Miss Maylene

-
Good to see the fire,relit.... as for wheel color,what do you like? I like something like a argent silver,or something silver & iridescent (Dupli Color wheel silver,looks DEEP & shiny.).

Thanks, I had help though... I went for a cruise after work in my jeep well one town close to mine was having there weekend show, I guess the car come and park around the town square every weekend. So being the car guy I am, I went on through. Probably 30-40 cars there really of no one flavor. Muscles to moderns to hotrods to rat rods. Only 2 mopars though, 1 68 charger r/t (one of my favorites ever) and a 73 dart sport 340 4 speed (another one of my favorites). I'm not sure but the bug bit and I ran to my parts store. We will see what comes of it.

It depends on the wheel, I like shiny wheels but usually in the chrome flavor or dark wheels. Like I thought about putting steelies on it. I have an idea to test out.

Just popping in those car shows will keep the fire lit Tony. Maybe that's what I need to do....Lol!

I am a fan of the black chrome effect. It can be tricky to apply. I heard the Duplicolor brand rattel cans often apply splotchy.Maybe warming the can before use in the sun would help build more pressure and effect a more even coat?

How can a gas tank leak from the top?!

I've never put much gas into it, I thought maybe the filler neck but I pulled the gromet in the trunk but heck I see right where it goes into the tank...

I guess I'll have to drop the tank to find it...

When I bought my car the person who owned it before me had tried to mount a sub bass woofer in the trunk and drilled a couple of holes in the top of the tank. Every time you would put more than a half a tank of gas in it would slosh out and smell like it was a time bomb on wheels. My very first replacement was a new tank. Ebay has few choices: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fuel-Tanks-...8Cu.%20In.%20V8%20GAS%20Naturally%20Aspirated

When I bought my car the person who owned it before me had tried to mount a sub bass woofer in the trunk and drilled a couple of holes in the top of the tank. Every time you would put more than a half a tank of gas in it would slosh out and smell like it was a time bomb on wheels. My very first replacement was a new tank. Ebay has few choices: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Fuel-Tanks-...8Cu.%20In.%20V8%20GAS%20Naturally%20Aspirated

Hey tanks! (Drum roll)

All kidding aside, that's pretty silly. I'll have to find a new one, I'm guessing that the same thing or something close to like what happened with yours happened.

The good news is that after that she should be good to go.......right?

So this morning I went out and messed around with the car. I started it and when she gets warm she runs pretty good.

Soo went for a cruise. I figured what the heck it can't hurt.

She ran pretty good surprisingly.

After a little bit into my cruise I just pulled off the road and stopped. (Out in the country) I left the car running and just sat there thinking. What am I doing? I asked myself. I'm not a real gear head. Honestly the most work I have done to a vehicle, till getting the dart, was changing a water pump. I didn't have a cool car in highschool I drove a hand man down truck that was a beater. I never took auto classes or anything to learn about cars sides reading some magazines. But for some reason I have this passion burning for automobiles. I love the smell of unburnt high octane fuel. I love that blood pumping rush when your speed is climbing. The feel of getting shoved into your seat. Maybe it's just Midwest Hell raiser kind of situation I'm not sure.

It all started I know when I played soccer as a kid there was this guy that had a 72 Demon I'm primer grey, jack up rear end and loud *** exhaust. That guy used to rip up our little town, and I love that car. I guess not to long after that he killed himself. Supposly that car is locked away in some barn around here still.

After that my grandpa would tell me stories about his buddies and him building there first cars. Basically the purest form of hot rodding I know. Engine from an olds, merc rearend, frame from a model a. I've always wanted to do that. Just find peices and build something. That's just awesome in my mind. So I was destined to end up getting some old car eventually.

So fast forward to freshman year, I was looking for a first car but I didn't really make money, I was to busy trying to chase girls and playing sports. So I tried my parents, well they didn't make enough to buy something for me or let alone want me driving a hopped up old car. So all through high school I just dreamed about having something. I ended up graduating high school and going to college to chase another dream. I went off to school be this hot rod dream never really faded. I looked on local forums all day and night, studied all kind of things. But again it was just a dream.

At the beginning of my second year of college my grandfather passed away. In that same spring my grandma, his wife of 54 years, had passed as well. That last summer with him was some of the best of my life. In fact we got to go to a car show and I impressed him with my knowledge. Christmas of that year my parents gave me an envelope with money. My grandpa left me some money so I could follow my dream. Which lead me to buy the dart and go down this pass.

Now you ask, why Tony are you telling all of us this? Well it's the back story to this build and insight on what's going on.

