Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
All you can modify is the heads. Blue print the carburetor. 340 cam. I would not use 360 heads without changing the pistons and then I would have the block decked.
Far as I know only the stock 318 2bbl parts only to be modified

Far as I know only the stock 318 2bbl parts only to be modified
K. Well I don't think that 300 horsepower will be obtainable as the 318 cam is small .373 x .399 / 240* x 248*. Compression is like 8.5:1, intake ports and valves are small. If he uses a set of 302 heads that would help, I don't know if there is a 2 barrel intake manifold for the magnum heads. If he has to use the factory induction system and cam, then I really don't see 300 horsepower.

All you can modify is the heads. Blue print the carburetor. 340 cam. I would not use 360 heads without changing the pistons and then I would have the block decked.
Guess it comes down to how much cam can be ground out of stock one

Heads flow should be easy enough ported even with 1.78 valves, decent cr should be able with machining, two barrel and manifolds be the most liability, should easily make more than 318 hp.

Guess it comes down to how much cam can be ground out of stock one

Heads flow should be easy enough ported even with 1.78 valves, decent cr should be able with machining, two barrel and manifolds be the most liability, should easily make more than 318 hp.
Do you think that with port work and stock intake valve's he could reach his goal? What about the exhaust valve, would going to 1.600 be a good idea? A 9.0:1 cr would help

Do you think that with port work and stock intake valve's he could reach his goal? What about the exhaust valve, would going to 1.600 be a good idea? A 9.0:1 cr would help

With a streetable cam and cr a stock 318 head is good for around 300 hp up the cam and cr 318+ hp out of stock head shouldn't be a problem, well ported over 400 + hp.

The Cam size they can grind out of the stock cam is gonna limit what they can do.

The cost of the hobby has been ridiculous for years now. Even putting 360 heads on a 318 is a waste of time and money unless you are going to change the pistons to raise the compression. Milling the heads isn't cheap and causes port alignment and intake manifold bolt alignment issues, can cause push rod length problems too. I talked to a couple of highly experienced machine shops and they all agreed that it it's cheaper to buy a set of pistons then mill the 360 heads to raise the compression. One even said that the front and rear of the block could require machine work. You simply can't mill 0.060" off the chamber side of the cylinder heads and not expect for everything to line up with out issues.
Lol, yet some of Us do this on purpose for just that reason, there are benefits to Your "misalignment issues" if You know what to do with it.

The guy is dreaming for 318fwhp from stock parts in my opinion, trickery or not, keeps the followers going I guess.
Back in 1980 I bought a good running all steel full interior street/strip '71 340 Cuda, 10:1, 2.02 stock heads, ally intake, 750DP, hdrs, .484/284 cam, 3.55's 8x26" slicks and a 3500 stall B&M s/holeshot converter. The car hooked real well on its stock L/springs and snubber, would lift a wheel and ran a best of 13.28@101, put that into your calcs at around 3500 minimum with me and it comes out to 301fwhp with all ancillaries even allowing for some variations and yu reckon he'll get more with much less:realcrazy:

What size of cam do you think can be ground out of the stock one?
a better cam than you think. They can easily make a hotter cam than a stock 340 cam. I have a regrind in Drag Truck.

I just read this 8 page **** show, then I went back and rewatched the UTG video when he announced this project. If you're hung up on it not being cheap, go rewatch the video again. Maybe I missed it but I don't think cheap was the goal.
It's about optimizing output from stock parts. Will he reach his goal? I don't know but I'm curious to see so I'll follow along. If you are not intetrsted then don't force yourself to watch!
It's an experiment intended to show the potential gains from massaging stock parts. That is all. I don't think it's misleading anyone, it's a clearly stated goal.
Now if it were me, it would be part 1 of a series where that optimized engine got an aftermarket cam, intake, carb and was retested.
Then maybe pistons and another test. Maybe aluminum heads after that.
I will likely never have time to do **** like this or I would do it too. And maybe a 360 would be a better start so maybe "YOU" should do the same thing with a 360?
Just step back and take it for what it is. Enjoy it or ignore it, just don't let it eat you up inside!

Cley

I just read this 8 page **** show, then I went back and rewatched the UTG video when he announced this project. If you're hung up on it not being cheap, go rewatch the video again. Maybe I missed it but I don't think cheap was the goal.
It's about optimizing output from stock parts. Will he reach his goal? I don't know but I'm curious to see so I'll follow along. If you are not intetrsted then don't force yourself to watch!
It's an experiment intended to show the potential gains from massaging stock parts. That is all. I don't think it's misleading anyone, it's a clearly stated goal.
Now if it were me, it would be part 1 of a series where that optimized engine got an aftermarket cam, intake, carb and was retested.
I will likely never have time to do **** like this or I would do it too. And maybe a 360 would be a better start so maybe "YOU" should do the same thing with a 360?
Just step back and take it for what it is. Enjoy it or ignore it, just don't let it eat you up inside!

Cley

applause gif.gif

He said stock 318. A dead stock 318 will not make 300 horsepower.

How do you know that? Isn’t that the point of this idiotic build?

