Max Compression With Felpro Gaskets??

-

Mad Dart

Nothing to see Here!
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions for you guys. This is targeted for a Felpro Race Style Gasket NON MLS.......

1) How much compression can they handle?
2) Cylinder pressure?
3) How much Nitrous if Any?

Thanks in advance.

I have read in the how to build big inch small blocks that they can hold up to 11:1 comp.

im in the same boat you are, Im going to use the same kind of head gaskets that I used with the Magnum heads, Which I think are the LA head gaskets, that worked fine

I know the 8553'SP'will hold 12.5, don't know about the 519.

Tech at Jegs told me about a Mr Gasket composite #3211G that would work fine for tons of compression and nitrous or even super chargers.

I know the 8553'SP'will hold 12.5, don't know about the 519.

Tech at Jegs told me about a Mr Gasket composite #3211G that would work fine for tons of compression and nitrous or even super chargers.

The 3211G is only .040 thick and wont work for me.

How thick is the 8553?? And where do you get it? Is that a felpro#?

I've blown too many Fel-Pro's composites under nitrous. Any build I do over 10:1 I use Cometic MLS gaskets. Zero failures so far. Milkshakes in the crankcase sucks.

They call the 8553 an ECONOMY replacement gasket. They are 1/2 the price of the 519SD-PT, must be for a reason since it is the same manufacturer. I think I will stick with the 519SD Permatorque's for now until Kevin at Cometic pulls thru with the MLS gaskets I really want. I am going to Call Felpro if I can tomorrow or the tech line at Jegs to see what they say.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fel-...mQQptZOther_Vehicle_Parts?hash=item5d26678561

Good luck on the build Mad Dart! I've been watching since you had your heads done by BJR. Looking forward to some strip numbers and driving impressions. :)

sorry, I think i missed it, but we can use Magnum head gaskets on a La block correct?

the issue is not the gaskets, but the holding force... Small blocks dont have really good head sealing. I've used the fel pro blue up to 12:1, but over that I would be upgrading to studs and a better gasket. Probably MLS.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5426184&Main=5424567 "The 8553PT is a .054" composite head gasket , The 8553SP is a .020" copper shim used to decrease compression or take the place of excessivly milled heads or block . It can be used with a composite head gasket. "

When I checked, the perma torque[not what I was recommending] was .039 compressed which is the key measurement.
The 8553 was a biff on my part, missinfo on the jegs site I was lookin at.

And the 1008 aint thick enough=.039

sorry, I think i missed it, but we can use Magnum head gaskets on a La block correct?

You would need the Magnum Valve train set up to use a TRUE Magnum head gasket. The difference is the oiling hole in the gasket that goes into the head.
A True magnum gasket will not have this oiling hole to my understanding.

Talked to Brian at Indio Motor Machine. He uses a SCE/TITAN gasket that is Copper and meant for use without ringing the block or heads. He gets the gasket without the embossing on them and uses a really small bead of Permatex GRAY on the block around all the openings then sets the gasket on the block, then same on the heads, not the gasket itself. Torques them down and has been successful with way bigger builds and compression than mine with a 200 shot of NOS without any issues whatsoever............ I am looking into them.

Grey ain't for heads; use copper coat.

Hard to tell a guy who has been successful for years something different than what has worked for him...........I read the back of the gray today and I agree it says not for head gaskets.

These are Copper gaskets. I usually use Copper coat on all my regular gaskets.

-
Back