Mini Bike Tune-up

-

GREEN DART 5

Reaction score
It’s that time of year, for me. Pull the mini bike out and get it ready for use. It’s easy this year, all I have to do is tighten and lube the chain. I always drain the carburetor before I park it, so no maintenance needed there.....I got the rolling chasis off of Craigslist and the engine from Harbor Freight. When I added the header, I also re-jet the carburetor and it made a big difference. I didn’t think a spark plug could make a difference but adding the Autolite Racing plug also made a big difference..... Let’s see what everyone else has and any mods!!!!

AA8F57BC-7BB3-4A49-A237-244F59D78B75.jpeg

C19650D4-7B23-443D-A38E-60D697F09DDA.jpeg

E853EB26-CDD6-4408-8250-A54594744752.jpeg

I'll snap some pics once the snow clears, I got a few cheap go karts, which will be converted to solid rear axle (sure grip)

507D46A3-E3E8-4035-8B73-F0CB54DC5DDC.jpeg
I surely wish I still had it, I had to google it, but I started out on a 68 Honda 50.
Thanks, now I’m gonna have to go find one, except I have a car project to finish 1st.

It’s that time of year, for me. Pull the mini bike out and get it ready for use. It’s easy this year, all I have to do is tighten and lube the chain. I always drain the carburetor before I park it, so no maintenance needed there.....I got the rolling chasis off of Craigslist and the engine from Harbor Freight. When I added the header, I also re-jet the carburetor and it made a big difference. I didn’t think a spark plug could make a difference but adding the Autolite Racing plug also made a big difference..... Let’s see what everyone else has and any mods!!!!

View attachment 1715298287

View attachment 1715298288

View attachment 1715298289
Good Job, I must take some pics of 1 similar I have here to restore: its an Australian Deck'ston "Rockhopper" were actually made in Taiwan l8ke the Honda 50 super cub scooters
( this actual 1 I used to race against as a kid on my worked Honda QA50 & 40 odd years later I by-chance found it on online auction: I reckonised the critter that used to reel me in & pass me on back straight) Even uses QA50 Wheels & tires with a 3.5-4hp Tecemush (Which had a tossed chain hole blown in crankcase seller DIDN'T Point out on pick up.) Fixed that with that 2pack expoxy stick & fresh set of rings & valve seat grind. Fitted a S90 20mm Keihen Honda Carb & did that engine lap it up, with a teriffic slow stable idle & 1 pull starting.
I'm swapping the industrial eng out now & going to install a 3speed semi-auto 7.5hp Honda C90 scooter engine geared for granny 1st & removing 60 tooth sprocket & bolting on a Std QA50 repl sprocket (bolts straight to exact same qa50 wheel hubmounts !)
Looks a wreck now but only surface rust. Upgrading with Chinese throttle assembly (7/8" bars)...
Fun to be a kid again.
Snuck in a boring pic or 2 of the Rebuilt Tecamush before painting.
More base model Desksons didn't have the Sprung seat or Chrome Fenders (I need original Rear & fuel tank if an Aussies are reading) Saw one on 'Gumtree' AUST craigliat equiv Restored for $1500 - got th8s blown eng one in better COND for $45.
rps20190305_154351.jpg

PS if someone has a complete Honda QA50 front wheel & brake assembly p.m. me , as this bike came stock with QA rear drum brake only, no brake on front.Pls pm me: need Axle to but on other side incl brakedrum shoe backing plate.
Thanks Trev.

