Metal in fuel water seperator.

-
We got 4 miles out of the harbor and down the beach, and his outboard motor seized. started up 10 minutes later and seized up again. Dipshit didnt have a drop of oil in his lower unit gearbox. Driveshaft needle bearings welded themselves together. Towed in with our tail between out legs...Oh yeah: Captain had a 50 foot anchor line and we were dead in 80 feet of water and getting drawn into some nasty looking rock outcroppings....there must be about 4 lessons to learn in this story. One is get a good Captain...2 is get a good boat...3 is dont take a lake boat out into the open ocean...4 is have some oars handy.

Don't go out with this 'captain' again. Doing so may turn you into a statistic. Oh, if you should, make sure your life insurance policy is good.

My thoughts. When people put a boat in storage they run the tank almost empty.. and add additives.. which causes air to humidify causing rust. Always keep tank full with additive when in storage.

Soo, first boat tanks are the first thing installed in the hull, before the deck, or....you get the idea. VERY tough to replace. Second, a boat gets about 1 MPG. a truck tank wont get you very far. Third, Boat tanks are either stainless or aluminum, wont rust. IMO.

Don't go out with this 'captain' again. Doing so may turn you into a statistic. Oh, if you should, make sure your life insurance policy is good.

Why do you say that? Nothing wreckless is happening, just mechanical issues.

We got the fuel pump off and the trigger part of the pump smelles like gas really bad. It seems like the fuel should stay on the other side of the pump and never go near the trigger mechanism.

Some older boats have galvanized tanks and if that is where the metal is coming from that tank is not long for this world. A boat, a bilge, and gas fumes =kaboom. Not something to play around with. One little spark and the boat blows apart. A small fuel leak will do it.

Some older boats have galvanized tanks and if that is where the metal is coming from that tank is not long for this world. A boat, a bilge, and gas fumes =kaboom. Not something to play around with. One little spark and the boat blows apart. A small fuel leak will do it.

I will keep that in mind. Although we did not get any more material out of the tank after draining it and changing filters after running it.

Why do you say that? Nothing wreckless is happening, just mechanical issues.
If you don't get out on a big lake, like one of the Great Lakes, you should be ok. I was out on the BIG LAKE once, Lake Michigan, when the boat kept dying on us, and there was a NE wind with 8 foot rollers. We were in a 18 footer. The only time I was concerned on the water..... Never went with that guy again. But it is up to you. I have gotten to the point where risk taking is not something I like to do anymore, at least at my advanced age of 59. LOL

Oh haha. The first time was on a very small lake and we had a friend with a boat right up the street. Yesterday we had another boat with us. He also has a sea to land radio on his boat. We try to be as safe as possible.

If you don't get out on a big lake, like one of the Great Lakes, you should be ok. I was out on the BIG LAKE once, Lake Michigan, when the boat kept dying on us, and there was a NE wind with 8 foot rollers. We were in a 18 footer. The only time I was concerned on the water..... Never went with that guy again. But it is up to you. I have gotten to the point where risk taking is not something I like to do anymore, at least at my advanced age of 59. LOL

It got a little dangerous at one point yesterday. Our rope broke and there was a barge down river about .5 mile. We were close to the bank so he would have missed us easily but it makes you understand how mistakes happen. We had another rope attached in about 1 minute. I have a boat also but I have been going with him to get the engine sorted out. Next time we will be going to a lake and I will be taking my boat also if no one else can go

-
Back