mechanical (rigid) fan blade

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
Simple ? anybody using a mechanical (rigid) fan blade if so how's it working I see the Derale is rated to 8000 RPM http://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17318/overview/ please no suggestions on using anything different just considering due to space limitations and yes I have the Hayden 2765 only 1/4" clearance not good if a belt needs changed and want to toss the electric fans as far as I can --Thanks

Im using the same style on my 340. Havent been up to 8k but have beem up to 4k regularly and 5k every blue moon, no issues so far but im looking into a clutch fan or a flex a lite fan

I'm successfully running a teener A/C, 7-blade all steel clutch fan with a Ford pick-up thermo clutch,(Early 2000's maybe) to 7000plus for probably 12 years/125,000 miles.

You guys are losing a lot of horsepower, by changing fans you can feel the difference probably 20-25 hp.

What is needed for the switch. id like to use new components if possible. I have a one inch fan spacer on it now with the rigid type fan

They should just bolt on to switch. I did mine when I put a different radiator in and I built a shroud to work with it.

Attachments

• dragstrip (2).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 264
You guys are losing a lot of horsepower, by changing fans you can feel the difference probably 20-25 hp.

I have 400 more where those came from. On the street I'll give those up anytime, for superior cooling. If I kill my engine with an overheat, I will lose all 425 of them.
FWIW, on the street, I could not tell the difference between my current set-up, and a teeny tiny 6 blade full time aluminum flex-fan. But my engine sure could. You want my fan? Nearly new,very low mileage, a little dusty; just pay shipping and handling.

Where do you guys get your viscous style fans from? I know the original mopar part is discontinued.

A ferd thermo setup eh? Who knew that shitty ferd parts would fit so well on our fantastic cars haha. I'll have to check them out. Thanks

Again I have a clearance issue even using the shortest clutch available - IMO electric fans do not belong on our older cars I hate them - so do I give up some HP that probably won't be missed that much like post # 7 or use the clutch and possibly having to remove EVERYTING in front of the clutch in order to replace a 5-10-15-20 dollar belt that if happened would probably be in the middle of nowhere because of not being enough room to get the belt between the clutch and radiator again simple ? any experience from those using a mechanical fan

Im right there with you op, however i think i have a bit more room, but I absolutely refuse to go electric fan. I guess if its not broke dont fix it. She runs 180 deg all the time and even in stop and go in the summer ive only seen it up to maybe 185 or 190. A cool engine is a happy engine

If you spend a little time making sure all the pulleys line up, don't run the belt too tight, or too loose,she will last many years.My spare is still in the trunk, since about 2004.I know it sounds insane, but..........there it is.I wonder if it might have 100,000 miles.Maybe I should change it,just cuz. I really tried to remember if I ever changed it, but I just can't.
I think it's a Goodyear.

Aj how does the clutch actually work? Also will it bolt up to my water pump? Ones from mancini any good?

Aj how does the clutch actually work? Also will it bolt up to my water pump? Ones from mancini any good?

mancini is charging way to much for their clutch - I can't believe theirs is any different put 215049 clutch in google search and see what comes up also look at http://www.bpeusa.com/BPE215049.asp several companies use the vendors part number with something in front of it figure this out and save some $$$$$ mancini = 78.19 advance auto = 31.19

If you spend a little time making sure all the pulleys line up, don't run the belt too tight, or too loose,she will last many years.My spare is still in the trunk, since about 2004.I know it sounds insane, but..........there it is.I wonder if it might have 100,000 miles.Maybe I should change it,just cuz. I really tried to remember if I ever changed it, but I just can't.
I think it's a Goodyear.

Come to think of it I can't remember the last time I had to install a new belt so I'm going with the Hayden 2765 clutch

When it comes to protecting my engine, I'm not interested in cheap, or cheaper. I paid top dollar for the Ford unit, and like I said it is 12 plus years old, and still works flawlessly.

No, and no.
The clutch needs a clutch-specific fan,and
It can be a Mopar A/C, type, with the larger center hole, manufactured to accept the clutch.

OK your using a Ford pick up fan clutch (correct) but what's the length did some looking and I haven't a clue what your using the early 2's Ford truck uses one with a nut and late 90's are reverse rotation did find mid 80's but looks like they are 3.33" high

Attachments

• 2911245-1__ra_p.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 187
  • 2911238-1__ra_p.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 159
-
Back