massive reconfiguration time again.

-
Nice. cookies too.

Now you are going to do a breakin on the gears, right?

Btw that extra bracing that is cast into the housing tells us that you have a Dana 60HD. You definitely have a stout axle.
yes it definitely came out of a truck and also when the guy welded the new ends on he welded the housing tubes to the housing..

Nice. cookies too.

Now you are going to do a breakin on the gears, right?

Btw that extra bracing that is cast into the housing tells us that you have a Dana 60HD. You definitely have a stout axle.
Also LOL I'm going to break them in all right! Lol when I dump the oil out of the rear-end from the last time it was like brand new. But I'll be damned if I didn't use "the right stuff" on that thing and I swear I could have took the bolts out and ran it for two years and the cover would have never came off. I had to Chisel that bugger off. Then I had to hammer the cover back straight again..

I have always just used common permatex black, and just wet the gasket on both sides.
Smooth it down between you fingers, put it together, and don’t add oil for 24 hrs.

well I wire wheeled the cover as the last time I wire wheeled it I didn't even get the undercoating off of it it just had wire wheel marks. Painted it black and called it a day. this time I took it down to bare metal and thought about just clear coating it like I've done the car but it didn't come out super nice so I went ahead and primered it. I got an idea of what color I'm going to paint it but I do have some leftover beaver skin...
IMG_20190327_172709_1.jpg

well I wire wheeled the cover as the last time I wire wheeled it I didn't even get the undercoating off of it it just had wire wheel marks. Painted it black and called it a day. this time I took it down to bare metal and thought about just clear coating it like I've done the car but it didn't come out super nice so I went ahead and primered it. I got an idea of what color I'm going to paint it but I do have some leftover beaver skin...
View attachment 1715310466
I say GOLD like the engine bay, since most opponents will only get the opportunity to see the rear end and not the front end of the "scrapper" !!!

lights on the shock mount next. lol I thought the see ya was pretty cool
whatever you do, keep the Hybrid repellent by the exhaust exit.
What color lights ? green would really set off the gold. lol

lights on the shock mount next. lol I thought the see ya was pretty cool
whatever you do, keep the Hybrid repellent by the exhaust exit.
What color lights ? green would really set off the gold. lol
Always had red lights when I cruised 82nd in my first car a 73 javelin. Connected to my traction bars of course. I put those on last year when an old high school friend of mine reminded me of them. It's got to be old school just like back in the day!..
IMG_20190329_170346.jpg
IMG_20190329_165752.jpg
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great minds think alike??? Haha. Man, do those red lights bring back memories,(had them under the dash by the kick panels in my dart in high school...) huge compared to the new LED lights.

Great minds think alike??? Haha. Man, do those red lights bring back memories,(had them under the dash by the kick panels in my dart in high school...) huge compared to the new LED lights.
Just trying to keep it Old Skool like it was back in the day.

Old skool...EXACTLY! Mines definitely going back to the way it was in its prime. I personally loved the green with black accents.( bumpers were painted black when I bought it and I liked it.. I know it's not for everyone .) Lots of rust to take care of first thou!
20190329_220918.jpg
20190329_220758.jpg
20190329_221513.jpg

don't forget the CB whip antenna with a tennis ball on the end. lol make that 2 antennas. lol
if you're gonna do it , do it right. lol

don't forget the CB whip antenna with a tennis ball on the end. lol make that 2 antennas. lol
if you're gonna do it , do it right. lol
This isn't Smokey and the Bandit man...
I didn't have a CB when I was a kid nor did I think I was supposed to have one...

Major difference for the better with the new gears. They wouldn't have worked well with the old cam I can already tell.
Put fatter metering rods and stiffer Springs. Had to change back to the medium Springs it was way too lean at wide open throttle. Also I put it back to "one to one" and I'm not quite sure if this was a good choice. with the higher gear it wants a little more feather on the gas when starting off and one to one does not do that well. At least I'm going to have to get use to it.

I want slots for my car too..
I want slots, and I want to paint them gold. I want to make my car look like a "barn find" hot rod from 1980..... I don't want to paint it, I want to clear coat the old paint.

Major difference for the better with the new gears. They wouldn't have worked well with the old cam I can already tell.
Put fatter metering rods and stiffer Springs. Had to change back to the medium Springs it was way too lean at wide open throttle. Also I put it back to "one to one" and I'm not quite sure if this was a good choice. with the higher gear it wants a little more feather on the gas when starting off and one to one does not do that well. At least I'm going to have to get use to it.
Think them 3.54's need some feathering? Try 2.45's... :poke:

Well...I guess that's half the fun of switching things up/ experimenting with a new setup. I'm sure you'll have it worked out in a couple weeks....right in time for a few test and tune runs???

Think them 3.54's need some feathering? Try 2.45's... :poke:
You know how I am four changes that once! I should have waited on the one to one...
the metering Rod spring change was kind of dramatic from Step 4 down to step 3. Almost want to change the rear Jets a little leaner.. they can get down into the Low 11s when at wide open throttle and I want 12.5..

-
Back