Miss Maylene

-
Yeah, steelies and dog dishes are awesome. I run 14s BBP steelies with dishes on the Brick and they look awesome. When you go to find the 8.25 rear, see if you can round up a set of 14 inch steelies to go with it. Shouldn't be too spendy.

That's not a bad idea, I didn't think of that. What kind of place would drill them?
Frankly... I dont know. I would guess any good machine shop. If you have a local speed shop, ask them and maybe they can direct you to a place.

Alrighty well thank ya sir!

So I've survived the snowpocolypse. Got about 14 inches of snow total and it's around -5 degrees. We also just got power back about an hour ago. So time to warm up. Thought I'd show this cool picture our local new posted. Photo is from the 78 blizzard we had around here. I thought it was pretty cool.

Man you make me feel like a wimp. I cant bring myself to go outside and do some sanding and its only 26 here.

-4... brrrrr!

Man you make me feel like a wimp. I cant bring myself to go outside and do some sanding and its only 26 here.

-4... brrrrr!

Yeah it's pretty cold, I don't mind the cold though. I'm part Viking! I have family from Norway haha. But we ended up having a pipe bust, I had to crawl under the house and plug it off. Only cause my dad wouldn't fit. Now that was cold!

You got alot of snow, just real cold here.
I would find a correct 8.75 for the rear, it bolts right in and already has the correct sbp axles.

Honestly that's what I'm thinking sir! Thanks ya.

But first I gotta investigate if I have BBP up front. I have the large ball joint uppers so it kinda makes me curious. But with the cold, snow, and not trying to freeze to death, I haven't had time to check. That's my plan tomorrow to check....as long as it ain't to cold

WELL GUESS WHAT?!

....I got small bolt pattern. I had trouble getting the lugs off. She came with a lug wrench and turns out its totally the wrong size! So I had to get one from the garage.

Then I could not get the center cap off! Ended up cracking it, I was so mad that I ended up driving to town to cool off.

I tried to jack the car up and take the whole wheel off well that didn't work either, jack sank into the mud and I said forget that. So I put my thinking cap on and came up with this! I found some string, tied it a screw driver and marked it at 4 inches and 4.5 inches.

Well put a vice grip on the other side and stretched it acrossed....sorta like this

and thats how I found out. Little bit of jerry rigging but I think it worked. My dad think that it couldn't have work.

Now what confuses me to no end. How could I get large ball joints/uppers onto small bolt spindles? Maybe I did measured it bad. Im not sure.

The caps are bolted to the rim from the backside.

Lol! Your welcome Tony!! Actually just reading about your ordeal made me laugh!

:D Glad I could do something!

So I think I am going to go ahead with a large bolt pattern swap. I know people say I have the better discs already but my thing is the front is kinda screwy to me. With large upper ball joints and 73+ uppers. Id just be more comfortable with swapping everything to 73+ and I get a larger rearend, which I wanted in the first place, plus I love the "Police" Wheels and that would allow me to run them.
So adding up the price...

$400 for the rear and set up for the front.
Control Arm Bushing $25.97
Lower ball joints x2 $34.97
Ring and Pinion Sets ?3.55? $165.99
Rebuild Kit $111.99
Sure-Grip Differentials $313.97 can find them used for cheaper
plus some roller rims and tires.
Man its kinda adding up but I guess it would with a 8.75 too

Yep,'ya gotta love money pits.

She has a name! hahaha Im just weighing options right now. Id spend the same on rebuilding either type of axle.

Ill probably change my mind in the morning. Im kinda fickle

Well I'm in the same boat Tony. I switched out my small bolt pattern axle's for big bolt pattern too on my '72. I still got to pull the crappy front drum brakes off and put my disc brake's stuff on,but still deciding whether I want to go through with it.

Thats one of my things, its one thing to change rears but the front will be kind of a pain.

Trust me, I did it to mine, and it wasn't a terrible thing to do. Rebuilding the front was a bit time consuming, but I think a swap to disk in the front is well worth it.

As you figure your costs, don't forget that you can sell what you have now to reduce your total costs. The Kelsey Hayes sbp that you have are desireable and can be sold on this site, the sbp cars can re-use their upper control arms when they make the swap to the K-H disks. I can't remember if you have a 7 1/4 rear or 8 1/4 rear, but if you have a 8 1/4 sbp rear, I bet you could sell that too.

As you figure your costs, don't forget that you can sell what you have now to reduce your total costs. The Kelsey Hayes sbp that you have are desireable and can be sold on this site, the sbp cars can re-use their upper control arms when they make the swap to the K-H disks. I can't remember if you have a 7 1/4 rear or 8 1/4 rear, but if you have a 8 1/4 sbp rear, I bet you could sell that too.

Yes this! X2 on the KH brakes. They dont come cheap....the only bad news as I see it is that diff. It's a time bomb behind a V8...

A sbp 8.75 rearend just recenly sold on FABO. Maybe consider that route and switching your upper control arms back to small - those can be had very cheaply as people remove them when switching to BBP. Check out summit for sbp cop wheels.

Very nice car.Good luck with her.My 2 cents every time i use a chrome water neck they leak. clean chrome off gasket area:eek:ops:

-
Back