Since you gave me a RED X for one of my posts I’ll ask you a question.

What do you think you will learn from this build? What are your expectations? Do you think you will learn something that you can use now or in the future?

What do you think?

The cost of the hobby has been ridiculous for years now. Even putting 360 heads on a 318 is a waste of time and money unless you are going to change the pistons to raise the compression. Milling the heads isn't cheap and causes port alignment and intake manifold bolt alignment issues, can cause push rod length problems too. I talked to a couple of highly experienced machine shops and they all agreed that it it's cheaper to buy a set of pistons then mill the 360 heads to raise the compression. One even said that the front and rear of the block could require machine work. You simply can't mill 0.060" off the chamber side of the cylinder heads and not expect for everything to line up with out issues.

The cost of this hobby has always been ridiculous. If you think that in 1980, or 1990 or even 2000 it wasn’t ridiculously expensive you either weren’t paying attention or you weren’t there.

The simple FACT is it takes LESS money to make MORE power EASIER than it ever has been.

Your reality isn’t.

Cley

I ask you the same question I asked Dan The Man.

What exactly do you think you can learn from this? And what exactly do you think someone with not enough money to do it at least half assed is going to learn from this build?

I‘m curious because this same scenario has been played out for at least my lifetime literally thousands of times and the result is the same.

I‘m curious what you think.

I ask you the same question I asked Dan The Man.

What exactly do you think you can learn from this? And what exactly do you think someone with not enough money to do it at least half assed is going to learn from this build?

I‘m curious because this same scenario has been played out for at least my lifetime literally thousands of times and the result is the same.

I‘m curious what you think.
I guess I'll learn what 3 guys with different experience than me can make for power out of a 318 using all stock parts massaged the way they feel will benefit for making more power! I think that's the point of what they are doing.

Cley

I guess I'll learn what 3 guys with different experience than me can make for power out of a 318 using all stock parts massaged the way they feel will benefit for making more power! I think that's the point of what they are doing.

Cley
Beats watching the view

The cost of this hobby has always been ridiculous. If you think that in 1980, or 1990 or even 2000 it wasn’t ridiculously expensive you either weren’t paying attention or you weren’t there.

The simple FACT is it takes LESS money to make MORE power EASIER than it ever has been.

Your reality isn’t.
My question is what's the harm ? Learn something don't learn anything entertained not entertained, bet if this didn't have UTG attached none would of had a problem with it.

I like seeing 273/318 builds, not enough of them done.

The guy is dreaming for 318fwhp from stock parts in my opinion, trickery or not, keeps the followers going I guess.
Back in 1980 I bought a good running all steel full interior street/strip '71 340 Cuda, 10:1, 2.02 stock heads, ally intake, 750DP, hdrs, .484/284 cam, 3.55's 8x26" slicks and a 3500 stall B&M s/holeshot converter. The car hooked real well on its stock L/springs and snubber, would lift a wheel and ran a best of 13.28@101, put that into your calcs at around 3500 minimum with me and it comes out to 301fwhp with all ancillaries even allowing for some variations and yu reckon he'll get more with much less:realcrazy:
How did that calculate fwhp? Most calculate for rwhp, because that is the only proven output by mph & weight....higher mphs start to get skewed by aerodynamic variations. But other than atmospheric correction, rwhp is what is evidenced by trap speed only.
My calculator says 292.9hp, if the weight is accurate, at the wheels.

What do you think you will learn from this build? What are your expectations? Do you think you will learn something that you can use now or in the future?

What do

What do you think?

Cley

Ok, if you think you can learn something from this, please watch the series and the let me know what you actually learned.

I could be wrong which is why I ask. I can’t see anyone who has a little more experience than a high school won’t learn a thing.

There are no secret “tricks” in making horsepower. It’s not voodoo magic. Especially not at this level.

Thats why I’m curious as to what can be learned by cobbling some **** together and that’s why I’m asking you to let me know what you learned.

What do you think?
A stock 2 barrel carburetor doesn't have the flow needed to support 300 hp because of the rpm's needed to do so. I don't know how much cam he's planning on running but he probably won't have enough compression to get the full benefit from the port work and the cam used. I'm not a expert but I'm sure that I won't learn anything from this build. I would take a whole different approach with the build and use factory parts other than the pistons and probably get better performance. I'm sorry about the red X I shouldn't have done that.

A stock 2 barrel carburetor doesn't have the flow needed to support 300 hp because of the rpm's needed to do so. I don't know how much cam he's planning on running but he probably won't have enough compression to get the full benefit from the port work and the cam used. I'm not a expert but I'm sure that I won't learn anything from this build. I would take a whole different approach with the build and use factory parts other than the pistons and probably get better performance. I'm sorry about the red X I shouldn't have done that.

Ok, how much carb airflow does it take to make 300 HP And what RPM does it need to turn to get there? BTW and FWIW there is a formula that you can use to determine these things.

You can crutch a compression issue with cam timing but remember, some guys who populate this forum think that cam timing doesn’t matter, but it does in more that one way.

What approach would you use? I find that interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back