max Duster tire size

-
no problem...I get that not every likes that look (and its far from ideal, if that airshock blows shes done)
but I figured id toss it out there

Thank you 72bluNblu I appreciate your time, I may do some mods to get what I want.. any suggestions on the backspaceing on a 9" rim, and do you think a 10" on that rim would be safe?

Well, if we're talking about an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles you'd want a 9" rim with about 5.25" of backspace, maybe a little more if everything is centered well. If it's a SBP 8 3/4 then 5" of backspace.

Section width on a 275/60/15 is 11" wide, so, anything with a section width smaller than that will work. Spring to quarter lip on a Duster with the stock spring location and uncut/unrolled quarters is ~12", so you can clear an 11" section without rubbing. With a 1/2" offset and trimmed back quarter lips like mine it's ~13", just over. That will clear a 12" section width tire without rubbing. If you want more than that inside of the quarters you'll need a 3" relocation and a mini tub, because the wheel tub is the limiting clearance on my Duster, not the springs.

And of course not all these cars are identical, so it pays to measure your car to make sure your measurements match mine. Most are pretty close, but some are off by enough to cause problems when you start talking about clearances that tight.

Last edited:
Well, if we're talking about an A-body 8 3/4 with BBP axles you'd want a 9" rim with about 5.25" of backspace, maybe a little more if everything is centered well. If it's a SBP 8 3/4 then 5" of backspace.

Section width on a 275/60/15 is 11" wide, so, anything with a section width smaller than that will work. Spring to quarter lip on a Duster with the stock spring location and uncut/unrolled quarters is ~12", so you can clear an 11" section without rubbing. With a 1/2" offset and trimmed back quarter lips like mine it's ~13", just over. That will clear a 12" section width tire without rubbing. If you want more than that inside of the quarters you'll need a 3" relocation and a mini tub, because the wheel tub is the limiting clearance on my Duster, not the springs.

And of course not all these cars are identical, so it pays to measure your car to make sure your measurements match mine. Most are pretty close, but some are off by enough to cause problems when you start talking about clearances that tight.
Again .. Thank you .. I'm going to work on exactly what you've suggested.. maybe even a mini tub.

I ran a 28x13.5 comfortably, which is a et street or a 325/50/15. Springs moved in 3" and tubbed. A 29" tire doesn't fit well without moving the rearend back. I tried a 29x15.5 but it was very very tight. They didn't really fit inside the wheel well. I had a 15x10 wheel with 6.5 backspace and an a-body 8 3/4. Car was 72 duster. Best tire would be a 325/50 drag radial. Thats my opinion
just jack up the tail end and those N50s will fit without moving anything ;)

View attachment 1714981176
Me in 87'

-
Back