May not be going to Carlise!

-

CUDACOX

Reaction score
If our dollar stays this bad I don't think our gang of guy's will be going to Carlise!
We all love it and it's a great time but, It is getting out of hand to have to take such a beating..:protest:

Hopefully it will come back and you will all be able to go...

The Dollar the way it is will affect any US travel for me...NONE!
Moparfest...is this years option.
The Dollar, I don't expect a rebound of any kind for some time.
It's keeping me from buying parts!!! :(

Canadian retail is just as bad because our distributors buy from the USA.
...so ALL parts are pricy...
an Edelbrock carb could be had for $350 give or take but now they are chasing $600

The current exchange rate can sure put a damper on your spending in the US. I have a lot of car buddies North of the border and I cringe when I see the exchange gap this wide.

Yes the currency exchange is really bad. I didn't know it was that bad until I had a Canadian guy ask me if I would take 40% less cause their dollar was worth less....Wasn't it up 10 cents on the dollar with-in the last 18 months?

I cancelled my plans to return to Canada due to this. With the exchange rate and the cost of living I would have been taking a 50% cut in pay to move back. My company does not take the exchange rate in to account when being transferred between countries. When I moved the US in 2012 the Canadian dollar was slightly higher.

Florida is loosing big time on Canadian tourism this year, I know quite a few Canadian couples which are not going to Florida for the winter like they usually do, because of the exchange. The snowball effect rolls on. You end up paying close to double once you calculate the credit card charge in there.

If our dollar stays this bad I don't think our gang of guy's will be going to Carlise!
We all love it and it's a great time but, It is getting out of hand to have to take such a beating..:protest:

Given the situation, going to as car show doesn't seem to be a major issue, or your biggest concern.

That is ok.
The americans can come visit us and spend their dollars on tourism and they will get twice the value. So come skiiing, camping, fishing, hunting, moparfest. You could come twice for the price of once.

As for buying stuff from the south. It sucks that it is no longer at par, likely be another 20 years before we see that again. Should have been tucking american cash into a safe over the last 5 years to bring out now to be twice as rich.

That is ok.
The americans can come visit us and spend their dollars on tourism and they will get twice the value. So come skiiing, camping, fishing, hunting, moparfest. You could come twice for the price of once.

As for buying stuff from the south. It sucks that it is no longer at par, likely be another 20 years before we see that again. Should have been tucking american cash into a safe over the last 5 years to bring out now to be twice as rich.

Well said!

I cancelled my plans to return to Canada due to this. With the exchange rate and the cost of living I would have been taking a 50% cut in pay to move back. My company does not take the exchange rate in to account when being transferred between countries. When I moved the US in 2012 the Canadian dollar was slightly higher.

I don't blame you Clint! Stay put..

Renting a motel room that costs $115 and you end up paying $180 for it is no fun and frigs up a budget. It is like finding the part that you are looking for and the guy says $55 but when you get home that 55 has grown to 100.
40 something % plus credit card fees equals pretty close to 50%.

Well I made much earlier plans to go to Vegas in April, still going through with it, even though I'll take a beaten on my money.

Well I made much earlier plans to go to Vegas in April, still going through with it, even though I'll take a beaten on my money.

It's simply a matter of priorities, and individual choice on how, or where to spend your disposable income. There is no "right or wrong" to it.

I decided to spend 4 days at the Gator Nationals with my son, by brother and three nephews. It's an annual family outing.

I think the word that most millennials would apply is "preferences". ;)

-
Back