massive reconfiguration time again.

-
I was thinking pump shot too.
is the multiple holes on the pump arm like on the AFB. I believe the are 3 or 4 holes to adjust the shot.
Yes and it's set in the middle one, but I have a feeling that it's going to need more than that.. but I do have that adjustment as well. There's three, but I can move it up one..
I'm going to have to take a harder look at things as I still don't see how that secondary door can open on its own unhooked being spring-loaded shut. but again it looks like I'm going to try a little more investigation on that before I give it a whirl. I just took a quick look and I'm not sure exactly how I would wire them down...

It has .031 squirt nozzles Factory and there's only one size smaller the 28, but then it goes to .037 .040 .042 .045 and .047...
I can easily see myself needing bigger ones...

It has .031 squirt nozzles Factory and there's only one size smaller the 28, but then it goes to .037 .040 .042 .045 and .047...
I can easily see myself needing bigger ones...

Yep. Used to be (I'm old) that the AFB only had 3 nozzles. The small was really small. The medium was what fit most stuff. And the big nozzle was big...IIRC up around .045 and that's what most tunnel ram stuff took for those carbs.

I'm thinking its going to take a pretty big nozzle and the longest shot you can give it. Sometimes you need a bit smaller nozzle to make the pump shot last longer.

Big nozzle=huge short shot of fuel.
Small nozzle=smaller fuel volume for a longer time.

Sometimes you end up with the same volume with different nozzles but the length of time of the shot cleans up a bog.

Just as a hypothetical, let's say you have a 28 nozzle and with the full stroke it's 10cc's of fuel. And just for fun we will say that shot lasts three seconds.

Now you go up to a say...45 nozzle with the same pump stroke. You may still get 10cc's of fuel, but it may all get there in one second.

My point? Sometimes it's as much about the timing of the shot as the volume.

Yep. Used to be (I'm old) that the AFB only had 3 nozzles. The small was really small. The medium was what fit most stuff. And the big nozzle was big...IIRC up around .045 and that's what most tunnel ram stuff took for those carbs.

I'm thinking its going to take a pretty big nozzle and the longest shot you can give it. Sometimes you need a bit smaller nozzle to make the pump shot last longer.

Big nozzle=huge short shot of fuel.
Small nozzle=smaller fuel volume for a longer time.

Sometimes you end up with the same volume with different nozzles but the length of time of the shot cleans up a bog.

Just as a hypothetical, let's say you have a 28 nozzle and with the full stroke it's 10cc's of fuel. And just for fun we will say that shot lasts three seconds.

Now you go up to a say...45 nozzle with the same pump stroke. You may still get 10cc's of fuel, but it may all get there in one second.

My point? Sometimes it's as much about the timing of the shot as the volume.
I reckon that would have something to do with which hole I put the pump shot arm in as well?.. of course my first recourse of action would be to go from The medium setting to the upper setting which would give it more of a pump squirt I guess? Or at least according to the manual..
It looks like today got kind of shot.. I did get out to Ted and get 7 quarts of Penn grade. Stopped by Baxter's and got a wix filter which is odd for me because I usually get the Mopar 0 9 0 at Walmart but I just wasn't going by that way. And actually Baxter's sold it to me for 6 bucks which is a little cheaper than Walmart...

I reckon that would have something to do with which hole I put the pump shot arm in as well?.. of course my first recourse of action would be to go from The medium setting to the upper setting which would give it more of a pump squirt I guess? Or at least according to the manual..
It looks like today got kind of shot.. I did get out to Ted and get 7 quarts of Penn grade. Stopped by Baxter's and got a wix filter which is odd for me because I usually get the Mopar 0 9 0 at Walmart but I just wasn't going by that way. And actually Baxter's sold it to me for 6 bucks which is a little cheaper than Walmart...

At least you got something done. Sunny as July here right now. Half an hour ago it was raining sideways!!!

Okay I got to get motivated here LOL I got back from the machine shop and a meet and greet with a new customer had a sandwich and I need to get out of this chair before I wake up and wonder what happened! LOL..

Well no carburetor tuning today and it doesn't look like I make it any chance tomorrow as well... Plan A down the tubes.. I did get my oil change though and that is a good thing.. it's still early in the year and I have plenty of time...

