Minor glitch with my 727....

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
I took my car for a drive today, and once I hit the 2,000 RPM mark, the tranny shifted itself into neutral what it seemed like anyway. Because all it did was sit there and rev, until the RPM's when back down to under 2k.

It also did it, going up any hill, steep or not, even under 2,000 RPMs

I've never had a problem like this, any advice?

I have already checked the fluid level and it's good.

I have also developed a grinding/buzzing sound coming from the trans when I put it in reverse. Only started doing that AFTER a friend broke my cable for my B&M Shifter.(I have the cheetah just haven't installed it yet).

Uhh... if the shifter cable is broken how are you shifting it? And how does a person break a cable?

probably got burned on header.....

if you don't have the kick-down linkage on the trans...and you are driving it will burn up the clutch pac...as it controls the line pressure in the clutch pac...

Ok, I described the cable part wrong.... A few months ago, I made the mistake of telling my friend he could drive it, before he even left the driveway he over shifted the trans in park. He pulled on the shifter so hard, he ripped the tip off the end(the knob that connects to the gear lever on the side of the trans) I re-threaded the end of the cable, and put everything back together.

I was under the false impression that it had a full manual valve body, only reason I've been driving it, and lately it's been having a delay going into drive. So I haven't been driving it at all(maybe once a month, give or take)

But ever since the cable incident happend, there's been the noise when in reverse, it doesn't do it any other time.

That's too bad you got lied to about the valve body. If it was what you thought it wouldn't have hurt anything, in fact manual valve bodies don't require the throttle pressure linkage.

That's too bad you got lied to about the valve body. If it was what you thought it wouldn't have hurt anything, in fact manual valve bodies don't require the throttle pressure linkage.

I know, that's the worst part....wait, no the worst part is, the seller told me he had all the lokar kickdown stuff at home, the chrome stripping for the windshields, and the badges at home. He asked for my address, as he was going to ship them to me. I've called him many times asking for it, and he never returns my calls. I still have yet to get anything, he only lives about an hour and half(maybe 2) away from me.

I've been going around, manually shifting it this whole time, and never had a problem until now, then I find out I've got NO KD linkage, and NO FMVB.:wack:

I know, that's the worst part....wait, no the worst part is, the seller told me he had all the lokar kickdown stuff at home, the chrome stripping for the windshields, and the badges at home. He asked for my address, as he was going to ship them to me. I've called him many times asking for it, and he never returns my calls. I still have yet to get anything, he only lives about an hour and half(maybe 2) away from me.

I've been going around, manually shifting it this whole time, and never had a problem until now, then I find out I've got NO KD linkage, and NO FMVB.:wack:
Time for a road trip. Go get your stuff and some $$ back for repairs.

You have been lied to; manual=no kickdown. Buddy thought he was speed shifted a 4 speed? With no clutch? Never let him in the car again.

I've been thinking about it, trust me. I'm so worried about that shifter now, no one drives the car but me. I plan on calling the guy this weekend, I bought the car, May 27th, 2011. So I've had her almost a year, but I'm going to try and get in contact with him again, if not I guess it's road trip time haha.

Now my next question is, can I just replace the clutch pack? Or is the Tranny as a whole shot?

How sure are you the fluid level is correct? The add line on the dip stick should be at the same level as the "O" ring on the dip stick tube. Check the level in park and on level ground.

Did I say Park? Somebody smack me! Neutral was what I was thinking but my fingers said park......bad fingers, bad fingers.....

Ok, before work this morning, I jacked the car up, got under it and found out that I have a bad seal on the tranny pan, and the rubber gasket is kind of "crimped" in a spot, where tranny fluid is leaking from. So, I'm going to change to a silicone gasket, change the fluid, add the KD linkage, and Cheetah shifter on Sunday. Hopefully all this fixes it! I've got my fingers crossed.

And just out of curiosity, how many quarts should the 727 take? I've got a shallow pan, but I've also got a dedicated trans cooler as well.

Don't check it in Park but in Neutral

I don't know if it's right, but I was always taught to cycle through all the gears first and then go to neutral before checking the fluid level. However, being in neutral, an e-brake, friend with foot near the brake, or a wheel chock are recommended because even level ground isn't always level.

if you are dropping the pan only....put 4 qts in it...start in neutral and fill to the dipstick

Rubber gaskets always leak for me and you should never use sealer on the pan gasket

Get a cheap cork gasket

Since he said "silicone gasket" I bet he's talking about one of the new style gaskets like what's used on A518's. But that's just my guess.

As far as not using sealer on the pan, they make RTV specially designed for transmissions using ATF. The old stuff didn't seem to play well with ATF but the new stuff made for it works fine. Just a PITA the clean off if you ever take it back apart.

727 is 2464324ac

get that gasket from the dealer...rubber with steel core...does not leak..and is reusable.

yes..they could a few dollars more but if you have to drop the pan to fix a leak...it will cost ya more in tranny fluid...

727 is 2464324ac

get that gasket from the dealer...rubber with steel core...does not leak..and is reusable.

yes..they could a few dollars more but if you have to drop the pan to fix a leak...it will cost ya more in tranny fluid...

Yep, I've got another friend who works at Dodege, and got me one for free.

So, can I assume, that the leak, combined with no kickdown are causing my problems? I guess I'll find out on Sunday haha. Thanks for all the advice guys, it's been much appreciated!

-
Back