max effective cam lift for stock 360 heads

-

TimT43

Reaction score
I'm not looking to stuuf the biggest cam in without running into issues,but am curious if anyone has an idea as to how much cam lift can bone stock 360 heads effectively flow before it becomes overkill ?? 1.88/1.60 valves..9.2:1 comp. 360 engine.. 340 exhaust manifolds

Same answer as your first thread.

The issue isn't "overkill" it is valve spring retainer to valve guide clearance. That said, the stock port is said to only stand at or a tick over .500 lift. You may run into retainer to guide interference issues before that.

make sure you have retainers on the exhaust valves and not rotators as retainers....both intake and exhaust retainer should look a like

I'm not looking to stuuf the biggest cam in without running into issues,but am curious if anyone has an idea as to how much cam lift can bone stock 360 heads effectively flow before it becomes overkill ?? 1.88/1.60 valves..9.2:1 comp. 360 engine.. 340 exhaust manifolds

With an 'Hydraulic' Camshaft >

Lift ......... .490"
Duration .. 284*

Same answer as your first thread.

The issue isn't "overkill" it is valve spring retainer to valve guide clearance. That said, the stock port is said to only stand at or a tick over .500 lift. You may run into retainer to guide interference issues before that.

I'm going to go with this answer. I thought the .509 cam was based on the philosophy that it could be used on stock heads.

The heads are all done..Ya I trashed the rotators and went with the comp cam springs and retainers..Got my eye on a Howards cam with 450/465 lift..Little more than I was looking for but I'm liking the duration figures and 112 LSA..Just want something a step above mild

You "still" need to measure. It's a known fact that the Mopar heads vary greatly in retainer to guide clearance. I have seen .480" cams have issues in some and the .509 cams run fine in others.

The heads are all done..Ya I trashed the rotators and went with the comp cam springs and retainers..Got my eye on a Howards cam with 450/465 lift..Little more than I was looking for but I'm liking the duration figures and 112 LSA..Just want something a step above mild

Only 450/465 lift ? You'll be fine internally .

Ran Hughes Whiplash in my bone stock 360 and it kicked butt. Loved it. .512/.518 lift on stock 596 castings and std springs and OEM rockers with no issues.

-
Back