Master Cylinder Mystery leak

-

51John

Reaction score
I have a'65 Valiant with a 318, it has a aftermarket dual master cylinder, I've noticed that when I shut off the car after a cruise, the master cylinder will leak a little fluid..I noticed this because the fluid is dripping onto the exhaust manifold and burning up..The two brake lines are perfect without leaks. Somehow its coming out from beneath the rubber gasket. Could his be from the heat? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Take master off, take cover and gasket off, take a flat surface, like a flat piece of sheet metal, put a piece of sandpaper on it, flip mc over and sand until it's flat, then sand some more.

A few members have had the problem of the gasket leaking, including myself. The sealing area rusts. clean it real good. I ended up sanding mine. clean the gasket on both sides. It gets the rust imbedded in it. Also don't fill to the top.

Could also be that it's over filled. They don't need to be filled right to the top.

I have a'65 Valiant with a 318, it has a aftermarket dual master cylinder, I've noticed that when I shut off the car after a cruise, the master cylinder will leak a little fluid..I noticed this because the fluid is dripping onto the exhaust manifold and burning up..The two brake lines are perfect without leaks. Somehow its coming out from beneath the rubber gasket. Could his be from the heat? Any thoughts are appreciated.
I just went through this same problem, four wheel drum MC. I bought some gasket material and cut it the size of the MC gasket hollowed out the center so the two cups can move up and down and placed it between the metal cap and gasket and the cover went on much tighter. It didn't leak so far but I haven't really tested it too long.

I think they all slosh fluid out and if that can happen, they can absorb moisture from the air to form corrosives, unless you use silicone DOT 5 like me. It is also a great paint remover - why most cars you see in the junkyard have a rusted firewall around the MC. If it tires you and you don't like rusty cast-iron, see my post where I used a 95-95 Breeze ABS MC in my 64 Valiant, on a 4 to 2-bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay). The pedal wound up in the same place. Also works on a booster (my 65 Newport). Many other 2-bolt alum MC's can work. Dr Diff sells one w/ plate for ~$120, similar to 1980's Dodge one but offers a smaller bore (for easier pedal).

I replaced mine 10 years ago and it seeped fluid all around for weeks.
Sanded as described, learned that from fabo, zero fluid has leaked out, zip, nadda.

had to flat file mine...then repaint my freshly painted engine bay... urgh!!!

I think they all slosh fluid out and if that can happen, they can absorb moisture from the air to form corrosives, unless you use silicone DOT 5 like me. It is also a great paint remover - why most cars you see in the junkyard have a rusted firewall around the MC. If it tires you and you don't like rusty cast-iron, see my post where I used a 95-95 Breeze ABS MC in my 64 Valiant, on a 4 to 2-bolt adapter plate ($30 ebay). The pedal wound up in the same place. Also works on a booster (my 65 Newport). Many other 2-bolt alum MC's can work. Dr Diff sells one w/ plate for ~$120, similar to 1980's Dodge one but offers a smaller bore (for easier pedal).
Being the breeze is power brakes without the recess for the rubber bushing to hold the pushrod, how do you use this MC with a manual brake car? Also, the ports on the newer MC are different sizes than the old one so how did you screw the brake lines into the newer Breeze MC?
Thanks

Being the breeze is power brakes without the recess for the rubber bushing to hold the pushrod, how do you use this MC with a manual brake car? Also, the ports on the newer MC are different sizes than the old one so how did you screw the brake lines into the newer Breeze MC?
Thanks
Appears you didn't google my post. I stated that in a test fit I put the rod in, then tried to remove it to add the dust bellows and had to beat it out, destroying the new rubber bushing in the process, so it does secure that bushing well. The ports were definitely a different size than my 64 Valiant which had a single 1/4" tube from MC to distribution block. The 95-99 "cloud car" MC has dbl-flare 3/16" tube ports. An ABS has just 2 ports. Don't recall the tube nut sizes. I made my own tubes w/ adj proportioning valve on the rear tubing in case I later add front disks. Many MC's would work. Later ones have bubble-flare ports, but no problem since you can form those w/ a common dbl-flare tool (youtube), as I did just last week when replacing a brake tube on my 96 Voyager.

I had this issue, figured out the hold-down piece (spring? IDK what it's called) wasn't bent enough to hold the cap on tight enough. Took it off, bent it some more on my work bench then popped it all back together, no more leaks. Only took me about 6 years to figure out lol

I had this issue, figured out the hold-down piece ... wasn't bent enough to hold the cap on tight enough ...
One reason I hate the OE master cylinders. If the cap leaks, it will not only remove paint but that means moisture can also get in to be absorbed and cause internal corrosion in your whole brake system. Other reasons are that cast iron is heavy and ugly when it rusts. A later 2-bolt aluminum MC is nicer.

-
Back