marker light hole on after market quarters

-

ratvon

Reaction score
I put after market quarters on my 68 barracuda that is now painted and the holes are too
small for the original marker lights does anyone know if the aftermarket marker lights are made smaller or have a good idea what to do?

I think the best thing to do is to try to get the hole to the proper size. You may have to touch up the bare spots so they don't rust.

Fix what's wrong. Don't try to accomodate the defect...

take the old quarters, make a pencil rubbing of the original holes. cut the shape out if the pencil rubbing. place it on the new quarters, cut/grind until its properly sized.

I didn't really want to open it up and expose bare metal in a place like that where it would be so vulnerable to rusting. Also it would be hard to do without flexing the quarter in and out

I didn't really want to open it up and expose bare metal in a place like that where it would be so vulnerable to rusting. Also it would be hard to do without flexing the quarter in and out
if it is only slightly off you can file away at the OD of the marker light. later cars are all just plastic. earlier are metal but doable. just seal prime and paint the inside if it is a metal housing.

It might be just paint buildup. I had to file mine and the paint did chip. But not enough that it would show after the light was in. Just touch it up with self etching metal primer then your color.. with a little brush.

if it is only slightly off you can file away at the OD of the marker light. later cars are all just plastic. earlier are metal but doable. just seal prime and paint the inside if it is a metal housing.

Maybe this is a better idea

1968 has a round metal threaded housing that has a special screw on nut the same size as the OD threads.

X2 on the sanding/filing after paint. most of the time you have to do this for all the holes.
Use a fine half round or rat tail file and tape off around the hole to help eliminate scratching if you slip.

If it's way to small you can use a uni-bit/step drill. Just tape the area with masking tape to eliminate the possibility of chipping. Touch up the exposed metal with paint once you get it to fit then install the signal light when dry.

Good luck.

Pic of Uni-bit for reference...

http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...&AID=10422268&partNumber=763346&storeId=10001

where I work we have die grinders with a slotted stem and you slide sandpaper in the slot. We use them to open holes up for pins they work extremely well,...thats probably what I will use

Probably just paint buildup. If you use a file, push the file into the trunk. Don't pull it to the outside. You don't want to pull a chunk of paint off the outside.

Probably just paint buildup. If you use a file, push the file into the trunk. Don't pull it to the outside. You don't want to pull a chunk of paint off the outside.
a 1/2" rotary file in your elec. drill is fast easy, u won`t mess anything up unless u slip and run across the painted surface.

a 1/2" rotary file in your elec. drill is fast easy, u won`t mess anything up unless u slip and run across the painted surface.
is the area around the round hole on your old fenders any good? I need about a 3-4" square around one of the holes for a patch job--------bob

Grind the hole open enough to fit the lights and use touch up paint or clear coat to seal the exposed metal. It will end up covered by the lights when installed anyway. Who will know?

Grind the hole open enough to fit the lights and use touch up paint or clear coat to seal the exposed metal. It will end up covered by the lights when installed anyway. Who will know?

Agreed!

And the marker light has a gasket between it and the fender right?

Just the little woes of restoring these cars with out the available original parts. Minor details in the big picture. Just treat the bare metal and do not skip that step......

-
Back