rps20190305_154658.jpg

rps20190305_154809.jpg

Good Job, I must take some pics of 1 similar I have here to restore: its an Australian Deck'ston "Rockhopper" were actually made in Taiwan l8ke the Honda 50 super cub scooters
( this actual 1 I used to race against as a kid on my worked Honda QA50 & 40 odd years later I by-chance found it on online auction: I reckonised the critter that used to reel me in & pass me on back straight) Even uses QA50 Wheels & tires with a 3.5-4hp Tecemush (Which had a tossed chain hole blown in crankcase seller DIDN'T Point out on pick up.) Fixed that with that 2pack expoxy stick & fresh set of rings & valve seat grind. Fitted a S90 20mm Keihen Honda Carb & did that engine lap it up, with a teriffic slow stable idle & 1 pull starting.
I'm swapping the industrial eng out now & going to install a 3speed semi-auto 7.5hp Honda C90 scooter engine geared for granny 1st & removing 60 tooth sprocket & bolting on a Std QA50 repl sprocket (bolts straight to exact same qa50 wheel hubmounts !)
Looks a wreck now but only surface rust. Upgrading with Chinese throttle assembly (7/8" bars)...
Fun to be a kid again.
Snuck in a boring pic or 2 of the Rebuilt Tecamush before painting.
More base model Desksons didn't have the Sprung seat or Chrome Fenders (I need original Rear & fuel tank if an Aussies are reading) Saw one on 'Gumtree' AUST craigliat equiv Restored for $1500 - got th8s blown eng one in better COND for $45.
View attachment 1715298642
PS if someone has a complete Honda QA50 front wheel & brake assembly p.m. me , as this bike came stock with QA rear drum brake only, no brake on front.Pls pm me: need Axle to but on other side incl brakedrum shoe backing plate.
Thanks Trev.

View attachment 1715298644

View attachment 1715298668
Even got Original Cheng Shin front n back tyres 45yrs later (good tread)
Anyone else have one of these industrial eng Bird engineering type mini (pit) bikes ??.
Learnt yes later I could've Geared up MY QA50 to stop this Critter blowing me off down back straight: the drive sprocket was 420 chain & SAME spline as bigger bikes, could've gone 1-2 tooth up & got another (hang on!) 5mph (milled the Head heaps & ran on military AvGas ;-) brew ).
Also learnt racing with its autoclutch disengaged with the gearlever held down you could do full throttle dropped clutch starts just by letting up on held-down gearshifter..got many a holeshot lol.
rps20190305_154619.jpg

I've owned this mini-bike for the last 45 years. Still start it up every once in a while and run it around the block a couple of times.
upload_2019-3-5_7-30-13.png

I've owned this mini-bike for the last 45 years. Still start it up every once in a while and run it around the block a couple of times.
View attachment 1715298767
Cool ! - I notice you've got a Torque-convertor fitted to the Red Devil. Parked next to the '27 turtledeck T roadster, How do you find it ?/
..the torques convert or ?, Not the T (wish I hddn't sold my Fat T Bucket :-( ) Cheers
PS I should've got stuck into this Red critter soon after I got it, Think the Honda Scooter 3 speed 7.5hp C90 Motor with S90 Cam '60's ohc & Carb should give it a shove along.Decades late, but life gets in way.

Nice thread! I love old mini bikes. Me and my daughter built this little scooter to use around the house and for a pit bike. Traded some parts for an old junk baja and tore it down to the frame. Little thing would pull the front wheel off idle and carry my 250lb *** to about 45mph. Predator 6.5 with OMB breather, jet kit, and home built header. The Torque-a-vert is the ticket.

10.22.14 I Phone 402.JPG

Cool ! - I notice you've got a Torque-convertor fitted to the Red Devil. Parked next to the '27 turtledeck T roadster, How do you find it ?/
..the torques convert or ?, Not the T

No torque converter on the Scat Cat? Just a friction clutch and chain. A buddy and his kid did a rattle can resto on it back in the 80's. Some day I'm gonna put it all back to stock like when I got it new in '74. The T belongs to him and it is all original.

