Miscellaneous questions to which I can't find answers....

-

Rat Patrol

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the assembly of a 6.1 - mainly because the service manual doesn't go into any detail -

Hoping members can chime in with what they know.........

1 - Can the timing cover gasket be re-used on a motor that has not been fired up (ie crate motor)?

2 - Can the pan gasket/windage tray be re-used on a motor that has not been fired up (ie crate motor)?

3 - The Main Cap bolts are Torque To Yield (TTY) - is the Oil pick up #3 main cap stud/nut TTY as well?

4 - Why do they recommend the use of a push rod retainer tool when removing the rocker arms and shafts?

Is it highly likely the pushrods could be dislodged and fall into the crank case?

5 - Why do they say not to re-use the pan bolts - these are not TTY so what gives?

6 - Will a normal valve spring compresser such as used on LA or RB engines - work on the Gen 3 Hemi head?

Thx in advance for your help.:prayer:

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure, but I just tightened it and called it good.
4. Dont know
5. Just re-use them and move on
6. I used my 3g hemi specific valve spring compressor on my dads 440, so it's possible

Hey guys - thanks and that makes progress far more likely.

The TTY question is the only one I haven't been able to get a definite answer on.....

Can anyone suggest a potential source to get an answer....I haven't mind calling International if I have to....

Just buy the APR main stud kit and be done with tty stuff !!!!!! --Steve

Just buy the APR main stud kit and be done with tty stuff !!!!!! --Steve

Agree that tty fasteners can be a PIA for people who tear down their motors frequently but wouldn't he then need to have the block line honed?

Just asking, because I'm not sure.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

From my perspective as an engineer - do not ever reuse a TTY bolt. TTY means that the steel has actually been yielded (ie stretched), if you reuse it, you stretch it even further. Would it immediately break? - not likely because there is some margin in the design - but do you want to take a chance and possibly destroy the whole engine? Not me!!

For a few $$, buy a new bolt. I Just bought 2 for my 6.1. One to replace the front main cap bolt that had to be removed to install the Milodon oil pan and another with the extension for #3 cap for the oil pickup (the small nut on top of this bolt is NOT TTY.

My $0.02

Jim

Jim

I have a replacement MC bolt and also the stud/nut for that very same conversion.

Are you saying that the main stud / nut used at main cap #3 is NOT TTY......or are you saying that the nut which secures the pick up is not TTY?

To be clear - I am asking about the stud and nut that is normally found in #1 MC but relocated/ replaced to #3 to secure the main cap - not the pick up.

Can you clarify if this stud is NOT TTY?

The tool you asked about can be found here
https://millerspecialtools.spx.com/Detail.aspx?id=766
It's not needed as I have done many many pushrods without it, but it's a nightmare your first time. It's used to hold the intake pushrods in place to align them for installing the rocker shaft. When removing the rocker shaft it's not needed.

The website above carries all the "special tools" found in the service manual. Just search the number under the pic of the tool from the manual.

Thanks 03ramit - Great link.

I've installed countless LA rocker sytems - so hopefully I'll be able to manage the G3 system without to much drama. :)

My main worry was that if the PRs could drop into the gallery and be lost forever!

Jim

I have a replacement MC bolt and also the stud/nut for that very same conversion.

Are you saying that the main stud / nut used at main cap #3 is NOT TTY......or are you saying that the nut which secures the pick up is not TTY?

To be clear - I am asking about the stud and nut that is normally found in #1 MC but relocated/ replaced to #3 to secure the main cap - not the pick up.

Can you clarify if this stud is NOT TTY?

The main cap Stud is TTY, but the small nut that secures the pickup is NOT TTY. I can't remember the torque off hand, but will see if I can find it.

Found it. The main cap stud is 28 NM (21 Ft Lbs) plus 90 deg turn. The small nut is 28 NM.

For reference, the part numbers for the main cap bolts are:
Bolt with extension for pickup 6506333AA (my cost in Canada was $7.43)
standard bolt 6506272AA (my cost was $1.75)

-
Back