Last edited:
Hopefully some more time for test and tune on these new carburetors today. I'm going to start with trying to disconnect the secondaries. I do have some larger discharge nozzles coming later today but I don't think they'll be here in time for me to try. It looks like the rain will be here late this afternoon so this may be my last chance for some time..
The book that came with the carburetors did say that bigger motors with longer duration camshaft may need a bigger discharge nozzle so this could be one of my problems as well..

Well the 42 nozzles came in with my order early today. I tried those and not really getting much success here. The car does run good and rolls into the throttle well but say you're doing about 35 in third gear you let off and just punch it, it falls completely on his face.. then takes off like a bat out of hell...
I tried turning the timing up a couple degrees from 33 to 35. Which brought it from 19 to 21 initial.. I tried going from the yellow Springs to the Orange Springs. I tried another quarter turn tighter on the secondary doors when I finally went ahead and hook back up the secondaries. I started before I put the nozzles on with a higher setting on the accelerator pump that didn't work.
I'm starting to worry if these 2 in spacers are killing me. I mean the cross ram back in the day I'm sure had fine throttle response? It is some 14 to 16 inches between the squirters and the cylinder...
Thinking my next step might be just to order even bigger squirters. I think they go up to .047...
I'm thinking about trying to take the spacers out and see what happens. I'm thinking about throwing my old carbs on and seeing what happens. Time is running out today and tomorrow it will be rainy.

Oh yeah a spark plug..
IMG_20200228_140802.jpg

Well the 42 nozzles came in with my order early today. I tried those and not really getting much success here. The car does run good and rolls into the throttle well but say you're doing about 35 in third gear you let off and just punch it, it falls completely on his face.. then takes off like a bat out of hell...
I tried turning the timing up a couple degrees from 33 to 35. Which brought it from 19 to 21 initial.. I tried going from the yellow Springs to the Orange Springs. I tried another quarter turn tighter on the secondary doors when I finally went ahead and hook back up the secondaries. I started before I put the nozzles on with a higher setting on the accelerator pump that didn't work.
I'm starting to worry if these 2 in spacers are killing me. I mean the cross ram back in the day I'm sure had fine throttle response? It is some 14 to 16 inches between the squirters and the cylinder...
Thinking my next step might be just to order even bigger squirters. I think they go up to .047...
I'm thinking about trying to take the spacers out and see what happens. I'm thinking about throwing my old carbs on and seeing what happens. Time is running out today and tomorrow it will be rainy.

Lean stumble and that plug is lean

Lean stumble and that plug is lean
yeah I was feeling that as well maybe I can try putting those greensprings back in or even going to the silver?
And o2 gauge is showing rich and that's pissing me off..
Oh my goodness those little pins!??
who's little buzzards I swear to goodness I spent more time crawling around like a crackhead on the ground looking for those things that I did actually taking them off and putting them on! Why why why LOL...
IMG_20200228_090914.jpg
IMG_20200228_090924.jpg

yeah I was feeling that as well maybe I can try putting those greensprings back in or even going to the silver?
And o2 gauge is showing rich and that's pissing me off..
Oh my goodness those little pins!??
who's little buzzards I swear to goodness I spent more time crawling around like a crackhead on the ground looking for those things that I did actually taking them off and putting them on! Why why why LOL...
View attachment 1715478592 View attachment 1715478593
was that run with the back barrels unhooked?

^^^^Hey just wait till you are old and blind like me, your auther is so bad you an hardly grip a gal jar of pickles, and when you do get down on your knees to find that damn little clip, it takes a friggin crane to get you back up! ... and, never mind the rest!!!

was that run with the back barrels unhooked?
I made about three runs with the back barrels unhooked and it was still stumbling. I finally for the last run hooked up the back barrels cuz by golly I wanted to feel all she had for once today LOL..

^^^^Hey just wait till you are old and blind like me, your auther is so bad you an hardly grip a gal jar of pickles, and when you do get down on your knees to find that damn little clip, it takes a friggin crane to get you back up! ... and, never mind the rest!!!
Gettin there...

I made about three runs with the back barrels unhooked and it was still stumbling. I finally for the last run hooked up the back barrels cuz by golly I wanted to feel all she had for once today LOL..
then your fuel tip-in is terrible. You need a wheel barrel more pump shot for when you slam the pedal to the metal

Fixing to go up another half inch with nitrous plates...:thumbsup:..
You need to get your accelerator pump shot to dump the fuel in as quickly as possible and the biggest shot possible. Don't know what all is available for the Demons, but it's what I think you need - sitting 2000 miles away from you.. LOL

-
Back