-

/6 Matt

30 Degrees Crooked
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm upgrading to a mini-starter using the swap outlined here:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105690&highlight=#105690
And here:
http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94621&highlight=#94621

I'm thinking of how the factory relay is on the inner fender, yet the 96 Dakota starter I will be using has a relay on it. Can anybody tell me in wiring-idiotenese how to wire this thing in? What wires need to go where? How do I identify them?

The car in question is the one in my signature. 1970 Dart, slant six.

I wired mine in the exact way the old big starter was wired in 3 years ago Matt.
No problems at all.

So you just put your large positive cable on the starter and the small whatever it is wire from the relay to what I guess is the pinion engagement soloneoid? Sorry I dont have the ministarter in front of me as my OEM starter died right before I got slammed with the flu, so I don't have the ministarter off the parts truck yet.

Good to see you back mike.

That's what I done on all the ones that I have swapped out and never had a problem.

for some reason those links aren't working for me..

i used a mini starter from a 98 ram. just wired it like the original big starter was and never had any issues.

So it sounds like it's pretty much bolt it in, wire it up and run it then eh? Good news. Thanks everyone.

And Joe, the links seem to be working for me but if broken links bug the living piss outta you like they do me, you know curiousity kills the cat, just go to www.ss.org and hit message>engine>FAQ>and scroll to "mini starters, more mini starters, and even more mini starters".

Got the starter off the parts truck and on the Dart! Works great! I slapped everyone's thank you buttons. Sure is weird hearing that ministarter turn over.

Just like Listerine. Love to hate it 3 times a day

The big relay on the side of the mini-starter is termed "solenoid". Your original starter has one, it was just inside under the bulge in the case. In some cars (Fords I recall), the solenoid was a separate piece.

There are actually 2 relays in the starter circuit, for all cars I have owned. Your key switch actuates the "starter relay". In newer cars it is often a standard "30 A auto relay". The output of that actuates the bigger "solenoid relay", which is probably rated ~200 A.

-
Back