Master Cylinder Choice.

-

64 SRT8 Dart

Reaction score
Okay so I have almost everything for the front brake swap for my 66 Valiant but need advice on the master cylinder/ prop valve.
The brakes are a single piston caliper disc setup from a 76 Dart that had power brakes. I'm only wanting manual brakes on the Valiant, so which master cylinder should I get that will work for my setup?
Can I get a dual resevoir cylinder for a manual disc 76 Dart and use that without having to modify the brake plunger rod?
Also, can I get a prop valve from, let's say, a 70's truck with disc front/drum rear and use that?
This is pretty much what I'm down to in this swap and really need to get it figured out, so much help is needed and appreciated!!

Hello, I have installed a Napa M/C Part #36308 ($115) which i have been told was large enough to support drum or disc brakes. I purchased a new distribution valve($70.) from a Canadian supplier who i believe is supplied by Fine Lines. I think they will be able to supply you with the correct advise and parts. I hope to post some photos of my brake set up soon.

A 76 Dart MC should bolt right up, and I think the pedal will be in the same place. The attachment to the pedal should be the same. I say this because I installed power brake brackets from a ~73 Dart in my 65 Dart, but used a booster/MC from a 96 Breeze to save weight. I got an adjustable proportioning valve off ebay for the rear, ~$25 and looks just like the ~$50 from Summit, etc. I plan front disk brakes later, which explains the booster. The pedal is almost too easy with the current 10" drum brakes.

For manual brakes, you want a MC with a smaller bore. I would guess <1"D. If you can find a factory one for 73+ manual disk brakes that should work. Personally, I wouldn't fool with an old cast-iron MC, but would use a later aluminum MC. They look pretty generic for most cars. However, you need an adapter plate to the 2 bolts (~$50) or maybe one could just drill 2 holes in the firewall (anyone tried?). I wouldn't use a factory proportioning since they are fixed and designed for a specific car. An adjustable one is cheaper anyway.

Get a 73-76 MC for an A-body, an match it up with a similar 73-76 A-body dist block. Unless your doing alot of road racing(braking) IMO a adjustable prop valve is overkill.

-
Back