May not ship to Canada..all over ebay now

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I guess many of you have noticed this "May not ship to Canada" on so many items on ebay lately. I've read some things and people say if you just talk to the seller things will usually turn out to be just the way they were before but before this "May not ship to Canada" meant you were out of luck if you lived up here. Is this something weird that's happened with ebay recently? I've never seen this "May not ship to Canada" pop up just about everywhere before.

I personally don't do any selling on eBay, but let me add my two cents here as a seller of parts, here on this forum, from time to time.
I too am thinking of stop trying to send parts up north, into Canada.
I'm tired of giving mailing quotes to Canadians that *****, moan, cry, complain, to me what i quote to get packages across the border.
Why complain to me, as it's out of my control what rates are set by the USPS to mail packages Priority Mail International, by weight, and package size.
Complain to the USPS, and not me.
Then they try and beat me down on the price of the part(s) after finding out the cost of the mailing.
Well then, your other option is move over to this side of the border.
You may be one of the good Canadians that doesn't complain, but i have been finding out, that your a minority, these days.
If your in Canada your just gonna, hafta, suck it up, and bite the bullit, in the cost of mailing.
That's just the way that it is, in this day and age.
Shipping, mailing, rates by any of the carriers, have gone thru the roof the past the one, two, three, years.
If you have to pay customs, take it up with your government, and not me, the seller of parts.
Well one opinion to your question.
Please don't shoot me for giving it.
Just my reply to your posting.
Jim V.

Well let's just say I had a REAL bad experience with an ebay SELLER in CA. In the end it didn't cost me "much" just gas and time and gas and time and ......gas.......and time, and one HELL of a lot of aggravation....... and I finally got my money back, the abridged version......

1. Bid and won an expensive piece of equipment know as an "R.F. service monitor." I don't remember the exact model, but it was an IFR, either 1100-S or 1200S.

2......Sent the seller several U.S. postal money orders to total the amount asked for, I forget MAY have been registered mail

3.....He "didn't get" them and soon got nasty, accusing me of "not ever sending them."

4.....After weeks, I finally got a refund from the U.S. postal outfit for the money orders.

5.....THEN many weeks later, I got the MO's RETURNED UNOPENED with the correct address on the envelope.

6...."WHAT I THINK". I think the seller got a better offer, and used the "disconnect" in U.S. / Canadian tracking to his advantage, waited awhile, and just ignored delivery, "letting" the letter come back home. THERE WAS no message on the envelope as to explanation.

This thing........was in question and was well over a grand and a half U.S.

IFR%20FM-AM-1200-S.jpg

I recently had a camshaft sell on Ebay. A prospective bidder sent a message asking if I would ship to Canada. I had a 20 dolla flat rate shipping charge posted. I told him, "sure, I can do it for an extra ten dollars for a total of 30. I am sure it would have been more, but I was going to be nice and try to help a fellow man.....after all, we ARE on the same hunk of dirt.

So he bids......and wins. I sent an invoice the same day he won. Five days go by. He finally sends a message. "I am out of town, blah blah blah will be back in Sunday night and pay."

Sunday comes and goes. Nothing. That Monday marks ten days since he won the auction. I sent him a message saying I will gove the next bidder a second chance offer if he does not pay. He says "I will pay in the morning." Finally, the next morning he paid. With a Paypal echeck. Now, this means two things. One, I have to wait 6-8 MORE days until it clears. Two, I have ZERO Paypal protection since he paid that way. So I returned the payment.

I am out 12.50 to post the cam on Ebay. That's gas money for my truck I did not need to lose all trying to be nice and help a Canadian. I know full well the woes of shipping up there, as I have seen stories on here and I feel for you guys. But that's it for me. I am not going out of my way anymore.

I know it really did not have anything to do with him being in Canada. But I could have flat refused him. I didn't and I thought 30 dollars was a good price to ship a V8 camshaft. I am sure I would have eaten some of it. Crap like that makes me not want to help anybody. Much less ship anything across the border.

I have nothing against Canadians. But it is a pain to ship to them sometimes. I've also had some trouble free deals.

