Mission Impossible 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hysteric

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This will be interesting, 1 hp per cube on a stock 318. Looks as though David Vizard will be involved.

If it was actually going to be stock there's no reason in hell that David Vizard needs to be in the picture. Unless he just wants to sit around and talk about how the stock 318 heads are "rubbish and belong in the waste bin".

A public display of turd buffing. What a waste of time. I can’t believe anyone is the slightest bit interested in building garbage like that.

When I was young, we ALL dreamed about the day when we could buy nice ****, massage it a bit and then use it. That day is here for the most part. And these guys want to go back to dumpster diving and putting lipstick on pigs like it’s a show of engine building prowess.

If you can’t afford a ******* decent intake and carb go do something else. Like golf.

Unreal. Just mind boggling. We are in retrograde.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out. But if they regrind the cam, change pistons, lighten the rotating assembly, and do head work, I see no issue getting 300+ hp. I'm sure the carb (are they using the GM rochester?) will get work.

A public display of turd buffing. What a waste of time. I can’t believe anyone is the slightest bit interested in building garbage like that.

When I was young, we ALL dreamed about the day when we could buy nice ****, massage it a bit and then use it. That day is here for the most part. And these guys want to go back to dumpster diving and putting lipstick on pigs like it’s a show of engine building prowess.

If you can’t afford a ******* decent intake and carb go do something else. Like golf.

I’m a little tired of watching Uncle Tony build these backyard builds. In this day and age, I personally would never put another red cent into a set of factory iron heads or use cast pistons & rods.

I'm definitely interested in what a properly built and blueprinted engine will do in terms of power. I'd also like to see it done in stages. Start with the basic engine, 2bl, manifold, stock cam etc. Then step it up incrementally and measure the effects. Richard Holdener does a lot of this kind of thing.

As far as what they're doing here, IDK the real value in it. I agree with @Rat Bastid they're going to polish a turd. Nobody serious would ever build a performance sbm with stock 318 heads, manifolds, and a 2bbl carb. That's junk a teenager would do because he's got no money.

Now, are they going to work some voodoo on the build in order to reap more power out of it? I might be interested in seeing what they could do, for example, cherry picking the best parts from all the magnum/LA variants and making something unique and showing what does what.

Just putting it in perspective, the stock teen is rated at 230hp @4400 peak. That equates to 274 ft lbs torque at that RPM.

If they use stock cam intake etc they won't get much more rpm out of it. I'll give them benefit of the doubt and say they turn 5400. Then they have to make 309 ft lbs at that RPM. That would be quite a dramatic increase with essentially zero real mods. I don't know how they'd get another 1000 rpm though. So if they still peak at 4400 then they have to be making 379 ft lbs at 4400 rpm. That ain't happening.

I ran an LA 318 with a summit cam, headers and 4 barrel. It fell flat before 5500 rpm. I really think its was the stock heads restricting it. I don't see what porting would do unless you could grind the whole length of the runner and even then the runners don't open up as much as the 340 360 casting.
It fell flat at 5500?

Just putting it in perspective, the stock teen is rated at 230hp @4400 peak. That equates to 274 ft lbs torque at that RPM.

If they use stock cam intake etc they won't get much more rpm out of it. I'll give them benefit of the doubt and say they turn 5400. Then they have to make 309 ft lbs at that RPM. That would be quite a dramatic increase with essentially zero real mods. I don't know how they'd get another 1000 rpm though. So if they still peak at 4400 then they have to be making 379 ft lbs at 4400 rpm. That ain't happening.
I think they are regrinding the cam and doing other "metal grinding" ... I would suspect heads for sure,, maybe even lighten the rotating assembly.

This will be interesting, 1 hp per cube on a stock 318. Looks as though David Vizard will be involved.

What is interesting about it? Why would anyone even waste their time and or efforts and also how does it even remotely relate to the average home builder? Home builders aren't able to do the machine work and all the porting and grinding that they will all be doing on that. Anyone that respects their money will spend the same and do a 408 or 416 build and have 50% or more power and torque.......the whole build is pointless in this day and age.

If it was actually going to be stock there's no reason in hell that David Vizard needs to be in the picture. Unless he just wants to sit around and talk about how the stock 318 heads are "rubbish and belong in the waste bin".
Which they are rubbish and belong in the scrap bin

I commented the same thing to Tony in the comments on his video, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back