massive reconfiguration time again.

-
OH MY ! You make everything a project. lol were you a construction engineer before you became a master mechanic/race car driver. lol

Looking goody under the hoody...
IMG_20190323_095131.jpg

you are always so detailed, like a teacher I once had. not a bad thing.
Actually yes I'm very detail-oriented. it's part of the good and bad of my personality. I also use my voice command on my phone for most everything and I try to go back and correct, but you are getting exactly how I would talk to you if you were here. That's what gets me crazy about some of these internet Heroes that talk a lot of crap that they wouldn't talk to somebody's face..

Very cool looking small block! I love the Direct Connection stuff. I wish I would have bought a ton of it when I worked in a parts store in the late eighties. Not for a profit either, but for my sons and I to use.

Well my temporary high was just blown! LOL I got the car started for the first time in some time. It would not idle worth crap just like the previous owner of the carburetor that I just rebuilt indicated he had problems with.
I'm having trouble thinking of what it could be? I know I submerged all the parts in carburetor cleaner and they came out looking brand new. Not only that I ran a full can of carburetor cleaner through every Orphus blowing everything out in the body itself and in every piece. my wideband O2 sensor was saying extremely lean and I mean leaner than I've seen it ever before. I had the idle mixture is cranked out to one and a half and then went to two full turns out. I replaced the Jets the metering rods and Springs from the carburetor that I used to have on there which also has the matching ones in the front carburetor. I can tell right now until I find out what's going on with this carburetor I'm probably going to take it off put the Jets and stuff back in my old carburetor and run that. It was a little on the rich side but for crying out loud it would idle...

That's funny I was actually reading that before I went out and tried the car this morning. I can see that there was some how did to the post but this is nowhere near what's going on with this carburetor. For whatever reason I think it has an internal passage or something that is not working correctly. Again I put my other carburetor on and immediately everything was running back to normal. The only way I was able to keep it to idle whatsoever was by turning up the idle on the front carburetor which never got messed with before.

I had an issue with the edelbrock on my truck after a rebuild, ended up being the air bleeds were cruded up even after the dip. I dont remember the size but cleaned them with a torch tip cleaner and not a problem since. Would be worth a quick check.

I had an issue with the edelbrock on my truck after a rebuild, ended up being the air bleeds were cruded up even after the dip. I dont remember the size but cleaned them with a torch tip cleaner and not a problem since. Would be worth a quick check.
I got this little pin cleaner with our Harbor Freight power washer last week and I use that to poke in all the little bleed holes. Fionn like I was saying blasting every single hole with carburetor cleaner making sure it blast it out the other direction on everything several times.
IMG_20190323_183841.jpg

I got to admit that was a real stumper. I can't think of anything I did wrong here to make the carburetor not run. I mean as long as I had my foot on the gas it ran and revved up and would hold about two grand but anything below that it just would want to dog out and stop. O2 sensor was showing very lean also. Obviously something in the idle circuit but I haven't figured it out yet. I may give it another College try but I'd like to try it on a different vehicle first LOL.

You know I just thought of something! I wonder if the bottom of the carburetor is Warped? I remember the gasket on the bottom was what but it did not leave an imprint of the carburetor like my Carter did. That will be something I will check first thing.. A massive vacuum leak underneath the carburetor??

You know I just thought of something! I wonder if the bottom of the carburetor is Warped? I remember the gasket on the bottom was what but it did not leave an imprint of the carburetor like my Carter did. That will be something I will check first thing.. A massive vacuum leak underneath the carburetor??
did you spray around the base with carb cleaner with it idling?

did you spray around the base with carb cleaner with it idling?
Well it wouldn't idle and it was starting to show like 18 19 and 20 on the O2 wideband and that is almost off the chart lean. I wasn't going to play with it. As you can imagine the car was warming up very fast and this was the first time I started it in three or four months and I wasn't going for that. I wasn't letting this one pile of crap carburetor blow up my motor. Again I put the Jets rods and springs back in my old carburetor and fired it up and warmed it up to warming temperature with 14 to 14.7 showing on the O2 sensor. It was hitting 13.8 quite a few times also I should say that. Also it was reving just fine when I with rev the front carburetor. But also when I manually read the front carburetor I can't see what the O2 sensors doing inside..

well I'm preparing to crash out but I still ran out and checked that carburetor for flatness on the bottom and it seemed okay. So back to the drawing board..

You run electric water pump too?
I did til the last winter. I cut the cage out, de-camed it, and made a bunch of changes for more street comfort. It's on the Shelf still glued to the timing cover with the March performance reduced pulley and smaller v- belt..
My full drag slicks and Skinny's are still on the Shelf, my lightweight race doors are out in the shed.
The name of the thread massive reconfiguration? I know you don't want to read from the beginning LOL but maybe the first post will start explaining I think..

-
Back