I've had a few bad experiences with shipping across the border, but I don't hold it against the Canadians, it's the shipping companies taking advantage of all of us on both sides of the border...

I have no problems in getting things to me if you do it the right way,and are willing to do some leg work and I get stuff from every end of the USA,mrmopartech

I have had good experience selling to Canadians, but a couple deals recently the topic was brought up about the poor exchange rate, and cost of shipping, so could I lower my price. I sympathized, but my price was no higher then if someone walked up to my door. I would like to help, but both those problems are not within my control.
What can a guy do? The biggest hassle I have seen is if the item is sheet metal, Then the problem is big.

It's just as much of pain in the àss selling to Americans that complain about the shipping to them from Canada.. I can't control the price but if I have a mission across the border I send it from that city on their side ... then I get a complaint t that it was still expensive but I spent my time and gas money to save them cash and still get a complaint.
I also get alot of Canadians complaining it's to expensive but I can't control our post office rates.
either way as a seller it's a pain in the àss but it's part of doing business...

In general I always try to work it out, and the people I have dealt with in Canada are the best.I have No complaints, and some of the worst chumps I have had to deal with were Americans. it makes no difference where an *** comes from, they are still an ***.

Can I say it....****!!! LOL Why can't people be a little nice and patient these days. My rating is still 100% and I've bought tons of stuff from the States for over 10 years I think including a 340 block. I haven't run into one block-head yet. The nicest guy was from here. He actually sent the parts before he got the money order hehehehe. I always have the money in paypal before I buy the item or ask if it's ok if they can wait a week for the transfer. The good guys suffer when things like this happens :(

There's great people all over the globe.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...world=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2050430.m2531.l4585

I understand it is more difficult, but the people who want to provide good service go to the trouble. I see the same issue from People in Europe. So many sellers won't deal with that area, and the people I deal with appreciate the effort when someone does go to the trouble. as Richie said, there are good people all over the globe.

Richie.
You appear to be one of the good Canadian buyers, but there have been so many lately, that haven't been, that make it bad for all the good ones.
Me personally, i am pretty much burned out, in looking up shipping rates, boxes that i need to package things in, wether they are flat rate boxes, or custom sizes, and then being complained too, that the mailing is costing more than the part, sometimes.
So what, i can't do anything about it.
For me it's not worth it anymore.
I know it works both ways on both sides of the border, but all the bad apples in the barrel have ruined it for the good ones, sorry to say.

I don't mind Canadians. I just don't like buttholes.

I sold a NAG1 transmission to a Canadian dude a few years ago. Didn't have the first problem. He was more concerned with paying duties on it than anything else. He had me ship it to someplace in New York, right by the border. He said he pressure washed an old turbo 350, and threw it in the back of his truck. Got documentation that he had a transmission in the back of his truck when he left Canada.
Got to the shipping place in NY, threw the turbo 350 in the dumpster, and loaded the NAG1 up and headed back to Canada. Showed his documentation about hauling a transmission out, and it was still there coming back. Said nobody questioned it at all. Pretty slick plan! :prayer: :cheers:

Shipping to Canada from the U.S.A. (and vise versa) is a pain. It's a two way street. I have bought several parts from several very good sellers in the States. Never had a problem. I've had them shipped directly to my home town and had them dropped at a storage facility in Montana. By far Montana is easier for you Americans to line up. Everyone I bought from was fine with "all the extra effort" it took to ship it either way. Some of them went way above and beyond with packaging to ensure safe delivery. Kudos to these great guys! I will continue to purchase whatever I need, whenever I need, when it comes available. If people don't want to ship here or sell to me because I'm Canadian, so be it. They'll find another buyer and I'll find another seller. My cash is good to whomever I send it too. And as for exchange rate.....if I want the part, I'll decide whether 25% on top of the cost is worth it!

Oh and there are whiners on all the chunks of dirt on the earth, not just here!
Ya, calling Canadians bad buyers bugs me. There are probably more troublesome buyers and sellers in the U.S. simply due to population. But I don't hold that against all Americans. :wack:

Please do not allow a few to speak for all of us. The vast majority of us are happy to Interact with Canadians. I sell Real estate, and I have had my share of crappy Buyers, and They all live right here. Not in Canada.

