Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude, If this like a lot of the other stuff Tony has talked about it may not ever happen at all. Cant we reserve judgement until something is done?

Again, I made my comments giving the benefit of the doubt to all of them to do what they say they will do. Even if it takes a bit of time.

I just did a post on this, let me know what you think. I think that a 318 can be made to run good with the use of factory available parts. The only non factor parts that I would use would be the pistons. Heads, you have the choice of the stock heads, 302, magnum, what ever fits your budget and performance goals.
I agree, that yes a 318 could be made to run very well with the use of *some* factory available parts. but sticking to the concept of *only* factory parts is a lesson in time wasting, especially when aftermarket parts are not only better but more abundant and cheaper.

but again, this circles back to the initial exercise: what numbers could a stock 318 put up. any deviation from that idea changes the paradigm.

change one component and now you're building a different motor; and that, again, for emphasis, is not the exercise here.

darthspell.jpeg

Well Cley, I tell you why I say what I say.

I expect the average (that is just the AVERAGE) guy here on FABO can run a pop up toaster, mow his own lawn and do his own laundry. You might be surprised at how many guys cant do that.

But, I don’t think the AVERAGE guy on here is a moron. I think the AVERAGE guy on here is far above that level.

Evidently I’m wrong about what I think of the AVERAGE guy on here by the amount of **** I’m catching over this idiotic project. Go back and look at how many times I’ve openly criticized UT on here, or anywhere. It’s very few. Maybe only one time because that’s all I remember and that’s when that **** show deal that drug Nick’s Garage into a swirling vortex of fecal deposits. Other than that time and now, I can’t remember me criticizing or even pig piling on him.

So…I’ll say it again. Because of your post and several others, I will shift my thinking on AVERAGE here. Or maybe use a different metric. Because this project is just a bunch of mental masturbation and silliness.

I guess for me is the fact that DV and Andy Wood (whom I have a great amount of respect for) have agreed to participate in this debacle.

There you have it. I ASSumed that there were very few guys on here that could learn from a dumpster diving, used parts reclaiming, half assed machining project.

Clearly I was wrong. I apologize.
No apologies necessary. I am just not a seasoned hot rodder like lots of you guys. I do my own thing. This seems like something I might do. Now I don't have to cause these other guys are doing it.

Cley

My take, Vizard loves a challenge, He'll go to an extreme to make point. I hope they use the exh. mannys, but I'm skeptical it'll make the number with them, but it might. I haven't seen this proposal yet, or which 2bbl carb is on there, but the intake looks like an older single plane...so probably a 1 1/4" BBD. That means this is gonna be a restrictor plate build practically, a bit of a dance there.

How did that calculate fwhp? Most calculate for rwhp, because that is the only proven output by mph & weight....higher mphs start to get skewed by aerodynamic variations. But other than atmospheric correction, rwhp is what is evidenced by trap speed only.
My calculator says 292.9hp, if the weight is accurate, at the wheels.
weight/mph on ET/MPH From Horsepower Calculators is FWHP, been using it for 35+yrs, when I was racing and still do today for friends cars and its as accurate today as it was for my cars then if you use it correctly, and yes it works on motors that I know have been dyno'd here according to track known weight/mph under good conditions. I never weighed my car so yes its an educated guess knowing my weight and curb weights which vary, could've been 3550 I suspect so could be a few more hp and the reverse of that if less.

I made many runs over 2yrs in Street class competition in similar conditions at 1 track SPR where the DA etc. was always good, car never went over 101 with that old spec, ran 13.3 every run with 1 13.28.

I wonder how those stock replacement 318 valve springs are going to work out with that reground cam.
Along with the factory pushrods.

The one lesson I’m sure will be made clear with this endeavor is....... it will show the hard and expensive way to get to whatever number they get to.

One of the videos made mention of “the most for the least”.
Imo......This def won’t be an example of that.

I wonder how those stock replacement 318 valve springs are going to work out with that reground cam.
Along with the factory pushrods.

The one lesson I’m sure will be made clear with this endeavor is....... it will show the hard and expensive way to get to whatever number they get to.

One of the videos made mention of “the most for the least”.
Imo......This def won’t be an example of that.
#901 Comp springs may be a good choice. (Depending on the grind)

There will likely be many items, like the valve springs and pushrods, that get changed out for the OE spec parts.

Which is what it will take to(even come close to) reach the goal.

But...... as has already been mentioned....... it’s not about the “tech”.
It’s about the “views”.

A stock 2 barrel carburetor doesn't have the flow needed to support 300 hp because of the rpm's needed to do so. I don't know how much cam he's planning on running but he probably won't have enough compression to get the full benefit from the port work and the cam used. I'm not a expert but I'm sure that I won't learn anything from this build. I would take a whole different approach with the build and use factory parts other than the pistons and probably get better performance. I'm sorry about the red X I shouldn't have done that.
See my post at #42. Not saying you will learn anything from tony, but paired with the other 2 guys more than likely you will cause you are wrong about the 2 barrel for sure.

90% of mopar fan boys think a stock 340 was underrated and they really 350hp…so 318 horse out of a stock 318 can’t be any harder than bolting it to the dyno and doing a few jet changes….

The irony.

Which "Cause"? It has 2 usages in the English language both have very different meanings.
Slang is different that punctuation and spelling, especially when there is spelling check. No excuse. Thank god you are not an arms negotiator.

Slang? Thanks for confirming its FABO and it doesn't really matter. What do limbs have to do with grammar?

Kwel!!! Leet!!!! m8!!!!
Back in my old Hacking days, on efnet, irc etc everyone thought it was cool to make new words or change the spelling.That's when the internet was young and a 14.4 K modem was the ****..

weight/mph on ET/MPH From Horsepower Calculators is FWHP, been using it for 35+yrs, when I was racing and still do today for friends cars and its as accurate today as it was for my cars then if you use it correctly, and yes it works on motors that I know have been dyno'd here according to track known weight/mph under good conditions. I never weighed my car so yes its an educated guess knowing my weight and curb weights which vary, could've been 3550 I suspect so could be a few more hp and the reverse of that if less.

I made many runs over 2yrs in Street class competition in similar conditions at 1 track SPR where the DA etc. was always good, car never went over 101 with that old spec, ran 13.3 every run with 1 13.28.
20221110_225744.jpg

20221110_225820.jpg

Does this look like an accurate input?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back