Mate 67 /6 to 72 tranny

-

msaund69

Cold-Member
Reaction score
Hate to ask but I have searched and not been able to find a clear answer. The slant in my 72 auto Dart died. I have a rebuilt 67. The 72 tranny won't mate flush, seem to be a torque converter issue. Can someone help?

I did not know the slants had an issue. The early V8s had a smaller crank bore for the converter snout.

Hate to ask but I have searched and not been able to find a clear answer. The slant in my 72 auto Dart died. I have a rebuilt 67. The 72 tranny won't mate flush, seem to be a torque converter issue. Can someone help?
How close is it?

How close is it?
The hole in the crank is not big enough to accept the 72 torque. Keeps engine and tranny 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart....

received_1891535584422577.jpeg

received_1891535637755905.jpeg

Yes, the slants changed from 67 to 68. To mate up a 68 motor with my 67 904, I had to use an adapter ring. Going the other way, you'd have to use a different torque convertor with a small snout.

BTW, don't feel too bad, I had to fab two flexplates together to put the built 2.2TurboI out of My '84 LaserXE into My '87 CaravelleSE because of a total flexplate/converter/
trans/crank bolt pattern change. It was the easiest way for Me on that project, a hybrid converter is the easiest for you.

BTW, don't feel too bad, I had to fab two flexplates together to put the built 2.2TurboI out of My '84 LaserXE into My '87 CaravelleSE because of a total flexplate/converter/
trans/crank bolt pattern change. It was the easiest way for Me on that project, a hybrid converter is the easiest for you.
Guess I need to source one...

Charrlie_S named the company a number of people have used, probably in a least one of the post links above, plus shipping to Bermuda..........hopefully not as bad or
worse than Our Canadian neighbors!!

Just a thought, wonder if a machine shop could turn the knob in the converter down to fit the 67 crank

Just a thought, wonder if a machine shop could turn the knob in the converter down to fit the 67 crank
No, there is not enough "meat", to turn it that small. Cure:
1) Get a "hybrid" converter from Dacco Home | DACCO
2) Swap out the front section of the trans (pump, shaft, clutches/plantary) for the early trans parts.
3) Remove the crank and have a machine shop bore the hole larger, or replace crank with 68 up unit.

2) Swap out the front section of the trans (pump, shaft, clutches/plantary) for the early trans parts.
3) Remove the crank and have a machine shop bore the hole larger, or replace crank with 68 up unit.
it was worth a shot i guess

I would rebuild the 72 tranny. No sense not to since your engine is rebuilt. You can do it, I did (at least the A-413 torqueflite in my FWD minivan, essentially same). The manuals are step-step. If you can't find A-904, you can download free an A-413 manual from Neon tuner sites, and I expect "close enough" for a "banner rebuild" (gaskets & clutches). Don't dig past the clutch packs. If you pull out the over-running clutch in the bottom, it gets tricky to reinstall w/ the little rollers & springs. When reinstalling, use the front parts from an earlier transmission and those are small enough to ship affordably.

I ran into this putting a low mile 65 slant in a 80 pickup. Believe it or not, the cheapest fix was to buy a reman crank kit for a 68 up slant, and put it in the 65 motor. Comes with new bearings as well. Simple two hour job.

-
Back