Minimum Air Compressor Size

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking at air compressors and can only do a 110v deal due to my house electric. I want to a compressor that I can paint with but I know finding one with ~ 15 CFM and 20-ish psi in a 110v compressor is probably impossible.

My question is if anyone here is familiar with any guns that will spray (small stuff / not a whole car) with a lower rated compressor? I am looking at this one :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-20020/312624543
  • Ultra quiet at only 70 dB
  • Powerful 2.0 HP motor
  • Oil-free pump produces cleaner air for better tool operation, less maintenance and costs
  • 6.40 CFM at 40 psi, 5.30 CFM at 90 psi
  • 20 Gal. steel air tank with wheel kit makes it easy to move around
  • 125 psi maximum pressure
  • Low amp draw - 14 Amp
  • 2 pressure control gauges and 2 universal 1/4 in. quick connectors
  • Easy-start valve for less starting amperage
  • Thermal overload protector
  • Time to fill tank from empty to full - 4-minutes
  • 110-Volt/60 Hz
  • Recovery time from 95 psi to 125 psi in 1-minute
  • Less heat which dissipates more efficiently

I am just looking at running air tools like an impact, sanders, cut-off wheels, .... If I could also spray some epoxy primer to cover bare metal and spray paint on small things like manifolds.

If this compressor can't do that I will start looking at a lesser one that is cheaper and will still get the job done for JUST air tools.

Thanks for the input.

Have you looked into LVLP guns? They use less air, so you can get away with a smaller compressor.
Didn't know they existed. I'm a beginner.
Someday I'll have a place with 220 in the garage and hopefully I'll be a novice at that point.

HVLP turbine setups work well. My former EAA chapter had one for members to use and several homebuilt aircraft were painted with it, and some won awards. They work on 110V but do require at least a 15-20A outlet as I recall. However, I’d look into what it would cost to have an electrician wire in a 220 volt outlet for you. It might be less than you think.

Ask you this: Even though you don't have 220 "where you need it" do you have it "to your house?" You could "maybe" depending on situation/ length etc..........rig a temporary extension cord and...........

Maybe from the range or dryer? Or put an external 220 outlet at the fuse panel on a separate breaker. "We" used to just use plain Romex (nm or "non metallic cable) for temp extension cords, such as to run the welder, etc This is the common 2 wire plus ground used in the walls of your house. Use no.10 and a big enough rated outlet and you are on. Bear in mind this would be OCCASIONAL and TEMPORARY use

There are ready made 220V cords available that have the correct gauge and connectors. They can be less expensive than making one. I found that out after I made on for my lift that cost me more in materials at Home Depot than I could have bought a ready-made unit for.

I do have 220 for the drier AND the drier is now on propane so it’s freed up. I’ll call an electrician to see what it would take to get that 220 outlet rerouted. I had bought a 110v welder and quickly found out I would rather have a 220 welder too.

I've seen a whole car painted with a 2.5 CFM Devilbiss compressor and a harbor freight HVLP gun.

It came out nice.

I used that same setup to paint a car's roof and it came out nice too, even though it was only my second time painting something that size.

A good rule of thumb is to look up the CFM requirements of the tools you intend to run, and size the compressor based on those requirements. You'll probably find that a 110V 30 gal compressor won't keep up with sanders, cut off wheels, and similar tools.

I stopped reading at "oil free pump". It's a POS.

I do have 220 for the drier AND the drier is now on propane so it’s freed up. I’ll call an electrician to see what it would take to get that 220 outlet rerouted. I had bought a 110v welder and quickly found out I would rather have a 220 welder too.
I've got a 5hp 220v 80gal compressor and it is fed off a 30amp breaker so you have the circuit to do it. you could just run an 8ga extension cord (check Amazon) for temporary service or it would make more sense to have electrician put a 50/60 amp sub-panel in the garage with a couple of 220 and 120 circuits coming off of the box.
I put a 100amp sub in mine and have individual circuits for the TIG, MIG, plasma, 3-phase rotary converter, space heater, and two 120 outlet runs. Best addition I've made. Plus when I sell the house I can advertise as ready for the heavy-duty EV fast chargers.

I got a nice larger size portable from Lowes several years ago. I think it's a 30 gallon....5HP. I don't even remember. I am 100% certain it's enough to paint a car. No doubt in my mind.

And of course I looked and they don't offer this model anymore.....and chit! When did compressor costs get so dang high? To get one even close to the specs on mine they are like 750-1000 bucks now. I paid a tic over 300 for mine. Dammit man.

Most everything above is Spot On! The Sub Panel would be the way to go. How far from your main to the Garage? Voltage drop.. Man, it's actually Easy stuff. You could do it without anyone. Just do a Lil research. I HAVE seen people go to City Electric/ Greybar/ ect and custom build cords for Welders and Generators... much less cost than Home depots garbage materials. Anytime I can hit a specialty warehouse, I'm there!

And of course I looked and they don't offer this model anymore.....and chit! When did compressor costs get so dang high? To get one even close to the specs on mine they are like 750-1000 bucks now. I paid a tic over 300 for mine. Dammit man.
It's like everything else... Rob us Blind, use us up, and give the change to china

I am looking at air compressors and can only do a 110v deal due to my house electric. I want to a compressor that I can paint with but I know finding one with ~ 15 CFM and 20-ish psi in a 110v compressor is probably impossible.

