mini starter question

-

chi6er

Reaction score
Incase I can't find a mini starter in junkyard, I was considering Rock Auto. I looked at a 91 dodge truck with a magnum 5.2 as a reference. They have new mini starter and remanufactured ones. cost is somewhat the same as a new one goes from $60 to $120., while a reman one is about $50-$70 plus a core charge about $45. Question is, are the new ones junk, like made in China?, even though label said denzo or acdelco. and the reman ones are the originals refurbish, origin of real denzo? Which one would you buy?

thanks in advance

Jerry

I have a Chinese starter (brand new) from O'reilly's for a 95 Dakota in my Hemi barracuda. Seems to work fine

hemifish69;

okay, sounds good, I shouldn't rule out the new ones from parts stores. I have replaced starters and alternators on my other cars over the years, they were bought at the former o'reilly chain, I believe they chinese made, never had any trouble or failures.
I ride an electric bicycle, of the 23 millions they sold, 22.9999 million were chinese made, I haven't had any failures in any of my 7 ebikes.

thanks

Jerry

Over half of all after-market parts appear to be Chinese-made today, even when they carry Western brand names. The mini-starters are so small and light, you could carry an extra in the trunk and be way more reliable, assuming SB or BB owners carry the long socket extension to swap one. My 64 & 65's have another backup in that they can be push-started (even though automatics).

I stole mine from my 94 Dodge van and put the large rebuilt starter I had into the van. The mini-starter is now on the 318 Barracuda and works great.

-
Back