Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, how much carb airflow does it take to make 300 HP And what RPM does it need to turn to get there? BTW and FWIW there is a formula that you can use to determine these things.

You can crutch a compression issue with cam timing but remember, some guys who populate this forum think that cam timing doesn’t matter, but it does in more that one way.

What approach would you use? I find that interesting.
I just did a post on this, let me know what you think. I think that a 318 can be made to run good with the use of factory available parts. The only non factor parts that I would use would be the pistons. Heads, you have the choice of the stock heads, 302, magnum, what ever fits your budget and performance goals.

I just did a post on this, let me know what you think. I think that a 318 can be made to run good with the use of factory available parts. The only non factor parts that I would use would be the pistons. Heads, you have the choice of the stock heads, 302, magnum, what ever fits your budget and performance goals.

Where is the post?

Obviously if they port the heads out to equal pro comp, carve the cam to comp's 285 spec's milled for 10:1 cr it would easier to use the aftermarket parts, but who cares, things don't need to be done for practical reasons, people build all kinds of impractical engines, I'd say most do.

Ok, if you think you can learn something from this, please watch the series and the let me know what you actually learned.

I could be wrong which is why I ask. I can’t see anyone who has a little more experience than a high school won’t learn a thing.

There are no secret “tricks” in making horsepower. It’s not voodoo magic. Especially not at this level.

Thats why I’m curious as to what can be learned by cobbling some **** together and that’s why I’m asking you to let me know what you learned.
Honestly I don't possess your infinite wisdom so I may learn something from this. I'm unsure why you are so against this. I'm not looking for voodoo or magic. Just some experiments and numbers to quantify the benefits or lack there of. I don't anticipate this will change my life in any way, however I find it interesting. I may learn that it was a complete waste of time but it's my time to waste. I do appreciate your concern for my use of time though, I really do!

Cley

I think maybe some of you guys might be missing the point here. Uncle Tony's picked a 2BBL 318 LA for this project because in stock form it's a vanilla motor and doesn't make much power. Real Hot Rodding, in my mind at least, is about working on what you have available and doing the best you can. This type of build will most likely be transferable to any engine. I'm a MoPar guy through & through, but having built hopped-up 4 banger and 21 stud flathead V8 powered early Ford Hot Rods, I live by the motto....It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast!

Best post on the thread! Sometimes it takes a wanker to point out the other wankers.

Hope you get the joke Baker.
True. it does take one to know one..
I wank on all those who wank below me..!!!!

when you're a broke 15yr old the difference between a few hundred dollars (magnum v intake/carb & cam) is astronomical. I remember those days... trolling the yards looking for 8.75's and intakes and heads and carbs. alas, no more. or just what I'm looking for now has shifted because that stuff doesn't exist in the yards anymore....

agree wholeheartedly. once the accessibility is gone the interest is not far to follow.
Yep. And it sucks

What exactly do you think you can learn from this?
Everything there is to learn..
Just like I read your meanderings, because even though your the forum Monkey, now and again you pop up with a banana of interest.

Exactly. Do 13 yr olds drive?
They drive their bologna to **** on the internet..

BB.jpeg

Imo, they should rebuild it 100% stock.
Dyno test it like that.
Then modify those parts that are on the stock build for the attempt at 318hp.

Any mention as to whether it will get tested with headers or stock 318 manifolds and a single exhaust?

If a 13 year old is on the internet, you've got more problems than Tony..
Hahaha

If only you knew. These days they're teaching kids the internet in daycare. Personal experience. I pull my kids out of daycare on "electronics day".

Imo, they should rebuild it 100% stock.
Dyno test it like that.
Then modify those parts that are on the stock build for the attempt at 318hp.

Any mention as to whether it will get tested with headers or stock 318 manifolds and a single exhaust?
I think this is a good approach. I think regrinding a stock cam is a stupid BS exercise. Just spec out a cam that's awesome and buy it like normal guys would do.

