Massive oil leaks.

-

wazoo64

Reaction score
I just got my brand new 512 running today. Only a short 20 mile ride from the installer to my house and got home to find everything covered in engine oil from front to trans. Total FUBAR. All brand new parts covered in oil. Brand new headers wasted. The builder gave me one breather on drivers side and said that's all I need. I just called Mazzolini and he says the 50-70lbs of pressure probably didn't cause this but only having one breather may have done. Anyone thoughts?

Where does it look to start or did the road wind just whip it everywhere? My first guess would be cast covers hung up on the intake, or no front seal in the timing chain cover? It will wash off at self serve car wash, engine setting. Rinse with no spot to keep chrome nice.

Do you have pcv setup? Even an open hose up to inside air cleaner from opposite valve cover is not going to slow you down any.

Only one breather on drivers side. Nothing else. Oil flew everywhere in front. All over brand new wheels. A huge puddle behind main seal. This is devastation.

Attachments

• image-1557332995.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,202
before you clean it all up, put some more oil in it and rev it up until it starts leasking again so you can see where it's coming from, first of all.

I just called Mazzolini and he says the 50-70lbs of pressure probably didn't cause this but only having one breather may have done. Anyone thoughts?

dude, you have no crankcase ventilation. it built up pressure and relieved itself wherever it could. probably the dipstick tube, and other various places.

my 440 has 85 psi cold, and I don't leak a drop

You need to ventilate the crankcase with either a PCV valve or a crankcase ventilation system.

Questions.

1) Did Joe build it complete?
2) Was it ran on his Dyno?
3) Did the Installer miss something on the install..... Put a hole in the pan or Oil Filter assembly??

For it to be leaking that bad. I don't believe it is coming out of the gaskets. Something does not add up here.

How could you not notice the smoke and smells coming from the car on the ride home?

Yes. He completed build and ran on dyno. I was there and no leaks. Dyno is a short 10sec pull and not a 20minute drive.

Yes. He completed build and ran on dyno. I was there and no leaks. Dyno is a short 10sec pull and not a 20minute drive.

I would be looking at the install. I am guessing there is a hole in the oil pan or the filter assembly for that much oil to come out. Did your installer forget to tighten up the valve covers if he took them off to install the motor? Those A Bodies are tight when installing Big Blocks. I am guessing he left some thing loose or damaged something.

Even so on the Dyno it was ran up on RPM's and if there was a problem it would have shown right there. You did not take it to 6K RPM on the ride from the installer correct?

I understand your frustration.... New car, new paint, new everything. You need to stay calm and find the source of the problem before you bash and say you got ripped off etc.

I would bet you the cost of your car complete that the Installer is to blame for what happened.

You should find out the exact cause of the issue before throwing the builder under a moving bus. That is only fair.

If you ran this engine on the dyno and it did not have a leak. I would be looking to something the installer did.
The dyno pulls will show any type of oil leaks especially after the oil prime.

that is really a shame,such a sweet looking engine too.i was always under the impression in one side out the other.still sucks.

Also did you race the car around on the drive home?
The rings are not completely seated and will get some blow by till the rings seat.
If I was you, I would not be bashing anybody till you find out where the leak is coming from. Just my 2 cents

Also did you race the car around on the drive home?
The rings are not completely seated and will get some blow by till the rings seat.
If I was you, I would not be bashing anybody till you find out where the leak is coming from. Just my 2 cents
there is a huge difference between blow- by and shooting oil all over the place. ive never had any blow by coming out of my brand new builds. it doesn't take but a few miles to seat the rings.

I guess you just have to look at the obvious. I don't know how much oil you went thru, but the word massive implies that oil at full pressure is squirting out. Maybe a damaged filter, sender, something like that. Try not to let this thread die before the solution. There may be a lot to learn here. So many times these things get solved and then we never hear what the solution is.

Dyno doesn't run long enough to create the pressure. This is a crankcase ventilation issue. I know it as a fact. Leaking everywhere. Top, bottom you name it. You can't run 670HP through one breather hole.

I'm guessing the "installer" broke or forgot to tighten the oil sender, oil gauge line, maybe took the oil filter off to get it in the car then it was loose or missing the gasket. Something along those lines. Your saying on the engine dyno he only ran it for 10sec??? Why GTO the trouble of hooking it up?? Most engine shops charge $500 or more to brake in and tune your new mill on the dyno and is usually a half to full day ordeal.

The real question now is .....can I dry everything up good and add the PCV or will it still leak? I've got leaks from front case, real main seal and sitting under intake manifold. FUBAR.

I'm guessing the "installer" broke or forgot to tighten the oil sender, oil gauge line, maybe took the oil filter off to get it in the car then it was loose or missing the gasket. Something along those lines. Your saying on the engine dyno he only ran it for 10sec??? Why GTO the trouble of hooking it up?? Most engine shops charge $500 or more to brake in and tune your new mill on the dyno and is usually a half to full day ordeal.
10second pulls. Not 30minutes down the highway. This is a crankcase ventilation issue. Also the installer drove the car quite a bit to make sure no leaks. He never ran it hard enough to get the pressure high enough though. The installation is not the issue.

Is there a baffle under the breather? You must have a lot of blowby past the rings!

-
Back