Manul valvebody

-

75ddart

Reaction score
Not sure where to post this, either here or the race section, but here it goes. Can a reverse pattern manual valvebody be used in a stock linkage console equipped car. I know an after market shifter can use either, but considering going with either a reverse pattern or a fwd pattern instead. This is going in a track only car, no street at this time. I have used the reverse pattern before, years ago and now the guy I sold the trans to is considering removing the reverse pattern if I put in a stock valvebody with a shift kit installed, basically a trade if I do the swap. His car is a street car and wishes to possibly go back to stock type shifting as he isn't sure of using the man valvebody on the street anymore, which I told him over time he may not like it. Your thoughts ? :D

It can, but the gear indicator will obviously be totally backwards and any lockouts or detents in the shifter assy will be in the wrong places.

Examples:
If the shifter has a release to come out of park, it would now have to be released out of first.
If the shifter has a lockout (special function) to get it into reverse, that lockout will be in the wrong place (like second instead of reverse) :D
To be in drive it would have to be showing neutral on the non reversed pattern shifter.

It would work, but it sure would be a mess.

Can a reverse pattern manual valvebody be used in a stock linkage console equipped car.

Not only can you use one. With the factory shifter it's pretty mandatory. See below..

It can, but the gear indicator will obviously be totally backwards and any lockouts or detents in the shifter assy will be in the wrong places.

Examples:
If the shifter has a release to come out of park, it would now have to be released out of first.
If the shifter has a lockout (special function) to get it into reverse, that lockout will be in the wrong place (like second instead of reverse) :D
To be in drive it would have to be showing neutral on the non reversed pattern shifter.

It would work, but it sure would be a mess.

Wrong wrong wrong....

A RPVB in a factory console has the detents in all the RIGHT Places.

Detent to leave and enter park.
Detent to leave and enter reverse.
Detent from reverse to Neutral.

Detent from 1st to 2nd
Detent from 2nd to 3rd.

No detent from 1st, 2nd or 3rd to go back to Neutral.

It is beyond ideal to run a RPVB in a factory console with a factory shifter. It is the perfect setup and you can't miss or mess up.

All you need to change is the pattern decal. P R N 1 2 3

Jeesus, I said if. (as in examples)
How can you possibly put a reverse pattern VB on a non reverse pattern shifter without one of them being backwards?
The only way I see it happening is if the linkage comes in from the other direction at the trans.

Are you saying the factory console shifter has lockouts for every gear position? (I didn't mean to use the word detents)

Not only can you use one. With the factory shifter it's pretty mandatory. See below..

Wrong wrong wrong....

Detent from 1st to 2nd
Detent from 2nd to 3rd.

It is beyond ideal to run a RPVB in a factory console with a factory shifter. It is the perfect setup and you can't miss or mess up.

Are you saying the factory console shifter has lockouts for every gear position? (I didn't mean to use the word detents)

Yes. When I say detent I mean lock or lockout. (You have to push the button) So yes, every gear position has a lockout.

In traffic conditions you can without lockout toggle from 1 to N and back. 2nd is locked out as is reverse.

For up shifting you push the button. For downshifting you don't.

When racing you do your burnout in 2nd and then slam it right into neutral with no lockout after the burnout.

Take off in first at the line you unlock the 1-2 shift before you stage. You pull 2nd and push the button to hit 3rd.

Yes. When I say detent I mean lock or lockout. (You have to push the button) So yes, every gear position has a lockout.

In traffic conditions you can without lockout toggle from 1 to N and back. 2nd is locked out as is reverse.

For up shifting you push the button. For downshifting you don't.

When racing you do your burnout in 2nd and then slam it right into neutral with no lockout after the burnout.

Take off in first at the line you unlock the 1-2 shift before you stage. You pull 2nd and push the button to hit 3rd.

Ok, well that makes a big difference if every position has a lockout :D, but what about the indicator being reversed 123NRP vs PRN321

I said it would work but be messed up, and I realize a new decal would take care of that part.

So overall I guess I was "wrong wrong wrong" anyway.

The indicator says 3, 2,1 but you are actually in 1, 2, 3 respectively.

Iv'e never forgotten what valve body was in the car! LOL So I never changed the decals.

PRN123...
Guys in FAST and probably even Pure Stock doing it...
Even on the column.
Only thing changes is D becomes 1, 1 becomes 3.

Thanks for all the replies. Years ago I had a hurst promatic shifter I bought used, only had to buy a new cable and I just put tape over the indicator because I didn't have the other indicator to show the shift indication for reverse pattern. On that shifter to go from first into reverse/park you had to pull up on the shifter to go into those positions, but wasn't sure with a stock linkage set up vs. cable. I could do the same with tape over the stock indicator, but never thought of the push button option. :D

Wrong wrong wrong....

Detent from 1st to 2nd
Detent from 2nd to 3rd.

^^^^ Xs2

With the RPVB, you'll never get the racecar jitters while changing into 3rd, and push it too far into neutral, AND BLOW IT UP, as I've witnessed/repaired a few that accidentally did.

If you have forward shift, a detent can/should be installed to prevent pushing thru to neutral. jmo

hope it helps

-
Back