Mecum Thursday, Another Duster goes for big bucks

-
Nothing like the sound, feel, and rarity of a Classic Car. It's like fine Art (History) to appreciate, and it's something everyone and their brother can't buy. Chrysler took the idea for that modern Challenger from the older ones...

Can't use Mecum are a general rule or base for future car prices. These guys are wealthy, have collections and money is of no concern where as us blue collar folks dont have said f you money. I witness people snub their nose at non rare non numbers matching A bodies that are not 100 point show cars "in general." 73 up A bodies are still the red headed step child that generally are scoffed at and get people typically offer slightly more than scrap prices on a hot build (sarcasm) you get the idea.

I have never been to a big time car auction, but I bet the knowledgable buyers there sift thru the cars hard and the guys with just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themsleve spend more $$ than they should!???
For a car to sell well there, it has to be the right model, but paint be perfect and new interior, detailed engine compartment (Clean and shiny) and shiny bottom???? I always wonder just how good mechanically and driving they are??
Free car show for me in my easy chair!
There are also alot of un knowledgeable folks too :)

yeah I think there are guys where money is just they have a few more zeroes on the end of their bottom line. Thus they can pay a few more zeroes than the rest of us can. That guy nay get that duster home and not like it, the old cars required knowing how to drive, no traction control or antilock brakes...no AC or ocup holders... then what the market dips he tries to sell and takes a loss... auctions suck for that. yeah you win but you overpaid.

We were at a car show here in Minnesota and ran into an older gentleman that used to drive/move the cars around and sometimes onto the stage at Scottsdale AZ Mecum auctions. He said many, many of these cars wouldn't start, wouldn't drive, the brakes were really bad, couldn't open or close trunks, hoods or doors. Oh yeah, and the pieces that would fall from normal handling of the cars, lol. He said the pressure that was put on the bidders was incredible. He said the young Mecum kid was the worst. Continually harassing bidders to bid higher through out the whole process.
As far as the locations go, Kissimmee is where cars go for the most. Kansas and Houston auctions will get you the same quality car for way less. This is mine and other people's observations from watching the shows over the years.

I would disagree that the Mecum auctions are only for the wealthy. I have been to a lot, and there are usually a good number of cars in the teens and some below $10k. The TV coverage doesn’t always show everything.

I agree that it is heavily populated with high dollar over priced cars, but that is not much different than going to a new car dealer. There I am usually only in play on the bottom end of the selection as well.

I have a car that was sold at the Mecum Auctions in Glendale Arizona 2020. I didn't purchase it there and I didn't pay that much more for it from the person that did.

Even in this picture you can see that the paint is not very good.
Mecum12.png

I got the car knowing it was a total teardown and full restoration. The car is very rare, 1 of 573 1969 Polara 500 Convertibles, 1 of 4 with the Magnum 440
These auctions are not all about high end cars, this sold for $8500. This car had issues beyond what you could see in person and in person you could see a lot of questionable work.
Point being you never know what you are getting.
2021-12-11_001.jpg

2022-03-19_005.jpg

Alan

$70,000 for a 14 second Duster????? How is it mechanically? Parts? Gasoline problems? A/C? Can't even drive it in the rain or snow in the north country. Needs a dry garage to store it in. No thanks!!!!

For $50,000 I can buy a 12 second Challenger with air conditioning, a nice sound system, a backup camera, better brakes, etc. ------And a factory warrantee!!!
my grandma got one of those $50K challengers, factory warranty came in handy when the lifters ate themselves.

Before Dad n I went and picked up the 67, we were contemplating going to Mecum in FL. Altho it's only on TV, lots of respectable cars roll across in the mid teens. Dads gone, but it's on my bucket list.
I would disagree that the Mecum auctions are only for the wealthy. I have been to a lot, and there are usually a good number of cars in the teens and some below $10k. The TV coverage doesn’t always show everything.

I agree that it is heavily populated with high dollar over priced cars, but that is not much different than going to a new car dealer. There I am usually only in play on the bottom end of the selection as well.

The Mecum in Dallas had people from all over the country. I think there were 1500 cars. I took a couple days just to walk around all of them. Kansas City usually only has about 700.

The hog caller and Mecum elite get their cut on the cost of the overpriced cars.
There isn't any car I'd pay a million for even if I was a billionaire, not even a 100 brand.
A fool and his money. LOL There seems to be alot of fools paying for overpriced Mopar's

I have bought and sold at Mecum. Just don't be stupid with your money and you can do fine. Stupid is as stupid does.

Not just Mopar's that's for sure
yup i saw 4 good cars go cheap as compared to many at 60 or 70k that shoulda been less then 4 nicer cars apples to apples but from a tv screen i think 1 was a 1981 turbo ta had like 5k on it 301 turbo dog motor 16.5 1/4mile pushed off a cliff 60k i think it was the buyer a blonde chick and hubby kissing lmfaoooo

Indiana, Pennsylvania, Illinois, went to Florida a few times, what a waste of time that was.

Last edited:
everyone can like what they want
I love dusters but they made alot of them
many features upgraded from prior
disk brakes std 340
nice scoops
ability to put a 10 inch tire under it easy
rally dash
light weight
upgraded intake and carb
According to my source book

1970 there were 192,375 Dusters made with an additional 24,817 340's
1971 produced 173,592 with an additional 12,886 340's.....just an FYI

According to my source book

1970 there were 192,375 Dusters made with an additional 24,817 340's
1971 produced 173,592 with an additional 12,886 340's.....just an FYI
which was my point they made to many to worth 70k
67 68 69 340 383 cars should be worth more i think they will be in the future
67 68 69 built far less then 70 and up just being built in the 60s imo whole other era
i love 340 dusters had one for 10 yrs 70k is foolish
yes the 70 71 cudas and challengers rock the world
thanks for the info i knew it was alot
still not like 69 ss chevelle 86k lol

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Hell a Hemi 'Cuda isn't worth a million dollars but they sell for that. How about the price of eggs right now? If you want eggs you WILL pay the price. If not YOU will learn to do without. That's how a free market works, like it or not.

From your logic a Plymouth Scamp should be worth more because they made less of them

Well unfortunately i HAD 1 of the 24,817 340's made in 70, last i saw it was on Ebay, I had chopped it up to try and make a pro street car out if it in the 90's:BangHead:

I had one of them as well. Got it from my brother that ordered it new in 1969. Very early built 1970 Duster 340/727 3.55 rear gear. No radio / no heater. Bench seat and floor mats. Forest green with black interior. We ran the piss out of that car for years. They weren't worth anything back then. Around 1979 or 80 winter time was coming so I traded it for a International Scout 2. The guy that got it wrecked and that was that. Boy I wish I would have keep that odd ball. But the Scout was a very good truck.

Worst part was it sat beside his dads machine shop and rotted into the ground. I would go by on my way to work and have to see it. Made me sick.

-
Back