I have done over 700 eBay transactions with U.S. Sellers. Yes, I have questioned some shipping costs as calculated by the often inaccurate POS "eBay Shipping Calculator". Sellers usually agree and we work it out. I always provide Instant Payment via PayPal so the seller has immediate payment in their pocket.

There is a way to put shipping costs in perspective. Ask yourself how much it would cost you to drive to a flea market to find what you need and more often than not with scarce Mopar parts, come away empty handed. If you do find what you are looking for you can then add $100+++ to your cost of acquisition. That's expensive "shipping".

OR from the comfort of your own home you can sit on your butt and rifle shoot on the internet, buy the part and still be sitting on your butt when it arrives in your mail box! In the final analysis Door to Door is cheap. Think about it instead of whining and bitching to Sellers.

I ship to Canada, Europe, Asia, Australia, and all over the world! Never had a problem with any shipment to any of these places, you just gotta know who to use when and where! The shipping is the shipping, and if I have to adjust my price a little to get the deal done, I usually always do! Packing up a box to ship to Australia right now!! And, thinking of buying a part from one of our Canadian members.....if the shipping is not too crazy!!! :)

Yes, I have questioned some shipping costs as calculated by the often inaccurate POS "eBay Shipping Calculator". .

As an occasional ebay seller, this is the problem I have.
I've been stung and had to eat extra shipping before

I just had a cluster with the UPS and Paypal shipping sites.
UPS stonewalled me.
Finally got it resolved with the Paypal rep. But still had to pay extra because my account was dormant and there was a lag in the "discount".
There probably are ways in knowing how to not let that happen if one is savvy with the system.
But I just use caution. I'm not going to eat shipping to China.

Everyone is wired different. I've had people pay $125 shipping on a $100 part and not bat an eye. I've also had people ***** because a$15 part cost 15 to ship. Shipping prices seem to go up daily. I shipped a part to a guy before Xmas and it was $34. In the new year, same part, same location, was $77. Even my shipping co. did a double take. It's already been mentioned on this thread but going to swap meets, paying for admission, gas, parking, etc. just to come up empty will cost the same if not more than shipping....I know, it's still a great way to get away from the wife.

As an occasional ebay seller, this is the problem I have.
I've been stung and had to eat extra shipping before

I just had a cluster with the UPS and Paypal shipping sites.
UPS stonewalled me.
Finally got it resolved with the Paypal rep. But still had to pay extra because my account was dormant and there was a lag in the "discount".
There probably are ways in knowing how to not let that happen if one is savvy with the system.
But I just use caution. I'm not going to eat shipping to China.

Yes. Off shore is dangerous for many reasons but financially, now that eBay charges final value fees on the total INCLUDING SHIPPING, offering/selling a relatively inexpensive item/part on a worldwide basis no longer makes any sense. I setup my listings that I will ship to U.S. and Canada ONLY. As an example I sold a $39.99 part, winner was in India. Shipping was $100. Cost me about $17.00 in eBay fees on a $40 part. It's ridiculous. Never again. :wack:

I sold a NAG1 transmission to a Canadian dude a few years ago. Didn't have the first problem. He was more concerned with paying duties on it than anything else. He had me ship it to someplace in New York, right by the border. He said he pressure washed an old turbo 350, and threw it in the back of his truck. Got documentation that he had a transmission in the back of his truck when he left Canada.
Got to the shipping place in NY, threw the turbo 350 in the dumpster, and loaded the NAG1 up and headed back to Canada. Showed his documentation about hauling a transmission out, and it was still there coming back. Said nobody questioned it at all. Pretty slick plan! :prayer: :cheers:

Prolly the best idea to smuggle. Just saying. Could of been really bad to smuggle goods into the country. Plus it'd only be 13% taxes to bring it into Canada.

I normally ship my goods to Detroit, MI and bring them in myself. However I'd prefer not to have a federal record....

Riddler

-
Back