"Matching Numbers"...'splain to me, Lucy...

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
OK; I understand the part about the fender tag, and casting date, etc on the block. Bot how do we determine if a smallblock casting number actually came out of a particular car? Is there a tie-in with the fender tag? If not, how do you confirm a "matching numbers" motor to an A-body?

True matching numbers cars have EVERYTHING with casting dates on it that are built and assembled before the actual production date.
This includes the intake and exhaust manifolds, the carburetor, alternator, engine, transmission, rear end, yada yada.
On '68 and up cars, the engine and transmission is stamped with the car's partial V.I.N. on them.
The body on '69 and newer cars had the last part of the V.I.N. stamped in various parts of the body's sheet metal as well.
A true matching numbers car has the fender tag or data tag that matches the V.I.N. of the car and shows the major options on '69 and newer.
Keep in mind that the car's scheduled production date wasn't always the actual production date.
Usually the parts pre date the car's scheduled date by a few months.
A true matching numbers car is actually quite rare, because some minor components have been replaced due to normal wear and tear and maintenance.
A good example of this is the spark plug wires, fuel filter, alternator, water pump, and air filter.

:cheers:
True matching numbers cars have EVERYTHING with casting dates on it that are built and assembled before the actual production date.
This includes the intake and exhaust manifolds, the carburetor, alternator, engine, transmission, rear end, yada yada.
On '68 and up cars, the engine and transmission is stamped with the car's partial V.I.N. on them.
The body on '69 and newer cars had the last part of the V.I.N. stamped in various parts of the body's sheet metal as well.
A true matching numbers car has the fender tag or data tag that matches the V.I.N. of the car and shows the major options on '69 and newer.
Keep in mind that the car's scheduled production date wasn't always the actual production date.
A true matching numbers car is actually quite rare, because some minor components have been replaced due to normal wear and tear and maintenance.
A good example of this is the spark plug wires, fuel filter, alternator, water pump, and air filter.

True survivors are most likely to be a numbers matching car. BUT not necessarily. IMO.:cheers:

x2. My buddy had a true 99% original Superbird with 16K on it. Ran like crap because it had the original everything except the oil filter and air filter. He hated it so much he sold it and bought a viper he "could drive and beat on without worrying".

68 engines have the vin on top of the bell housing flange, behind the left head. Most people only care about matching numbers on the key components like engine and trans. This changes on high dollar cars. The Corvette guys get very crazy about this.

68 engines have the vin on top of the bell housing flange, behind the left head. Most people only care about matching numbers on the key components like engine and trans. This changes on high dollar cars. The Corvette guys get very crazy about this.

This is true for most 68's,some early 68 cars had no VIN stampings. My GTS has a 68 340 in it with a VIN stamped in that location, but its not a match to my VIN #.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 143
-
Back