Mig Welder Choice 110 or 220

-

80fbody

Reaction score
I'm a novice welder. I own a nice 220v Lincoln setup with gas. Done some small repairs. Striker replacement, fender repair, etc. Never tackled quarter panels. Would I be better off with a 110v with gas for the quarter panels? Have to keep the 220v welder really low or it will blow thru.

Thanks.

You could always get a piece of aluminum or other metal to act as a heat sink behind the metal, use small wire .23 for panels. But a 110/115 machine is more forgiving on thin gauge metals.

I have been using both. Seems like I can use the 220 for just about anything the 110 can except on very very very thin metal which usually will blow through with the 110 anyhow. If you're working with GOOD sheet metal, I think you'll be fine with the 220 if it has a good low setting on it.

The 220 will let you weld thicker metal if you need to. The 110 is plenty for sheet metal work though. If your blowing through thin stuff maybe your using to thick of a wire ?

Definitely will check on the wire, though I think I've been using .025 already. May try one of those magnetic copper plates. That may help.

if your hanging a quarter panel and your butt welding it you going to want to do spot welds ONLY! I would start by spot welding in all the corners of the panel to assure that it stays where you want it. You need to skip around alot as not to get too much heat into the metal and warp it. take your time and dont be in a hurry. when i did my floor pans i did a tack weld about every 6" all the way around the perimiter. then go in the middle of the previous round. keep going until you have one continuous weld all the way around. they also make panel alignment clips for butt welding panels.

I've always preferred 220 over 110. Once you learn how to weld you can do anything with a 220. It's not so much the machine as it is technique. 220 will allow you to tackle the thicker stuff that the 110 will require more passes. Practice on scrap first to get the machine dialed in then remember to disperse your spot welds over a large area to give it time to cool so you don't warp the chit out of your panels. Plenty of us on this forum that are willing to give you pointers, or at least I am so don't hesitate to ask. But I would go 220

-
Back