Master cylinder questions

-

67dart_drop_top

Reaction score
I am replacing the master cylinder on my 67 dart. I checked out some related posts just to get a heads up on any potential problems. A few of the posts centered on how hard it was to remove the push rod. Mine slid out easily, but that may have been because of a bad reason: the bushing was almost all gone. I read another post that suggested that this bushing should have been included with the new master cylinder--it was not. Another post suggested using a piece of proper size rubber hose. Nobody seemed to shoot that idea down, but I just want to make sure beforehand. If I cannot find the bushing, I will need an alternative.

Next question: I am replacing all of the brake lines. There are two places where the lines meet. All four meet in a front junction box. I believe they may be called proportioning valves. Anyway, should I try to blow these out or somehow clean them, or should I try to find some new ones?

My last question: I found a spring underneath the car while I was working. It could have come from the new master cylinder, the old master cylinder, or it could have come from one of my kids' toys??? It looks new--like it could have come from the new MC; however, I could not find the old one and where it would have come from. Anyone recognze it.

Attachments

• bushing.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 222
  • spring.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 229
Sorry

Don't know how to advise you on the rubber retainer

I don't believe that spring belongs in there anywhere

So far as the brake lines/ junction, you have "all drums?" If so, that is not a prop valve, but a combination junction block and warning switch. It has a piston in there and if pressure drops in front or rear, it drives the piston to one end, actuating the dash warning light.

The piston does have O rings which are surely getting tired. I've never pulled on apart, but there are people who rebuild them, and there's not much to them.

Again assuming you have 4 wheel drums, the top drawing in this thread is what you have

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=81799

I am not sure how to advise you. I just got my 383 running again tonight. My brakes go to the floor, opened the master and no fluid in the rear section. I think I will rebuild the whole system. I will let you know if I come up with anything for you!

I don't know where to buy the rubber bushing separately. If me, I would try to use a thick rubber O-ring, but I have an O-ring kit. I think its only purpose is to keep the brake rod from rattling, but I would try pulling the brake pedal up and see if there is any way the rod could pop out of the MC, since some people say the bushing retains the rod. I don't recognize the spring. It doesn't quite look like the spring in a wheel cylinder kit.

never seen a spring in there also..

rubber bushing can also be had from Doctor Diff or Manicini...or you can cut a piece off vacuum hose

Ace Hardware had a great selection of rubber grommets. And they helped me to realize that the is a shoulder at the bottom of the cylinder that keeps the bushing in place.

My thought about the part was to keep the pushrod centered.

Thanks for help. Sorry about the impatience.

-
Back