Mid Plate w/ Solid Motor Mounts

-

mopowers

Reaction score
At what point do you think it's worth running a mid plate with solid motor mounts?

I've got a front and mid plate currently in my big block 66 Dart, but will be eliminating the front plate and making solid motor mounts in order to save some space up front. I'm trying to determine if it's worth getting rid of the mid plate too to allow more space for exhaust. The car will see some significant street time and have ~600 hp. I have a rubber trans mount FWIW. Thank for the input guys.

I would keep the midplate. Anything that helps stiffen the car is a good thing. And besides, you won't have to modify your converter again.

How about moving to a front plate? Any option for that?

Yep, the car already has a front and mid plate (and a full cage). I'm getting rid of the front plate though to build a set of solid mounts off the block ears. Just wondering if the midplate is necessary with those solid motor mounts. Since the car has a full cage, rigidity likely isn't an issue. I'd rather have the extra room for building headers.

upload_2021-2-5_18-9-59.png

upload_2021-2-5_18-9-47.png

From what I understand the mid-plate is completely unnecessary with any sort of front mount aside from a plate. The reason it is necessary with a front plate is flex in the front plate due to the long perpendicular (to the crank) arms.

Yep, the car already has a front and mid plate (and a full cage). I'm getting rid of the front plate though to build a set of solid mounts off the block ears. Just wondering if the midplate is necessary with those solid motor mounts. Since the car has a full cage, rigidity likely isn't an issue. I'd rather have the extra room for building headers.

View attachment 1715684443

View attachment 1715684442

Are /were you figuring on running that un trimmed plate / why , no wonder u think its in the way .

Are /were you figuring on running that un trimmed plate / why , no wonder u think its in the way .

Absolutely not! I was originally planning on trimming it up once I figured out which accessories I was going to run up front, but plans change. I'm going with solid motor mounts now. Just curious if it'd be worthwhile to keep the midplate. These early A's don't have a ton of room to begin with.

Absolutely not! I was originally planning on trimming it up once I figured out which accessories I was going to run up front, but plans change. I'm going with solid motor mounts now. Just curious if it'd be worthwhile to keep the midplate. These early A's don't have a ton of room to begin with.

I’d keep the mid plate. Ties the frame together in another location.

If I had my choice, I’d run an engine plate on everything. I would do it on my car but I don’t want to change anything else on it that can’t be changed back.

The engine plate is a much better, much more efficient way to mount an engine. The OE used what they did because it was cheap, easy to manufacture and assemble.

Any race car should be using plates.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. It's funny how plans change over time. My dad and I started this car years ago with plans for it to be a track only car, but over time I've decided to make it more of a street car and it's almost there. The front plate will be available soon. For what I'm doing with the car, solid motor mounts will work fine.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. It's funny how plans change over time. My dad and I started this car years ago with plans for it to be a track only car, but over time I've decided to make it more of a street car and it's almost there. The front plate will be available soon. For what I'm doing with the car, solid motor mounts will work fine.

Same here on the street part .

Yes sir - I took it out today. I picked up some big block motor mounts from Jim Lusk today too so I can start modifying them and making some solid mounts.

It was good to meet you. Made it home safely by about 9:30 last night, but that was a long day with about 8 hours of it on the road...

-
Back