'Match Race' ~ 1968 Barracuda '340-S' vs. 1971 'Duster 340'

-
Lets not forget.

The 1968 mid-year Hurst Shifter {after January 1, 1968} was only a
'Hurst Shifter'.

The linkage control-rods were the same.

Still, a big difference.

Really?? My march 68 RR doesn't have any of that inland garbage.

You do know, that changeovers from Inland to Hurst varied at
different Mopar Plants.

Though no set date has been ever given > January 5, 1968 is regarded as the cut-off date.

Yes, your 1968 Road Runner {March build date} should have a Hurst Shifter.

Id go with the 68. I think the 68 had better compression than any 71 and the 625 would suffice through the traps. The 68 also had better exhaust from the factory. I think a 68 Dart would be lighter still. I had a 68 340 (TQ though) in my '65 and would regularly tangle with a neighborhood 340 duster. Got him every time but I was probably 300 lbs lighter.

Not true. the 68 had 2'' head pipes and a 2'' inlet on the mufler. 69 and later had a 2 1/4'' head pipe and a 2 1/4'' inlet on the muffler. All years had the terrible kink on the drivers side head pipe.on 'a' bodies.

I am curious if there is a difference in weight over the real wheels on these two cars?

From what I've read, the weight of the rear glass in the barracuda over the rear axle put it at an advantage compared to other models.
That being said, I'm not sure how it would compare to a duster in particular.
I really wish I had been around when these cars came out. I was born a generation or two too late lol.

From what I've read, the weight of the rear glass in the barracuda over the rear axle put it at an advantage compared to other models.
That being said, I'm not sure how it would compare to a duster in particular.
I really wish I had been around when these cars came out. I was born a generation or two too late lol.

Yes, it was fun for sure. But some things back then I wouldn't want back. :)

It always seemed like my 69 FB hooked better than my 72 Duster (on the street), but very unscientific information that I am providing here.:glasses7: There were other variables between my two cars too.

Spike

1971 Duster 340 ~ 4-Speed ~ w/Front Disc Brakes and Power Steering

Shipping Weight = #3165 lbs.

Front................. = #1693 lbs. {53.5%}
Rear.................. = #1472 lbs. {46.5%}

1968 Barracuda 340 'Formula S' Fastback ~ 4-Speed ~ w/Drum Brakes and Manual Steering

Shipping Weight = #3162 lbs.

Front............... = #1721 lbs. {54.4%}
Rear................ = #1441 lbs. {45.6%}

'Surprising'

71 Duster 340 / 71 Demon 340 every time....fastest of the A body small blocks.....

This.... a 71 340 with the TQ would kick *** over that 68, even with less cam. I think NHRA even factored the TQ motors like 20 HP over the earlier AVS ones......

-
Back