Max Compression With Felpro Gaskets??

-
Your not supposed to use ANY silicone on head gaskets...but on copper you need a sealer around the water jackets. I've tried Copper Coat but in high load builds the head moves way too much and breaks the seal and leads to water in the oil.
The grey permatex holds very well. I've got a few engines out there running for 3 years with no tear downs and no leaks. I've found the grey allows movement without breaking the seal.
This is on SCE's Titan ICS gasket.

Your not supposed to use ANY silicone on head gaskets...but on copper you need a sealer around the water jackets. I've tried Copper Coat but in high load builds the head moves way too much and breaks the seal and leads to water in the oil.
The grey permatex holds very well. I've got a few engines out there running for 3 years with no tear downs and no leaks. I've found the grey allows movement without breaking the seal.
This is on SCE's Titan ICS gasket.

Great explanation! Thanks

Ok,

Tomorrow morning I am finally installing the heads. Nothing worked out for me on the gaskets so I am running the Felpro 519SD perma torques. Should hopefully hold up to my low compression motor of only 11.25:1, If I run the Juice I will keep it at a 125 shot MAXX.

ARP says Torque to 105lbs with arp lube on the nuts and washers. If not then it says to go 130. I will be torquing them down in 3 or 4 steps. Then I will be measuring the push rods for order on Monday. Dyno Friday or Sat next week........

Mad Dart,

I have a 360 with zero deck flat tops and iron heads, in my Dart that has 11.18:1 compression and I use a 200 shot on it and I have yet to lose a felpro permatorque blue. I use ARP head studs and fill the tank with C12 Vp race fuel when I use the juice. I have squeezed it with pump gas and have yet to have a failure, but my nerves cant take that much abuse. At the 2003 MATS I ran a 10.86 @ 128 on pump gas in a stock 70 Dart with PS and steel wheels. So IMHO I would use the Felpros without hesitation.

Mad Dart,

I have a 360 with zero deck flat tops and iron heads, in my Dart that has 11.18:1 compression and I use a 200 shot on it and I have yet to lose a felpro permatorque blue. I use ARP head studs and fill the tank with C12 Vp race fuel when I use the juice. I have squeezed it with pump gas and have yet to have a failure, but my nerves cant take that much abuse. At the 2003 MATS I ran a 10.86 @ 128 on pump gas in a stock 70 Dart with PS and steel wheels. So IMHO I would use the Felpros without hesitation.

Dang sound like your dart moves some pavement!!
My dart sounds alot like yours. Stock looking sleeper is what I am going for.
Except the drive train obviously. Everyone says run the felpro. I guess that I will find out if they should have put the SD for SUPER DUTY in the gasket part number!

Small Block?? What is your cylinder pressure?

Yes it's a small block, I've never checked the cranking pressure, probably would blow my gauge up. Heads are aluminum small chamger W5's shaved .050, for a 47cc chamber, flat top piston .011 out of the hole with about 7cc's of valve relief. The 1008 is .0385 crushed. I run 110 or 111 race gas.

Ok I am not trippin anymore. The heads are on with the Felpro 519 Super Duty Perma torques. .054 compressed thickness.

Was another issue with the rocker gear. I need to use lash caps. Looked like the roller rocker was going to come off the valve. It was using almost the whole valve starting on the base of the cam thru full lift. I just do not trust it so Lash caps are on the way for tuesday. I also had to clearance the valve cover gasket and rail in 2 areas to clear the head stud nut on the sides with the breathers.

Here is a picture of the Mock up with the heads on.
Al 410 stroker motor 059.jpg

410 stroker motor 060.jpg

Almost there!

410 stroker motor 059.jpg

410 stroker motor 060.jpg

...Was another issue with the rocker gear. I need to use lash caps. Looked like the roller rocker was going to come off the valve. It was using almost the whole valve starting on the base of the cam thru full lift. I just do not trust it so Lash caps are on the way for tuesday...
use some shims under the rockershafts to correct the geometry. lash caps are a bandade fix.

use some shims under the rockershafts to correct the geometry. lash caps are a bandade fix.

These are magnum heads. If they were LA heads I would do that for sure.

I guess it would be a band aid fix if they were LA heads. But since they are magnum and the rockers are not on a pedestal.......no other way around it.

Unless someone has a rocker stand for these then I could maybe see not using lash caps, then I would have to change out the rockers to adjust at the valve tip instead. I tried every way possible to adjust without going this route. I dont see a way around it.

Got any suggestions?? Maybe I should start a new thread on the subject!

These are magnum heads. If they were LA heads I would do that for sure.

I guess it would be a band aid fix if they were LA heads. But since they are magnum and the rockers are not on a pedestal.......no other way around it.

Unless someone has a rocker stand for these then I could maybe see not using lash caps, then I would have to change out the rockers to adjust at the valve tip instead. I tried every way possible to adjust without going this route. I dont see a way around it.

Got any suggestions?? Maybe I should start a new thread on the subject!

i'm sure comp, crane or somebody sells shim kits. cant remember who at the moment. magnums are pedestals.

ok.. mabey i'm out to lunch here.. but i thought chevys/fords(some)/magnums etc were pedestal stlye.. ie: non-rockershaft

Crane99170-1.jpg

I am using girdles so I have plenty of thread for mock up to raise the rocker itself without buying shims, I messed with it for at least an hour raising the rocker up from 0 to 3/4 of an inch just to see if it would help with my adjusting push rod, then I would take it through a whole cycle watching the roller tip the whole time........did not help a bit and it seemed the more I raised it the more it wants to fall off the valve tip??? So the best it looked was with the roller tip starting closest to the intake valley or toward the rocker stud, Probably about 1/8 inch on the valve and at full lift it rolls all the way across the valve tip with about 1/8 inch left before it returns back to where it started. I just dont trust it at HIGH RPMS. It definately uses the WHOLE valve tip.

Where is the tip at 1/2 lift?

Right about 1/2 way across the valve tip. It seems to roll, once it starts constantly it never seems to push the valve down and stay in the same spot at all.

I will try and take some pictures of how it travels on Tuesday and post them into my other thread on this issue.

Are the magnums adjustable or do you just tighten down the center adjuster? If its adjustable like a standard Chevy then you need an adjustable pushrod to determine the correct length. When I build a Chevy I check the rocker sweep across the tip and if something doesnt seem right I try different lengths of pushrod (adjustable length pushrod) until its right. I only use lash caps when I am using a huge cam in the .800s. Otherwise the valve tip is usually sufficient. Pics would help but this is just some info for you think about. Good luck and it looks great!

Are the magnums adjustable or do you just tighten down the center adjuster? If its adjustable like a standard Chevy then you need an adjustable pushrod to determine the correct length. When I build a Chevy I check the rocker sweep across the tip and if something doesnt seem right I try different lengths of pushrod (adjustable length pushrod) until its right. I only use lash caps when I am using a huge cam in the .800s. Otherwise the valve tip is usually sufficient. Pics would help but this is just some info for you think about. Good luck and it looks great!

Yes I am using an adjustable push rod........I did a wipe test this morning I will post the pictures on the other thread I started on the subject in a bit......

It actually does not look too bad. I guess I am going blind, I should start using a magnifying glass........

-
Back