manuel swap

-

vindez77

Reaction score
Hi there,
I recently found a nice ratty second gen 340 s barracuda that is a 3 speed auto. Since I don't know much about transmissions I was wondering does the floor need to be cut in order to fit a shifter and transmission of the an a833? Or would the a833 already fit since it is a floor shifted automatic. Apparently it is a number matched car so I would hate to carve it up. Thanks in advance.

Who is Manuel?
OK. @Projectile Dart is right. you will need to cut a hole in your floor and weld in the 4 speed hump. I did a 3 speed auto floor shift to 4 speed conversion about 15 years ago. It was not all that hard. I think the hardest part was deciding exactly where to cut and where the hump goes. Hopefully someone with the carpet out of their car can give you some measurements. Once the hole is cut, and the engine and transmission are in, the rest is downhill.

Not for the faint of heart. I'm speaking from experience.

You'll need...
A-833 transmission (and possibly a rebuild kit)
Hurst shifter body (and possibly a rebuild kit)
Shifter to trans adapter plate, plus bolts
Shifter handle
Shifter handle knob
Shifter handle rubber boot
Floor to shifter handle boot bezel ring
Shift linkage rods, and accessories
Bell housing, complete with inspection over
Bell housing ball stud
Clutch fork
Clutch fork return spring
Clutch fork boot
Clutch fork pivot inside bell housing
Clutch fork adjustment rod
Throw out bearing
Pressure plate
Clutch disc
Flywheel
Pilot bearing
Clutch pedal assembly
Clutch rod
Z bar
Z bar bushings
Frame ball stud
Frame ball stud support bracket
Firewall clutch rod boot
Clutch and brake pedal rubber covers
Clutch and brake pedal bezels (optional)
Reverse lamp switch
Reverse lamp wiring harness
Reverse gear indicator light (optional)
Speedometer cable and gear (IDK if the 727 cable can swap over)
4 speed trans tunnel hump
4 speed carpet
Driveshaft possibly, or at least a yoke
U joints
Floor shift steering column (if currently a column shift)
New starter (possibly)
All associated bolts, bushings, bearings, seals, gaskets, and retainers

I sure I've missed something, but this list will get you started.
If you have the cash, call Brewers and they will set you up with everything you need.

If it is a numbers matching car, why chop it up?
There’s TONS of 727s and 904s floating around.
Or maybe I just don’t understand the concept of making a shitload of unnecessary work for yourself by cutting up an original car.

If you are not experienced mechanically this could turn into a project you regret . I would leave it as an automatic . Besides it will be worth more in original configuration.

Pics please .....

Hi there,
I recently found a nice ratty second gen 340 s barracuda that is a 3 speed auto. Since I don't know much about transmissions I was wondering does the floor need to be cut in order to fit a shifter and transmission of the an a833? Or would the a833 already fit since it is a floor shifted automatic. Apparently it is a number matched car so I would hate to carve it up. Thanks in advance.
Then don't carve it up..

I recommend highly you consider staying automatic. You can get some marvelously modified transmissions that shift crisper, etc, and it turns out they really aren't all that hard to rebuild, either

I converted my 71 Barracuda to a four speed from a column shifted 904. Although I didn't think it was that hard, it was fairly expensive. An overdrive auto would have cheaper and easier.

IMG_3040.JPG

Looks like great start. Most of the pieces aee there and its a 69 which makes some trim cheaper to attain .
And its a Notchback which makes it rare. Keep it as it is .

If this is a # 340 ar I would certainly leave it oem. You have a ton of work to do I bet, to make it drive safe and make it a solid car.

Yeah it's my opinion to "restore" or resto-mod to your liking but not change it too much, looks like you have good bones but it's going to be some work to make it great.
There are plenty of cars out there that have long lost all their original parts and those are perfect for tearing up and customizing. I have two of these lol

If you are thinking of buying that car and its missing its grills those are pricy one year only parts.

If you are not experienced mechanically this could turn into a project you regret . I would leave it as an automatic . Besides it will be worth more in original configuration.

Pics please .....
@vindez77, @mbaird does make a good point. I found it to be pretty straight forward, but I am a pretty good working on cars. It is doable for a person with decent mechanical skills. However, if your mechanical abilities are not pretty good, you would probably be better off leaving it as an automatic.

I vote build it how ever you’d like. If you dream of bangin gears in a 3 pedal car do it and never look back. But listen to the guys above that have done it and do your research. Do not start the project until you have every single last nut, bolt, part you need. I like the “save your pennies and call Brewers” approach the best. They will have a complete package and are a great and valuable resource.

Thanks for all the information and knowledge yall, I honestly had no clue how rare it was with only an estimated 140 of this model being made. Do you guys have any idea of what is a good price for the car as is not running?

I have a bud that bought a brand new 70 Roadrunner 383 car, 3 on the floor. Dad would NOT let him have a 4 speed. "Quote: "Those my son are for racing, and ya ain't no damn racer!"
By that weekend the 3 speed had been replaced with a 4 speed. If dad was around, he left in second.

It's your car do with it what pleases you bud. I am in the process of swapping a 904 auto to a 4 speed. I just need a few more small parts and a clutch. I scrounged for all my stuff and over the coarse of a couple years I'm just about ready to swap. I don't think I have $500 into all I have now and a stock clutch and the small stuff I need will put me at less than $800 Just be patient and swap and scrounge parts. Hell my 69 grills didn't cost me $300 and I had grill pieces left over that I sold so my grills ended up costing me $0. Do what you want.

241473091_357111159500025_7314941967748427320_n.jpg

-
Back