McQueen's '68 Bullitt Movie Mustang Revealed At Detroit Auto Show

-
I read that the stunt coordinators had to modify suspension, wheels and tires to keep up with the Charger.

IF you scroll about two thirds of the way down the article, the owner gives a timeline of their ownership. Including his mom driving to work as a third grade teacher!!!

On down toward the end it covers all the modifications pasted below. Sure sounded like a 10 speed transmission in the film!!

Both the ‘558 and ‘559 cars shared identical build specifications. Upon purchase, the cars were prepared by Max Balchowsky for the use in the Bullitt (1968) movie. These modifications included: Borg-Warner T-10 heavy- duty four-speed manual transmission, heavy- duty Borg-Warner clutch, 390 ci engine built by Balchowsky, milled heads, carburetor and distributor modification, 4:10 Positraction rear end, heavy-duty universal joints, 5-ton motor mounts, reinforced shock mounts, cross beam support bar, Helwig stabilizers front and rear, Koni shocks, heavy-duty coil springs, frame reinforcements, American Racing mag wheels, Dunlop 5:00 M-15 racing tires on the front, 5:75×10:40 15 Firestone GP Indy Tires on the rear, custom exhaust and a Shelby-type steering wheel.

I have never been a Mustang guy, but I can truly appreciate that car and its history.

Way cool that it still exists!

IMNTBHO the 67/68 is the better looking car relative to the generally more desirable 69/70.
The later car is more girly.
It's just me, I know.

Better put 24/7 security on that garage now.
Museum pieces have some value I suppose.
It's always good to think about who will get the car after I'm gone.

Found: the real Bullitt Mustang that Steve McQueen tried (and failed) to buy

Undecided what to do, Sean called his wife. “She got emotional,” he said. “You have to remember that an hour after my dad died, I had to go feed his horses. For the past year, I had been trying to figure out what I was supposed to be doing.”

Too cool. Now, where is the original Charger used? Is it even still around? Getting old means nostalgia hits harder foe some of us.

Did anyone see the first new X files on Fox? They had a new Charger chasing Mulders new Mustang, after he lost him, he started chasing the Charger.....Sound familiar? X files does a lot of things well, but car chases aint one of them.....

It should be. Apparently the car was sold to a dealer who then resold it. No mention of what the final selling price was...

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 "Bullitt Charger"
Thanks for posting the link, I was lazy!
The reason for the lower price on the Charger is not having actual solid proof.
That and it's not Steve McQueen's car! One would think they would be able to trace the history linke the Mustang, but I don't know how it all works. I miss my 68 Charger R/T.

IF you scroll about two thirds of the way down the article, the owner gives a timeline of their ownership. Including his mom driving to work as a third grade teacher!!!

On down toward the end it covers all the modifications pasted below. Sure sounded like a 10 speed transmission in the film!!

Both the ‘558 and ‘559 cars shared identical build specifications. Upon purchase, the cars were prepared by Max Balchowsky for the use in the Bullitt (1968) movie. These modifications included: Borg-Warner T-10 heavy- duty four-speed manual transmission, heavy- duty Borg-Warner clutch, 390 ci engine built by Balchowsky, milled heads, carburetor and distributor modification, 4:10 Positraction rear end, heavy-duty universal joints, 5-ton motor mounts, reinforced shock mounts, cross beam support bar, Helwig stabilizers front and rear, Koni shocks, heavy-duty coil springs, frame reinforcements, American Racing mag wheels, Dunlop 5:00 M-15 racing tires on the front, 5:75×10:40 15 Firestone GP Indy Tires on the rear, custom exhaust and a Shelby-type steering wheel.
Not so sure that 4:10 posi should be on this list of mods. I remember the Bullitt doing one very long burnout with only one tire spinning.

Not so sure that 4:10 posi should be on this list of mods. I remember the Bullitt doing one very long burnout with only one tire spinning.

There was a LOT of things wrong with that car chase, including the 26 speed transmission that Steve evidently special ordered, and the I-don't-know-how many times it was double clutched during shifts. And of course there is "speculation" on how many times various cars re-appeared in the chase scenes, the "VW" and the LeMans being at least two.

Even so, it was a hell of a movie

On a side note, at the time I was in Navy ET-A school at Treasure Island, San Francisco bay. We watched that in a tiny little old theater "downtown" and sat WAY up by the projection booth. You pretty much looked "straight down" at the screen and it made for some VERY queasy effects on your guts!!!!

Our huge ham radio club, at the time, on base:
K6NCG - Treasure Island Radio Amateur Club 1969-1970

The club building was out on the NW end of the Island, a good view of the SF skyline, the Golden Gate, and Alcatraz
hamshack.jpg

-
Back