I think they should blueprint/build a stock engine, with basic upgrades. Stuff like a simple overbore, zero decking and flat top pistons. Then test otherwise stock. Upgrade intake and spec out a cam that really works with the basic combination. That would give a truly usable recipe that your low bucks hottodder could aspire to without trying to build some garbage. 99% of guys aren't going to pay for pro porting from the likes of DV. Maybe DV can SPECIFICALLY show exactly what simple, reproducible mods can be made to the heads.

That would be a good general and helpful exercise.

Their sticking with stock 2bbl carb and intake it would make sense they have to go with stock manifolds doubt the single exhaust though.

Honestly I don't possess your infinite wisdom so I may learn something from this. I'm unsure why you are so against this. I'm not looking for voodoo or magic. Just some experiments and numbers to quantify the benefits or lack there of. I don't anticipate this will change my life in any way, however I find it interesting. I may learn that it was a complete waste of time but it's my time to waste. I do appreciate your concern for my use of time though, I really do!

Cley

Well Cley, I tell you why I say what I say.

I expect the average (that is just the AVERAGE) guy here on FABO can run a pop up toaster, mow his own lawn and do his own laundry. You might be surprised at how many guys cant do that.

But, I don’t think the AVERAGE guy on here is a moron. I think the AVERAGE guy on here is far above that level.

Evidently I’m wrong about what I think of the AVERAGE guy on here by the amount of **** I’m catching over this idiotic project. Go back and look at how many times I’ve openly criticized UT on here, or anywhere. It’s very few. Maybe only one time because that’s all I remember and that’s when that **** show deal that drug Nick’s Garage into a swirling vortex of fecal deposits. Other than that time and now, I can’t remember me criticizing or even pig piling on him.

So…I’ll say it again. Because of your post and several others, I will shift my thinking on AVERAGE here. Or maybe use a different metric. Because this project is just a bunch of mental masturbation and silliness.

I guess for me is the fact that DV and Andy Wood (whom I have a great amount of respect for) have agreed to participate in this debacle.

There you have it. I ASSumed that there were very few guys on here that could learn from a dumpster diving, used parts reclaiming, half assed machining project.

Clearly I was wrong. I apologize.

Everything there is to learn..
Just like I read your meanderings, because even though your the forum Monkey, now and again you pop up with a banana of interest.

You can’t learn. You are unteachable. And you have a license. I can’t beat that.

Hahaha

If only you knew. These days they're teaching kids the internet in daycare. Personal experience. I pull my kids out of daycare on "electronics day".
Yep. The internet is nothing more than a conduit into other peoples minds..

Well Cley, I tell you why I say what I say.

I expect the average (that is just the AVERAGE) guy here on FABO can run a pop up toaster, mow his own lawn and do his own laundry. You might be surprised at how many guys cant do that.

But, I don’t think the AVERAGE guy on here is a moron. I think the AVERAGE guy on here is far above that level.

Evidently I’m wrong about what I think of the AVERAGE guy on here by the amount of **** I’m catching over this idiotic project. Go back and look at how many times I’ve openly criticized UT on here, or anywhere. It’s very few. Maybe only one time because that’s all I remember and that’s when that **** show deal that drug Nick’s Garage into a swirling vortex of fecal deposits. Other than that time and now, I can’t remember me criticizing or even pig piling on him.

So…I’ll say it again. Because of your post and several others, I will shift my thinking on AVERAGE here. Or maybe use a different metric. Because this project is just a bunch of mental masturbation and silliness.

I guess for me is the fact that DV and Andy Wood (whom I have a great amount of respect for) have agreed to participate in this debacle.

There you have it. I ASSumed that there were very few guys on here that could learn from a dumpster diving, used parts reclaiming, half assed machining project.

Clearly I was wrong. I apologize.
Dude, If this like a lot of the other stuff Tony has talked about it may not ever happen at all. Cant we reserve judgement until something is done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back