Mexican Valiant voltage regulator

-

karwash

Reaction score
I have a 66 valiant wagon 100 from Mexico. Wow! I think mexican cars are frankensteins put together with whatever parts they could find. ANYWAY...
I think my voltage regulator is shot...
It is not a standard part. It has 5 connected terminal leads. It can't find any part number, the only writing is New-Era made in Japan. (Go figure!) Inside are 2 Relays and 2 fuses. Help!! Can anyone lead me in the right direction to replace this beast!
Thanks
Gary

First thing is "what do you have" for an alternator?

Someone may have adapted something.......Japanese, etc.

Some off- brand stuff used Motorola alternators, which were a nightmare. But most other alternators boil down to a pair of brushes and a field winding, and one end of the field may or may not be grounded.

"In their day" you could use a 60-69 regulator on just-about-anything, from tractors to fork lifts to darn near anything........You hook it to a good ground, one wire to "switched" ignition power, and the other to a field terminal. The other field brush must be grounded

Thanks for he response but the point being I don't know what the other 3 leads go to and are they needed.

Has someone converted the car to an older model generator?

Can you get some pics of what you have.

Thanks for he response but the point being I don't know what the other 3 leads go to and are they needed.

How am I or anyone else supposed to answer that? We don't know what you HAVE

Depending on "what it is" you may not need the "other 3" if you can use the conventional Mopar regulator

Some of the "more complicated" stuff like 60's GM regulators was largely there in order to operate an "idiot light" circuit amoung other things.

Both Ford and GM regulator circuits were always more complicated than Chrysler, and Ford sometimes 'simplified' part of it on an ammeter set up

The fact is, in terms of the older external regulator systems, if you don't need an indicator (idiot) lamp, you can use either Ferd, GM, or Mopar regulators on any of those alternators. I believe that when you buy a "Ron Francis" regulator you are in fact getting a Ferd or GM regulator, even if only 2 wires are used:

I have a 66 valiant wagon 100 from Mexico. Wow! I think mexican cars are frankensteins put together with whatever parts they could find. ANYWAY...
I think my voltage regulator is shot...
It is not a standard part. It has 5 connected terminal leads. It can't find any part number, the only writing is New-Era made in Japan. (Go figure!) Inside are 2 Relays and 2 fuses. Help!! Can anyone lead me in the right direction to replace this beast!
Thanks
Gary

hmm googling new era 5 wire voltage regulator come up with an iszzu(SP) or toyota regulator yup 5 wire.

hmm googling new era 5 wire voltage regulator come up with an iszzu(SP) or toyota regulator yup 5 wire.

..............And just because it's on there does not mean it needs to be or is "most cost effective", best, etc. It may simply be that someone adapted something years ago.

Without photos, or other documentation, this might be hard to tell.

Years and years ago, I had problems with the built in alternator on my Yamaha 650 twin. This of course is before Al Gore invented the internet.

I replaced the rotor with a pulley, cut a hole in the front of the side case, and drove the smallest alternator I could find off a small belt, and bought a "non descript" 2 wire regulator from an electrical shop.

The Jap alternator I used WOULD have had a multi wire regulator. I wired it up just like the 69 / earlier Mopar------a two wire regulator.

Check up on Presolite generator systems. Pix are needed for anyone to help see what you have; a pix of the regulator and the generator/alternator are needed. Was this car a taxi before?

-
Back