No torque converter on the Scat Cat? Just a friction clutch and chain. A buddy and his kid did a rattle can resto on it back in the 80's. Some day I'm gonna put it all back to stock like when I got it new in '74. The T belongs to him and it is all original.
Thanks. 1st glance looked like a convertor housing.. 'Got a couple of new centrifical friction clutch's too but after freshening the 172cc Original Techumseh, it has that much compression after a Flathead V8 style Port n Relieve with Milled head its hard to Pull start, so I by chance happened upon the C90 Honda mill, with its lighting coil, ease of spears & matching chain to the drive sprocket (+ its gear selection) ...
Still interested in the diffence a t/convertor CV makes over the std ave 6:1 autoclutch gearing.
Std T Roadster ? They'd be worth a decent coin these days ! ( my T Bucket pickup was built off old "Fad T" Plans : suicide Front axle, Happy Days 'Ralph the Mouth" style Lakes headers etc. Still kicking myself ( but lost storage=unwanted Sale)
Cheers T.

Thanks. 1st glance looked like a convertor housing.. 'Got a couple of new centrifical friction clutch's too but after freshening the 172cc Original Techumseh, it has that much compression after a Flathead V8 style Port n Relieve with Milled head its hard to Pull start, so I by chance happened upon the C90 Honda mill, with its lighting coil, ease of spears & matching chain to the drive sprocket (+ its gear selection) ...
Still interested in the diffence a t/convertor CV makes over the std ave 6:1 autoclutch gearing.
Std T Roadster ? They'd be worth a decent coin these days ! ( my T Bucket pickup was built off old "Fad T" Plans : suicide Front axle, Happy Days 'Ralph the Mouth" style Lakes headers etc. Still kicking myself ( but lost storage=unwanted Sale)
Cheers T.
Nothing Exciting, but here's the Lump destined for the Mini .. Should bring a few memories back for some of the older Peeps With their S90's, ATC 00's etc 60-'70's Hondas ( wisest would've been dual range 4 speed box CT90 Farm bike, but those get snapped up here: This was a $20 odd deal )
Anyone have a mini Trike with a B & S or Clinton, Tecumseh ?? - go cart & minibike wheels , banana seat & easyrider sissybar ?.

rps20190307_194610.jpg

I did a bit of poking around on Australian EBay & nearly spat out my beer, jeez - the price of SOME used parts , gee I wish I put this under cover the day I got it. ! : $498 for a restored Engine ( bet its not souped like my Tecumseh 4.0hp - that 20mm S90 Keihen Carb & millied/relieved block n head & reground Cam with Ford Isky Grind & LCA on the Can really gave the Exh note a sharp bark) - Got a Top of the line bike. But the big 172cc Tecumseh Engine, weird...Found a repro Advert from the 70's if anyone finds interesting (I did) + a sample of used parts column.. $40 for a rear sprocket ! & the handlebars aren't even the CHROME ONES like mine, & the base-model bolt ons not the Chrome fold down:$150AU smackers !.
Think 'will be more in the fabrication part of the shop. Than online repl parts buying. That Darn EBay/Paypal tracking # requirement REALLY hikes the AU-NZ Post Cost ( its unrealistic + IF your selling & buyer doesn't like your item. Paypal reverses the Funds out of Acc)) - thieves)
No more minibike stories/Pics out there ?.
Should take this Drckson to Bonneville & go for Americas Fastest minibike :)

s-l1600 (49).jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-10-03-53-07.png

I put a 6.5hp preditor on my mini bike. Likes to kick the chain. You guys have any recommendations for a torque converter?

Ditto Hemi, that's what had happened to the Std 4hp 172cc Tecumseh on my Australian Deckston when I bought it ex Auction & was delivered (had throwen its chain knocking a hole in the crankcase cover, but the sneaky seller omitted to tell me:retreated back to his truck once $ handed over faster than the French Capitulating WWII )...
I've Incl a screenshot pic of a vertor on EBay, he's been selling for ages & currently discounted, just double check your output shaft dia - 2 x sizes: 3/4" & 7/8" I think , I"all go measure these autoclutchs for you. They have multihole drilled mounting bracket to fit many horizontal shaft engs both L head, ohv & Honda clone incl ohc. Just be careful about output chain size # too: #35, #41 etc.
Cheers Trev.

rps20190305_154619.jpg

Screenshot_2019-03-11-22-11-26.png

Screenshot_2019-03-11-22-12-16.png

-
Back