Mercedes to charge subscription for more power

-
What happens when your annual subscription runs out when you are passing a semi and another car is coming.

You die:wtf:

First it`s heated seats, now this. People should just refuse to buy from any manufacture that pull these stunts. Hit them where it hurts. $$$$
I’m sure that would not happen. Probably have to cycle the key Along with a big warning.

Seems the whole world is heading in this direction. We wont own anything. Deere and Tesla ain’t much different.

Seems the whole world is heading in this direction. We wont own anything. Deere and Tesla ain’t much different.

I laugh at my coworkers who drive electric cars, and I make sure they know WHY. I also ****-talk the engineer in my department who bought a 6 banger Camaro. He would be just fine with some 6" bias plys.

For $1200, mercedes will allow you to unlock the performance of your vehicle, roughly 20% boost. This is no mod, it's merely to unlock performance that is in the car when you bought it that they purposely disabled. Just one more reason I don't ever want to buy a mercedes.

Mercedes is charging $1,200 a year for faster acceleration
I look at it this way.........It's probably more cost effective to build all of the cars the same way when they are on the line. This way, I can purchase a base model (no options enabled) right off the lot as opposed to "taking" whatever they have in stock......Maybe options that I don't want.

BMW tried a subscription to utilize apple play in their cars (ya know, something that is free on any aftermarket stereo). It failed miserably from what I understand, you'd think mercedes would take note that people don't want subscriptions and they don't work.

That's nothing! Just wait until they shut down your electric vehicle because they don't like what you just posted on social media or you oppose some other facet of their control over what used to be one of your revolked freedoms.

BMW tried a subscription to utilize apple play in their cars (ya know, something that is free on any aftermarket stereo). It failed miserably from what I understand, you'd think mercedes would take note that people don't want subscriptions and they don't work.

how long ago was that?

they have done studies. millennials would rather rent/pay subscription then to buy. i assume the analytics told them it would make them more mone or they wouldn't be doing it. be interesting to see if it actually works.

I think it was 2018/2019, sometime around then. I believe they did eventually change their position on it though.

I do t think it's a bad idea

Kinda like the roadrunner and your pay as you go for upgrades

Don't even have to get your hands dirty to get the go fast parts on

I wonder if you can put it in a valet mode when the wife or kids drive it?

My Mercedes has more than enough power, I don’t need to pay for any more.

I'm actually kinda surprised it's taken auto manufacturers this long to figure out how to get a piece of the pie from the now rampant business model of "recurring fee/subscription" that it seems is now everywhere and also that few consumers seem concerned about.

Have you seen the ads for apps that find your forgotten recurring subscription fees?

I wonder if those apps have a recurring fee?

I'd love to see a study of how many billions are made by subscriptions that people have forgotten about.

The last one I saw had the dope, er uh, consumer finding $260 a month in fees he wasn't aware of.

Is that a real thing?

People who don't know they're forking out $260 a month.

IDIOTS!!!!

Last edited:
This entire strategy means the manufacturers are SCREWING YOU the buyer. Why? Because the engineering and hardware has already been DONE and placed into the product, so YOU have already PAID for all of that.

This has been happening for some time with some other products. Some of the offshore test equipment, like oscilloscopes and spectrum analyzers and such, you can "unlock" them the same way for better bandwidth and other features. So all of that is ALREADY "in" the instrument.

As far back as the first generation "Pentium" chips.

Lower cost/slower versions were "crippled" at the factory, but other than that were identical to the faster ones.

Supposedly at first because there weren't enough lower end ones to meet demand.

Some could be "overclocked" to eliminate the factory cripple, but later ones were not as easy.

IIRC this was around 1997-ish.

-
Back