My question is if anyone here is familiar with any guns that will spray (small stuff / not a whole car) with a lower rated compressor? I am looking at this one :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Califor...-Free-Electric-Air-Compressor-20020/312624543
  • Ultra quiet at only 70 dB
  • Powerful 2.0 HP motor
  • Oil-free pump produces cleaner air for better tool operation, less maintenance and costs
  • 6.40 CFM at 40 psi, 5.30 CFM at 90 psi
  • 20 Gal. steel air tank with wheel kit makes it easy to move around
  • 125 psi maximum pressure
  • Low amp draw - 14 Amp
  • 2 pressure control gauges and 2 universal 1/4 in. quick connectors
  • Easy-start valve for less starting amperage
  • Thermal overload protector
  • Time to fill tank from empty to full - 4-minutes
  • 110-Volt/60 Hz
  • Recovery time from 95 psi to 125 psi in 1-minute
  • Less heat which dissipates more efficiently

I am just looking at running air tools like an impact, sanders, cut-off wheels, .... If I could also spray some epoxy primer to cover bare metal and spray paint on small things like manifolds.

If this compressor can't do that I will start looking at a lesser one that is cheaper and will still get the job done for JUST air tools.

Thanks for the input.
OK. Oil free compressors with that little air flow are not the best way to go. I would HIGHLY recommend contacting the electrician. The cost to have a 240V source placed in the garage may be a lot more reasonable than you think. A 240 V source is just two 120 V lines run to one spot. Nothing magical to it at all. Notice I keep saying 'source' instead of outlet. That is because most 240 V compressors need to be hard wired. If you do decide to have the wiring work done, buy the compressor, place it where you want it and then have the electrician wire it up for you. Just about any 240 V, 5HP, 60 or 80 gallon (I prefer 80) compressor will do what you need. I sandblast, powder coat, paint, grind and cut with a 5HP, 2 stage 80-gallon tank compressor.
That being said, if you cannot afford the wiring or the bigger 240 V compressor, you can make do with the one you listed. I did it myself with a small oil free compressor for several years. When I say make do, I mean you can use air tools and paint guns, but you have to be careful AND patient. On my old compressor, I could use most air tools, but not continuously. For example, you can use a three-inch cutoff tool or orbital sander for a minute or so, but then you need to stop while waiting for the compressor to catch up. It will take a lot longer, but it is doable if you have to. Samd with painting. Do some research and find the gun that uses the least air. I painted at least 15-20 cars with that same smaller compressor. I had to stop every once in a while for the compressor to catch up, but layed out some very nice paint jobs with it.
In summation, you could get by with the smaller compressor IF you have to, but you will be fighting it a lot. Go with the 240 V one if you at all can.

OK. Oil free compressors with that little air flow are not the best way to go. I would HIGHLY recommend contacting the electrician. The cost to have a 240V source placed in the garage may be a lot more reasonable than you think. A 240 V source is just two 120 V lines run to one spot. Nothing magical to it at all. Notice I keep saying 'source' instead of outlet. That is because most 240 V compressors need to be hard wired. If you do decide to have the wiring work done, buy the compressor, place it where you want it and then have the electrician wire it up for you. Just about any 240 V, 5HP, 60 or 80 gallon (I prefer 80) compressor will do what you need. I sandblast, powder coat, paint, grind and cut with a 5HP, 2 stage 80-gallon tank compressor.
That being said, if you cannot afford the wiring or the bigger 240 V compressor, you can make do with the one you listed. I did it myself with a small oil free compressor for several years. When I say make do, I mean you can use air tools and paint guns, but you have to be careful AND patient. On my old compressor, I could use most air tools, but not continuously. For example, you can use a three-inch cutoff tool or orbital sander for a minute or so, but then you need to stop while waiting for the compressor to catch up. It will take a lot longer, but it is doable if you have to. Samd with painting. Do some research and find the gun that uses the least air. I painted at least 15-20 cars with that same smaller compressor. I had to stop every once in a while for the compressor to catch up, but layed out some very nice paint jobs with it.
In summation, you could get by with the smaller compressor IF you have to, but you will be fighting it a lot. Go with the 240 V one if you at all can.
The 2 stage, dual piston is THE ticket for building pressure/fast recovery. I had a Huge ol compressor years ago. 240, but a single stage. Hated to wait for it to rebuild pressure, it wouldn't DA the deck lid of an A body! It's not a big deal to make the connections in his main panel, or to feed a Sub. And I've wired many Air Compressors/ Welders and Generators with cords. You can hard wire tho, it ain't nothing but a thing. I would be more concerned with voltage drop from distance, and making SURE the main could handle the load. The fact he has an open Dryer circuit helps. It also depends on the Load at a given time.

My setup for 30 years has been a 220v craftsman 60 gallon "v twin" oil less compressor (with extension cord to the dryer at one time) and my only complaint is noise. A 220 compressor will outrun a 110 unit and never look back. Cord doesn't even get warm. When my neighbors piss me off I turn it on.

Only time I'd like more compressor is when using ultra cheap die grinder while porting cast iron with abrasive bits. I don't use abrasive anymore lol

Keeps up easily with an old siphon style gun and stupid easy with an HVLP gun. Just wish I could paint as good with the HVLP as I can the siphon DeVilBiss JGA

Minimum size compressor:

5 hp 220 volt motor
5 hp 2 stage compressor pump
60 gallon tank (80 is better).

In the house electric dryer outlets are 220 v.

I got rid of my big air compressor when I moved. I don’t use air tools anymore. I went to battery powered stuff. No noise & the battery impacts work better than air. You can take them to the junkyard with you too. However, I don’t paint.

-
Back