The past year I learned a lot and seen a lot. I've lost the love of my life and best friends. Ive been on rock bottom and tried to climb out. I lost interest in a lot of my favorite things, including the dart. So this past week I had decided to sell the dart and move on with my life. So that bring us to the present, sitting on this abandon road in the middle of BFE. I had a fire relight. I have a burning passion for an old peice of metal and gas sucking v8. I had thought that this build was going to be easy but I was far from wrong. I was thinking of some show car or what not but that was the problem. I just thought all wrong. I want this car to drive, not only that but to drive anywhere I point it. So this is a goal, I will find some show or something at the end of the month, I will have it running and driving right by then.

List of things to do:
Replace gas tank
Replace sending unit
Get gas gauge working
Get brake lights working (reverse lights are on all the time)

Things I want to do by end of summer:
Strip paint
Get car in primer
Hopefully spray some paint on it
Put dual scoops on
Fix speedometer (needs new cable)
Find and install rearend
New tires and maybe wheels
Find block to start building. I'm thinking 360 right now.
Get trans checked out

It is a large list but I think it's all doable.
I'm planning on selling a few guns that I don't shoot anymore to fund the project.

Hopefully next update you will see some progress.

Night and happy Father's Day
Tony

Attachments

• image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 428
Good for you to get that fire re-ignited and your goals on the Dart Tony! Some days I get like that. I haven't messed with my '72 Demon in the garage for a while. Spending too much time working and working around home on the weekends. But I'll get around too it again.

Looking at sending units, can't figure out which I'm supposed to use.

5/16" outlet no inlet
Or
3/8" outlet 1/4" inlet
Or
1/2" outlet 1/4" inlet

Anyone with knowledge please let me know.
Thanks
Tony

Gas tank sending unit I guess since he mentioned it in a couple of post ago.

5/16 is stock.
Where have you hanging out at, have not seen you post in a while?

Cool project. You're fortunate to have found a car that is fairly complete. The grilles, especially with the "legs" sicking out of the back are very hard to find. Took me a year, and still ended up having to graft some "squares" into it.
I'm running a 318 in the Demon, Crane cam, Performer, AFB, & 302 heads. In installed the 302s as much for the smaller combustion chambers as I did for the hardened valve seats. I'm pleased with the combination that I have. Even your 318 is an interim motor, suggest using a 340 spec cam, or close approximation, to help get the benefit of the 4bbl.
Suggest a good photographic record to help stay motivated and on track. Here's some of mine. Good luck with your build.

Attachments

• 32_1.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 72-Demon-white-stripe.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 371
  • 58_0.JPG
    3 KB · Views: 358
  • 72 back seat small.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5014 small.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_6522s.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 363
Cool project. You're fortunate to have found a car that is fairly complete. The grilles, especially with the "legs" sicking out of the back are very hard to find. Took me a year, and still ended up having to graft some "squares" into it.
I'm running a 318 in the Demon, Crane cam, Performer, AFB, & 302 heads. In installed the 302s as much for the smaller combustion chambers as I did for the hardened valve seats. I'm pleased with the combination that I have. Even your 318 is an interim motor, suggest using a 340 spec cam, or close approximation, to help get the benefit of the 4bbl.
Suggest a good photographic record to help stay motivated and on track. Here's some of mine. Good luck with your build.

Thanks 2Dart, great looking demon!

Ahh,glad somone helped out. I completely missed the other post about the gas tanks sending unit. lol...Sorry bud!

Hey guys I'm looking for a 8.25 rear, if anyone has one or knows of one let me know. Please and thanks!

Been a long time, but started working on ol Maylene again. Pulled the tank. Going to pick up the sending unit soon. She will run tonight.

IMG_20160718_131806.jpg

Btter,picking up again. Wen't through a bad patch after my Dad died,but it might have been more weather related and uncontrolled stress due to a crappy contracter during renovations of our upstairs bathroom.My pain is once again well controlled,energy is coming back hard.

I got into my workshop yesterday,and hung those overhead jar thingies for storage.Started filling them,and might get a shelf and a bench cleared off,lol. Have 24 large plastic peanutbutter jars overhead filled with whatnots and thingamabobs...it sure went a long ways towards straightening things up.

Clean the carb up and install a kit my friend,it's probably dried out seals and crudded up anyways.

Sorry to hear about your dad. It's never fun losing a love one but we can not change it. Glad to hear the pains under control though. Hopefully it will get better over some time. I work with a lot of contractors, it amazes me how someones could let some of these guys work on their house. I find old coffee cans help a lot with extra parts and bolts, probably have two selves full of crap lol.

I will rebuild it but it needs new tires really bad. This engine doesn't have a lot more life in, it smoked pretty steady last night. I have a brand new 360 mag I build for my duster but honestly started thinking of swapping it to the dart, first would need to get a few other parts done on to. Or stick to the original plan on dropping the mag into the duster and taking that 318 adding some go fast goodies and drop that in. Not sure yet. but we shall see!

-
Back