the gas hard in low let off at 30mph, it is like putting it the shifter in N. Not a big deal yet, then you can stand on the gas again and the engine will have to rev up to catch up with the trans speed, kind of like doing a rolling N drop with a stick, kinda hard on the trans, but if built good not a huge issue. Great neck snapper!

Now the down side, no low band apply can result more often in a diaster and more likey cause the over running clutch to fail. This is very true on a burn out, drive shaft failure etc.

I lived this way for years and was lucky, but others not so lucky. I still had a safety sheild though on the trasns just in case.

I have since upgraded to a MVB with low band apply. I got my from John at coperacing. Look on the web site he does a much better job explaining the MVB than I can. http://www.coperacingtrans.com/valvebodies.htm

Bottom line, if you get a good vavle body only downside is you have to shift it, but you can take of in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Dont advise a lot of 3rd take offs, but it is nice to have options when cops are arround. :burnout:

OH and do this "When installing a reverse manual valve body, or a trans-brake valve body with low band apply, it is recommended that you also install a billet low reverse servo kit" The line pressures go way UP with MVB's and you need better pistons, especially L-R, but I would do the band apply as well.

Luv em!

But that being said you really should have a MVB that has low band apply. Here is the diff:

No band apply will allow the trans to free wheel when you let of the gas even while it is in gear moving down the road. So lets say you are on the gas hard in low let off at 30mph, it is like putting it the shifter in N. Not a big deal yet, then you can stand on the gas again and the engine will have to rev up to catch up with the trans speed, kind of like doing a rolling N drop with a stick, kinda hard on the trans, but if built good not a huge issue. Great neck snapper!

Now the down side, no low band apply can result more often in a diaster and more likey cause the over running clutch to fail. This is very true on a burn out, drive shaft failure etc.

I lived this way for years and was lucky, but others not so lucky. I still had a safety sheild though on the trasns just in case.

I have since upgraded to a MVB with low band apply. I got my from John at coperacing. Look on the web site he does a much better job explaining the MVB than I can. http://www.coperacingtrans.com/valvebodies.htm

Bottom line, if you get a good vavle body only downside is you have to shift it, but you can take of in 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. Dont advise a lot of 3rd take offs, but it is nice to have options when cops are arround. :burnout:

OH and do this "When installing a reverse manual valve body, or a trans-brake valve body with low band apply, it is recommended that you also install a billet low reverse servo kit" The line pressures go way UP with MVB's and you need better pistons, especially L-R, but I would do the band apply as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself!!

What are you using for a shifter? If its a column shifter the reverse type is probably best. If you're using a factory console shifter, try a T/A forward manual valve body. That's what i have in my duster with the factory console. Lots easier to controlthan shifting backwards. If you have an aftermarket shifter, I'd go with the reverse valve body.

I have the Cheetah Turbo Action valve body in the Duster 727, stock floor shifter, reverse pattern w/ no gear braking in 1st gear. Shifts are firm and quick, and it's also fun to fool people into thinking it's a 4-speed car when ya wind it up in 1st, let off the gas and shift into 2nd...no complaints here..

Thanks alot guys, looks like I'll be ordering me a new valve body. This forum is so helpful, I really appreciate the feedback I always receive.

Thanks Again!

very welcome from all of us. Yep there are a lot of sharp guys and gals here on the site! :drinkers: I have learned a lot from many of them too!

I have had a MVB for over 35 years, i think it is the best way to go in a performance automatic car. I love 4&5 speeds too, but man the best of both i think you will like it!

I use the Turbo Action valve bodies in both my 63 and my boys Dart. We love them and I have used them since the 70's. Ours do not have the low band apply in 1st gear but we know how to drive them and have never had a problem. But that said its a good idea to go with the low band apply now that you can get them. Ron

Thanks again! Trying to get hold of John at Cope so I can order my reverse manual valve body. I'm using a B&M Megashifter. Can't wait to put this thing back together!

-
Back