Miss Maylene

-
Whatever fits the budget bud. Hell even a stock 440 would be a tire roaster in an A body. The b motor fits better though..

So went out to dads today, where I store my cars at, I was looking at getting new tires for the dart because the old one won't hold air and when looking at the fronts I noticed they have 73+ calibers on them and rear mounted. I was under the impression that I had the Kelsey Hayes which mount in the front? My car is a late 72 made in February I believe, could they have used the later brakes? The fender tag says factory disc brake. So just a little confused. I will spend some time Sunday checking it.

So here's the pictures I promised, appear to be later brakes.... the measurements for the bolt pattern were the same for front and rear. Appears to be 5x4.5. I've got some back pay from work coming so.i was going to buy new tires but I was thinking of getting new wheels as well since these are 14's. Was thinking of 15x7 all around and 205/60 up front and a 235/60 in the rear. Just a little rake. Also while I was digging around noticed the fuel line was is junk so I gotta replace that.

IMG_20160814_115305411.jpg

So was working on the dart last night. Still trying to get the thing to run half way decent. I can pump the gas and get it to fire right up. It'll run on high idle but as soon as it kicks off it will stumble like it's starving for fuel. I adjusted the idle speed screw but only could get it to run just a bit longer. It did back fire through the carb ones but I was trying to start and pump a lot of fuel in.

Any suggestions on where to start? I cant get it to run long enough for me to time it. Just kinda weird.

So new wheels and tires are on, 15x7 aero racing wheels with a 4 inch back spacing, 205/60 up front and 225/70 in the rear. Need to drop the front end a bit and she will be perfect. Still trying to get it running good though. Picked up a new fuel pump. We will see if that helps.

IMG_20160828_093747.jpg

Been sitting a while yes? Stale gas maybe. Clean that carb out yet?

Got a new tank with fresh gas, I popped it off and flushed it with carb cleaner. Maybe needs rebuilt, not sure.

So I believe I have come to a conclusion. I will use the Magnum I built for the duster. I would love to go big block but I have this build and ready to go.
So specs are:
360 Magnum bored 30 over
Stock crank and rods both were ground 10/10
Sealed power piston slightly taller then stock
Hughes prepped EQ heads with 2.02 valves and there 1110 springs, drilled for LA bolts.
Lunati voodoo cam # 20200715 Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 264/270 Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 213/219 Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .485/.485 LSA/ICL: 112/106
Mopar performence rockers 1.6 ratio, should bring the lift to around .512.
Rhodes lifters
Hughes pushrods hardened and stock length
Eddelbrock Air gap intake
Pro-form distributer with advance curve.

Haven't figured out a carb for it yet, something around the 650-700 cfm range. Should be a fun engine to run. Need to upgrade the trans so I will run over to A&A transmission and grab all the parts. Rebuild the one in the car. Rearend is the only concern I have. Can't find a decent used 8 3/4, know of a couple 8.25 floating around but not sure I wanna go that route. I have been looking into the 8.8 ford swap, I have a junkyard down the road from me that I am going to check out.

The goal right now is to build something reliable to take on hotrods power tour. So if I can cut the cost with using this engine then I should be able to get most everything else down then. Don't really care how it looks just want it to be fun.

IMG_20160815_151411251.jpg

Alright so got out and lowered the front end, really looks better. Also picked up a Bosch Tach looks pretty awesome I think. Playing with where to mount it. Compiling a parts list of things I need to get this bad boy swapped and ready for Power Tour!

IMG_20160908_201659.jpg

IMG_20160908_195243723.jpg

IMG_20160908_195252484.jpg

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.

So I ended up dropping that 360 into my duster. Made more sense because I built it to work with everything it already had.

So that leaves me with a blank slate to build the dart.

Ive really been thinking hard about it. I really want this car to be the car I wished I had in highschool. Basically like someone had raced around with it in the 70-80's and parked it.

I know I've told the story before but it really gets me going. When I was a kid there was a 72 demon that ran around my hometown. It was ratty and primer grey, black wheels, and loud. Kinda the same thing I'm going with now.

So... back to the dart.

I have to have a new rearend, I'm keeping an eye out for a 8 3/4. I know of a 8.25 in the area.

Next would be transmission, depends on power plant. But I really would like to go 4 speed.

So to power plant.
I have the 318 from the duster. It's already .30 over, plus I got a free comp 268 cam. Ive been thinking about doing a 390 stroker, looks like people are getting decent power. But I haven't opened up the 318 yet so could be a mess waiting to happen.
Or
I'm a huge Craigslist surfer and I have found a couple of B blocks for decent Money. I was really thinking 383. I think for the money a big block would be fun but not sure about the hassle of getting it into the car.
Really don't want to spend more the 5k on the engine.

So just kinda thing. Let me know what you guys think.

Build what your wallet can handle, LA engine would cost you less.

Build what your wallet can handle, LA engine would cost you less.
Probably. Depends what you do to it. A back yard shade tree rebuild would be cheap,but dont expect much more than 30 to 40 thousand miles out of it. Reusing all the stock stuff for either option might keep costs down. Going big block requires a big block bell housing trans,correct engine mounts,good rad and cooling system,probably a different driveshaft and definitely a stout diff. It's not just the big block ,but all the support systems that will withstand it's punishment that add up. Heck not even a stock 8 3/4 will hold up without at least upgrading the axles.
The stroker 318 would need some stout upgrades too no doubt. Torque wrecks stuff,lol. But you already have the 318. I'd at least open it up,have the bores inspected,see how thick they are. Rememer you sure can bore it out,but it has to be able to take it.Overboring thin walls can lead to overheating and loss of cylinder pressure,as the bore just isn't round under duress.So make sure you have a good block ,magaflux and sonic checks. If it's no good then this may infuence your decision.

Keep your eye open for deals. Something may fall from the skies..Lots of times shops have abandoned projects their looking to be rid of.

Alright fellows.

I just picked up a 8.25 rear with 2.76 gears. Plan is to rebuild it, add disc brakes from a jeep. Probably go with some 4.10's.

And a A833 trans with O/D, a Hurst shifter for a A body and rods, clutch, pressure plate, SB bell housing, and A body pedals.

And also attached is a picture of the engine. It's from my duster. It was a pretty basic build. 30 over, 340 cam, stock heads and stock bottom end.
The idea is to do a 390 stroker. Not sure 100% on the build. But Hughes stroker kit, thinking of Indy X hands in 2.02 vavles, was looking at doing a roller cam. That's basics.

Enjoy.

IMG_20170218_135228232.jpg

IMG_20170218_142132327.jpg

For what the stroker kit will cost for a teen, find another 360 and make a 408.
Or just freshen up the 318 and drive the wheels off of it.

But...the 390 is what he wants. And already has the 318,buying a 360 would add cost.

Ha! You need a tighter fitting hat my friend...I liked your demo. Both motors ran really well,great throttle response and idle.

Bought more stuff today at the Indy Cylinder Head Swap Meet.

I really do want to go big block just not sure about it.

IMG_20170304_135825694.jpg

Nice rims....I like those. I am going to miss all the early swap meets in my area.

Thanks they were pretty reasonable priced and I think they will work good on dart. I hear you, this is first swap meet I've gotten to in a few years.

How hard was it getting that big block into your dart?

-
Back